Texas Fishing Forum

Good Times at the Trout Stockings!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/08/19 06:59 PM

Having some good times at this weeks Rainbow Trout Stockings put on by the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Myself, Rick aka Catyakker, and fishing buddy Steve fished several stockings and limited out each time. Gold Super Duper Lures,and Berkley Power Bait (Yellow) were the baits getting the best results. Ran into fellow TFF'er Trent who was catching em just about every cast. Some mighty good eating ahead. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RonL

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/08/19 07:23 PM

Congratulations ! Stocking where i live has been moved up a couple weeks cause of weather being warm i guess . What’s the limit on trout in Texas ?

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/08/19 07:38 PM

Thanks Ron L for the reply! The limit is five per day. No minimal length. thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/08/19 10:04 PM

Awesome post Chuck! Yall are some trout catchin dudes cheers

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/09/19 12:06 AM

Thanks Leo. I bet your jigs would work on em. Will be giving them a try. thumb
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/09/19 12:15 AM

My goodness, those trout sure make up for there size, with power, especially on ultra light tackle. OMG
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/09/19 02:57 AM

Heat up the fry pan.
Posted By: trent72

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/09/19 04:32 PM

Hey Chuck, Yes it was good seeing you and Rick again and hopefully see ya'll soon at some more stockings.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/10/19 04:23 AM

Good stuff. I haven't taken advantage of the stockings since I was in college at SWT. My roomies and I would go over below the Canyon Lake dam and catch them on Velveeta cheese.

>E
Posted By: jagg

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/10/19 09:30 AM

Triple Limit! fish
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/13/19 03:13 PM

Wow, those are some big stockers. Any record fish?

That's a motley looking crew your dragging around with you. Do they scare off the locals when y'all arrive? roflmao
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 04:12 AM

OK. To all my other Super Duper Lure believers: I fished a very stained little lake yesterday that had just been stocked. Water visibility was only about one foot. When I got there, I thought about going shopping for some Power Bait. However, the #502 gold worked just fine!! It was not an epic day but it was decent considering the water condition.

By the way, the little lake is in Copperas Cove City Park. Access is very user friendly and easy to fish. Anyway, I had a great time! I wonder if a silver SDL would have worked or been better in the stained water? What say you Banker Always Fishing?

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 04:43 AM

Thanks Osbornfishing, Trent, Kelly, Tory, Jamie, and ifishlbj for the replies, cheers Jamie: Yes We did! bolt Ifishlbj: I have had good results fishing the Silver Super Duper especially in stained water and small ponds. Over all the Gold SD works the best. hooked

Side Note: White Rooster Tails, and Gold Panther Martin Lours also get some good results. thumb

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 01:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Appropriate here? It is for me and some of my fishing friends!!
Posted By: psalty

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 01:27 PM

Threescore and ten- Just coming in in the group. Thanks brother and Merry Christmas !! fish
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 03:25 PM

Great post Chuck! Yall look like a bunch of bada$$e$ in that pic I love it!! cheers
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/14/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ifishlbj
[Linked Image]
Appropriate here? It is for me and some of my fishing friends!!

Now that is what I need to get me. Been kind of hard keeping up with Banker and Steve here lately, but I still try my best (as long as I have my bucket to sit on). roflmao
Posted By: pop r

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/15/19 11:03 PM

Awesome post Chuck! food cheers

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/19/19 01:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Made my third stop on the rainbow trout stocking circuit today. These fish were caught at the Carl Levin City Park Pond in Harker Heights, Texas. I caught a quick limit and then decided to experiment with different lures and colors. Did not catch another fish.

My two previous stops on the circuit were Blanco State Park and Copperas Cove City Park Lake. Have caught fish at all three locations and had a great time!!

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/24/19 05:10 AM

Thanks ifishlbs, psalty, Yesenia, and popr, for the replies. cheers Ifishlbj: Thanks for the report. Like you I like to try different lures and baits at the various stockings. By far the Gold Super Duper has gotten the best results. hooked
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/24/19 11:53 AM

Are you guys running into any crowds when trout fishing?

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/29/19 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006

Thanks Bill2006 for the reply. There have been good turnouts for the Guadalupe River Stockings. (Plenty of People). I usually fish the day after the stockings unless the stockings take place during the middle of the week which means less people showing up. thumb
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 12/29/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Originally Posted by BillS2006

Thanks Bill2006 for the reply. There have been good turnouts for the Guadalupe River Stockings. (Plenty of People). I usually fish the day after the stockings unless the stockings take place during the middle of the week which means less people showing up. thumb

Thanks, the next day is what I'm thinking for my introduction to the trout fishing.

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/03/20 08:22 PM

Bills2006: Hope you do well but mainly get out there and have a good time. cheers Let us know you do.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/11/20 02:30 PM

Great post and some nice fish. So far a super good stocking season! Good job guys. woot

Side Note: Has the bite seemed a little odd this year or is it just me? Seems that the fish are hard to find days after the stocking. Years past you could go to certain spots days after the stockings and still limit out easily. hide2

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/19/20 10:27 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers The bite has been different in years past. They are truly a lot less aggressive this year than past years. It also has been a lot warmer this winter than the previous winters, The warmer weather played a huge factor in this years trout bite. Just my two cents. 2cents

Side Note: Still having a GREAT stocking season! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/25/20 02:34 PM

Thanks Chuck! The fish have truly been more aggressive at some stockings than others. It has been a great stocking season! woot
Posted By: firetiger

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/28/20 08:33 PM

I've never been trout fishing, but I'm thinking about heading to one of these stocked ponds.. I'll bring some Powerbait, but what size Super Duper do you guys use?
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/29/20 05:13 PM

Been hitting a few stocked ponds in NTX and have been struggling tried super dupers and powerbait. Any help would be appreciated. The ponds I’ve hit this week we’re all stocked this weekend as well.

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/29/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by firetiger
I've never been trout fishing, but I'm thinking about heading to one of these stocked ponds.. I'll bring some Powerbait, but what size Super Duper do you guys use?

I use two sizes both gold in color. I use a 1 1/8 and a 1 1/4. As for bait fishing I use the Berkley Power Bait-Cheese Colored! hooked
Posted By: trent72

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 01/29/20 08:28 PM

Gold and Silver

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 02/06/20 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by trent72
Gold and Silver

Yes Sir My Lour of Choice for Rainbow Trout! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 02/09/20 04:37 PM

How time flies! Seems like yesterday the trout stocking schedule was being posted. Now the season down here is fast coming to an end. Great post! What was your best stocking that you attended?

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 02/15/20 11:09 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers I went to a lot of stocking locations and all of them were good. Some better than others. The BEST was Castell TX. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 02/23/20 03:28 PM

Thanks Chuck! Another stocking season is fast coming to an end. How time flies.

Re: Good Times at the Trout Stockings! - 03/01/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Thanks Chuck! Another stocking season is fast coming to an end. How time flies.

Might just give it a try during the summer months in some of those "year around spots" on the Guadalupe? If not next stocking season for sure. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum