Texas Fishing Forum

Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits!

Posted By: JohnF67

Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 03:29 PM

As usual I fished Lady Bird Lake this weekend, and for the first time in my life I hit triple digits- 111 Bluegill/Sunfish and 1 Bass. I put in at Stephen F. Austin HS at just after 6am, headed upstream, went around Red Bud Island and fished my way back to the ramp. Weather was 69 Degrees and dead calm when I put in, was 91 Degrees with about a ten mph wind from the West/NW when I finished. Not a cloud in the sky. Water is 79.8 per my Lowrance.

I found the beds with a Strike King Bitsy Minnow crankbait, which seemed to attract the big fish. Once they got bored with the crankbait I'd switch to Gulp Minnows in Emerald Shad and Chartreuse Shad (though color didn't seem to matter at all) on a 1/64th OZ jig head, fished like a swim bait, that brought in the numbers (and the one LMB) for the day. No really big fish, but some pretty ones.

First fish of the day was a Long Eared Sunfish, not far from the ramp.

[Linked Image]

The "big" fish of the day.

[Linked Image]

A couple of small, but really pretty fish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The token LMB
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 04:30 PM

Great day.! Those have some of the best colors I have seen all year. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 04:54 PM

Nicely done! thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 08:02 PM

Solid post and some solid fish. Awesome job! thumb

Side Note: Any of the fish still spawning? noidea
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 08:45 PM

Great report thumb Thank you for sharing, I love Ladybird Lake.

Just for you information

Picture 1: Redbreast Sunfish
Picture 2: Bluegill
Picture 3: Longear Sunfish
Picture 4: Red spotted sunfish
Picture 5: Green carp grin
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/15/20 10:33 PM

Great photography on those sunfish !

What camera and image editor do you use ?
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/16/20 11:13 AM

Love your reports JohnF67. Looks like you are having a super year so far. Keep up the great fishing. woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/16/20 12:11 PM

Nice fish. Enjoy those Austin area post. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/16/20 01:08 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been a great year so far on LBL.

Vogey- I don't know if it's the shallow, clear water or their diet, but the sunfish at Lady Bird Lake have the best color I've caught. It's only about 30 miles from Lake Georgetown (my other go to lake) but the colors of the fish don't compare.

Banker- I think the spawn is over at LBL, I haven't caught any spawning fish in a couple of weeks.

J-Moe- I always just assume if I see a long "ear" that it's a Longear Sunfish, I forget that that Redbreast takes priority so to speak.

Doc- I just use my iPhone (I think mine is an iPhone 8) to take all of my pictures and don't edit them at all except to rotate them the right way. The phone makes me look like a decent photographer.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/18/20 02:18 PM

Looks like you had an awesome day, thanks for sharing! cheers
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/18/20 10:54 PM

Nice fish thumb
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/19/20 01:50 PM

The first fish is a redbreast sunfish, the second is a coppernose bluegill, the third is a longear sunfish, the fourth is a redspotted sunfish.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/19/20 02:47 PM

Beautiful fish.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/19/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnF67
Thanks everyone. It's been a great year so far on LBL.

Vogey- I don't know if it's the shallow, clear water or their diet, but the sunfish at Lady Bird Lake have the best color I've caught. It's only about 30 miles from Lake Georgetown (my other go to lake) but the colors of the fish don't compare.

Banker- I think the spawn is over at LBL, I haven't caught any spawning fish in a couple of weeks.

J-Moe- I always just assume if I see a long "ear" that it's a Longear Sunfish, I forget that that Redbreast takes priority so to speak.

Doc- I just use my iPhone (I think mine is an iPhone 8) to take all of my pictures and don't edit them at all except to rotate them the right way. The phone makes me look like a decent photographer.

Thanks! Hope to be fishing the LBL soon! thumb
Posted By: SK.

Re: Lady Bird Lake 6/14/20 - Triple Digits! - 06/20/20 04:02 PM

That's a lot of catchn...... Stay At'um....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum