Texas Fishing Forum

Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics?

Posted By: Laker One

Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/01/20 01:17 AM

Which do you prefer while fishing for either sunfish -Bluegill,Redear,etc. or Large Mouth Bass. Spinner Baits or Soft Plastics? noidea
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/01/20 02:48 AM

LMB - Soft plastics...either 7-8" worms Texas rig on bait cast, or 1" to 2" soft swimbait on spinning . Sunfish - Gulp Alive 1" minnows or BOC. Recently picked up a few very small Yozuri rattlin Vibe crank baits to try out. I think they are 1" & kind of like rattle traps. Hope to be back on the water next week...
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/01/20 04:31 PM

Soft Plastics all the way.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/03/20 10:17 PM

I was a huge soft plastic guy, but this last year has been the year of the spinnerbait for me! I’ve caught more fish one spinners in the past 6 months than I have in the past 20 years. Mainly just one specific spinner, but a few others as well. I still use soft plastics almost half the time, but spinners have definitely surged ahead to number 2!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 02:23 AM

Soft plastics such as worms,sliders, and tube jigs. Use them about 10 percent of the time while fishing for Bluegill. The worms are the Gulp Alive Night Crawlers. thumb
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 02:30 PM

For Panfish, neither. I had a great season last year with very small crankbaits (Matzuo Nano Crank and Strike King Bitsy Minnow). For LMB since I was a kid I'd say a solid 75% of the bass I've caught, including my PB, were with weightless, Texas Rigged 5" worms.

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagg
I was a huge soft plastic guy, but this last year has been the year of the spinnerbait for me! I’ve caught more fish one spinners in the past 6 months than I have in the past 20 years. Mainly just one specific spinner, but a few others as well. I still use soft plastics almost half the time, but spinners have definitely surged ahead to number 2!

You are reading my mind Jagg! woot
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 07:24 PM

Search my posts - mostly soft plastic lures but also some trolled crankbaits and Beetle Spin grubs.
Here's a sample:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Ball head jigs 1/32-1/8 oz plus soft plastics are king where I fish ! Rarely do I cast spinnerbaits though I know I can catch bass on them. It's just that the variety of soft plastic designs that catch any fish that swims is INSANE !!

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 07:36 PM

A few more:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/04/20 07:38 PM

Hitting the sides of docks, which in this picture were in + 10 fow with jigs, and letting them sink, caught many sunfish two days in a row.
(Besides, the dogs go nuts when I catch fish!)
[Linked Image]

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/06/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Hitting the sides of docks, which in this picture were in + 10 fow with jigs, and letting them sink, caught many sunfish two days in a row.
(Besides, the dogs go nuts when I catch fish!)
[Linked Image]

I follow your post often and love seeing the baits you are using! Love catching sunnies on artificial baits! hooked
Posted By: jettyrat

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/06/20 02:47 PM

inline spinners specifically Joes' Flies [url=http://joesflies.com/][/url]

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/07/20 11:20 AM

Thanks Laker. Wasn't sure anyone was reading them.

But getting back to the original question,
Which do you prefer while fishing for either sunfish -Bluegill,Redear,etc. or Large Mouth Bass. Spinner Baits or Soft Plastics?

If either or, it would would be soft plastics, but not most plastic worm designs. Spinnerbaits have a time and place but aren't as versatile as soft plastics on jig heads. I even prefer skirted jigs ranging in weight from 3/8 - 3/4 oz. with different trailers than spinnerbaits for bass; Beetle Spins for panfish.

As I've said and shown with photos, soft plastics on light jig heads will catch any fish in a lake or river but should be matched to the right action/length rod and size reel - as for any lures used in a specific size/weight range. I just find it fun being able to use a huge range of soft plastics on light jigs - even a 7" Kut Tail Worm and not having to worry about whether the lure is too flashy (spinnerbait) or too heavy thereby limiting when and where I can fish them.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/08/20 02:40 AM

I just cant get used to fishing a plain jig. I have to feel a spinner moving.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Spinner Baits VS. Soft Plastics? - 02/10/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Thanks Laker. Wasn't sure anyone was reading them.

But getting back to the original question,
Which do you prefer while fishing for either sunfish -Bluegill,Redear,etc. or Large Mouth Bass. Spinner Baits or Soft Plastics?

If either or, it would would be soft plastics, but not most plastic worm designs. Spinnerbaits have a time and place but aren't as versatile as soft plastics on jig heads. I even prefer skirted jigs ranging in weight from 3/8 - 3/4 oz. with different trailers than spinnerbaits for bass; Beetle Spins for panfish.

As I've said and shown with photos, soft plastics on light jig heads will catch any fish in a lake or river but should be matched to the right action/length rod and size reel - as for any lures used in a specific size/weight range. I just find it fun being able to use a huge range of soft plastics on light jigs - even a 7" Kut Tail Worm and not having to worry about whether the lure is too flashy (spinnerbait) or too heavy thereby limiting when and where I can fish them.

I can relate to this. Plus #1.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum