Texas Fishing Forum

Lady Bird Lake! 5-22.

Posted By: Laker One

Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/23/20 02:05 PM

Fished Lady Bird Lake with my my good buddy Jeff. Launched our Kayaks on the west side of IH 35. We fished from 10am till 2pm and had to fight the wind the whole trip. We fished the west side and stayed close to the bank the whole trip due to the wind. We did manage to catch several nice Bluegill in the 9 inch range, a couple of Redear in the 10 inch range and several Hybrid (Bluegill/Redear Mix) in 9 to 10 inch range. Rounding out the catch were a couple of Rios in the 9 inch range. We would have done a lot better if not for the windy conditions. Fish were caught on Gulp Alive Minnows ( Black Shad) , Red/White Rooster Tails, and Yellow/Black Little George spinner baits. Fish were caught in 5 to 8 feet of water and I think they were spawning. A lot of fish were urinating after the catch. A slow to medium retrieve was used. All fish were released. We had plans to fish till 6p but cut the trip short due to the windy conditions. Was glad to just get out on the water and catch a few nice fish. Good times for sure.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/23/20 02:36 PM

Good report. Always enjoy reading those Austin area post. Good job guys.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/23/20 02:47 PM

Thanks Curtis ...I do believe you & Jeff can catch fish under any conditions !
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/23/20 04:36 PM

Nice post Curtis. Good job guys. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/24/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey

We try! It is days like that one that I wished I was on a boat with spot lock! hammer
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/24/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One
Originally Posted by Vogey

We try! It is days like that one that I wished I was on a boat with spot lock! hammer

You do not need to fight the wind bank fishing! roflmao
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/24/20 04:58 PM

Yep, there are times when the wind can be your friend while fishing from the bank. clap
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: Lady Bird Lake! 5-22. - 05/26/20 05:39 PM

Must have just missed you, I fished LBL on the 22nd from 6 to 11. I put in at Austin HS and headed downstream. I fished the first hour and a half in Barton Creek to get out of the wind. Eventually hit the main lake and fished down to Congress Street then let the wind blow me back to the ramp lol. Would have fished longer but the wind got to be enough make it painful to keep casting 4 lb test. Caught 68 fish total- three decent bluegill (8-9 range), 62 small bluegill/red ear/long ear, and 3 LMB. Up in the creek I hooked (note I say hooked, rather than caught) a pretty decent (guessing 4lbs) LMB, got her to the side of the kayak and she broke off at the knot while I was trying to lip her. Caught everything on 1" Gulp Minnows in Emerald Shiner (on a 1/64th Oz jig head) and a Strike King Bitsy Minnow.

I'll run into you guys one of these days!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum