Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest)

Posted By: Vogey

Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/08/20 03:58 PM

It's the end of the world as I know it !...Fayette officially closed both ramps today. The good news is that I got to fish it one last time yesterday, and what an awesome day it was. Met up with Fred (Rionator) & Rhonda for a action packed day. Weather was perfect with light winds & overcast skies. The crowd was way less than expected after last week. Water temp was mid 70s and almost at full level. Ended the day with over 100 sunnies, 20-25 bass & 1 tilapia. The majority of the sunfish were BIG. All caught on Gulp Alive Minnows except for 5 that were caught on a Yazuri rattlin vibe I was experimenting around with. All fish released. Started out in my "super secret spot" , but invited Fred over when he got there. Have also fished there with Doc, so it's really a semi super secret spot. The other area we fished was the rip rap of the dam. Caught lots of fish in both areas.The sunfish are staging right now for the spawn which should start in the next 3 weeks. Right now, if you find one, you can probably find 100. Caught nothing in the reed beds, tank dams & creek areas that are indicative of summer patterns. Doc wanted to go yesterday, but had some home repairs to attend to. Bad decision ! What now ? ...I plan on getting a disguise & following Banker in the darkness to locate some of his super secret spots. smile [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/08/20 04:33 PM

Glad you had a great trip. You can look at the pics for the near future and dream of what could be.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/08/20 05:33 PM

Great post as always. The Master of Fayette will strike again hopefully much sooner than later. I had heard that Fayette will be shutting down and will not reopen until further notice. I know that Chuck and his posy have been fishing a lot. I do not know the results of their trips. Again great post and hang in there.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/08/20 09:38 PM

Bad decision is right ! I should have risked divorce and frying pan for those perch !!!

grin

Glad you guys got into them tho. At least I can enjoy them vicariously !
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/08/20 10:07 PM

Wow, those are some really nice bluegill. It will be interesting to see how long these places stay closed.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/09/20 10:14 AM

As always great post Steve. Fayette has to be one of the BEST Bluegill fisheries in Texas. Hopefully Fayette will reopen soon! thumb

Side Note: If some of my spots where I fish close, we are in a lot of trouble! nuts
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/09/20 12:59 PM

Nice post Vogey! Good to know that the Gulp Minnows are getting it done. Hopefully a Fayette reopening is not far off! woot

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/09/20 03:49 PM

Another GREAT Fayette post. Super fishing Vogey.

Side Note: What did you catch the Tilapia on?
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/09/20 08:06 PM

Gitter...The Tilapia actually hit a Gulp live...real hard...I usually "snag" them...

Thanks Curtis,Chuck,Bill & Osborne from the kind words.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/10/20 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Gitter...The Tilapia actually hit a Gulp live...real hard...I usually "snag" them...

I have caught plenty of Tilapia but never on a artificial bait. Nicely done Steve!

Got to love those Gulp Alive products. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/10/20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

I have caught plenty of Tilapia but never on a artificial bait. Nicely done Steve!

Got to love those Gulp Alive products. thumb

I caught a Freshwater Drum on a crank bait while fishing Lake Austin a few years ago! hooked
Posted By: GulfCoastDon2020

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/10/20 05:29 PM

Sweet. Way to get in those last day catches.

Re: Fayette 4-7-2020 (slabfest) - 04/10/20 08:49 PM

Thanks Vogey!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum