Texas Fishing Forum

Thumpin' On Athens

Posted By: Flags

Thumpin' On Athens - 05/09/20 06:27 PM

So I find myself back in Athens for the Mother's Day weekend. Me and Mrs Chief don't have any kids other than the cats but I still like to do nice things for her on Mother's Day. But Mother's Day isn't until tomorrow so I loaded the tube and and hit my beloved Athens. Fishing started off a little slow because it was a cool morning but as soon as the water warmed up a little so did the gills. As usual I was using a piece of crawler on an small unpainted jig hook. This was the first fish of the day, a nice plump fish of about 8 inches:

[Linked Image]

In the first place I hit I got 4 or 5 fish total with the first fish being the biggest. The rest were in the 5-6 inch range. So I decided to hit another spot that has always been really good to me. On the first cast I stuck a decent bass under a boat house. I managed to get him out from under the boat house and prepared to do battle. I was using a 5 1/2 foot rod with 4lb line and a 1/64th oz jighead so the odds were in the fish's favor. I had him on about 8 or 9 minutes and lost him on the 3rd jump. I'm guessing he was between 5 and 6 lbs. But it was fun. The second spot also held a really good pod of fish:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last fish in those 3 pics was the big bluegill of the day. He went just a whisker over 10 1/2 inches and was really fat. After fishing out the second place I moved one more time and found a place that didn't have a single gill to be caught but it did have a bunch of shellcrackers. Got about 15 or so of them and they were all about like this fish:
[Linked Image]

All told, Athens did me good again. I got around 30 or so sunfish including some really good ones and got to mess around with a decent bass. All fish were released to fight another day.

Cheers Y'all.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/09/20 09:19 PM

Those are some real beauties...isn't it great to be back on your home lake !
Posted By: jagg

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/09/20 10:11 PM

Those are the ones!!
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 12:51 AM

Looks like they are bedding from the dark bellies. Should be soon for Fork.
Posted By: Ricky87

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 02:29 AM

Looks like some fun was had today
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 04:16 AM

WTG Flags ! What a Beautiful variety of colors on those fish! You gotta love it! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Those are some real beauties...isn't it great to be back on your home lake !

Plus #1.

Side Note: Great post and some nice slabs. Good job Flags! woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 02:51 PM

Love those Athens Slabs. Nice post and fish and as always thanks for sharing.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Thumpin' On Athens - 05/10/20 03:38 PM

Solid post and solid fish. Good job Flags. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum