Texas Fishing Forum

Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River.

Posted By: Laker One

Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/23/19 02:46 PM

Got to fish only one of my three days off this week. Myself and buddy Jeff fished a South Central Texas River this past Thursday. We launched Kayaks at 10am and fished till 4pm. The bite was GOOD! We fished by GPS marked brush piles and caught a bunch of nice Crappie,Redear, and Bluegill. Fish were caught in 16 to 20 feet of water using Crappie Magnet Jigs Chartreuse/Red in color. Saw only three boats the whole time. Most fish were released but a few were kept for the dinner table. woot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/23/19 03:46 PM

Nice fish. You guys got em dialed in.

Side Note: How often do you change your GPS locations? What is the determining factor in changing them?
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/23/19 06:08 PM

WTG! cheers
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/23/19 09:12 PM

Nice mess of fish ! That will make some tasty filets ! food
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 12:41 AM

Good job guys thumb
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 12:49 AM

Great report Curtis, now that's a "bucket o' fish"...Are the GPS locations ones you marked from past trips, or ones you found elsewhere ? (Maps, internet, etc)
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 02:34 AM

Sounds like a good trip and a nice mess of fish there.

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Great report Curtis, now that's a "bucket o' fish"...Are the GPS locations ones you marked from past trips, or ones you found elsewhere ? (Maps, internet, etc)

Vogey: All of the brush piles we fish were located by ourselves. We spend a lot of time throughout the years charting brush piles that are holding fish. The information we compile can tell us
the brush piles that are holding fish during each times of the year. Floods and dam breaks will set you back because they usually destroy brush piles. You basically have to start over. The
Lake Wood Dam break set us back a lot along with the heavy rains caused by Hurricane Harvey. It usually takes a year to locate new brush piles that hold fish for a long period of time. We
have also charted other structures such as bridges,docks,and drop offs. Collecting data as you fish is a key factor in finding fish year around. woot
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 06:27 PM

Good info...I learn something from you year round...thanks...
Posted By: jagg

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/24/19 07:47 PM

Sweet Haul, Laker! thumb

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/25/19 12:48 PM

I have learned a lot from all the anglers who post in this section. I also fish with two friends of mine who really love to work to find and mark fish on the GPS!
Finding fish,marking them on GPS,and keeping a good log on the results of your trips PAYS OFF! woot

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/25/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One

I have learned a lot from all the anglers who post in this section. I also fish with two friends of mine who really love to work to find and mark fish on the GPS!
Finding fish,marking them on GPS,and keeping a good log on the results of your trips PAYS OFF! woot

Some very good advice Laker!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/26/19 04:40 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job guys! cheers

Side Note: Did Steve ever get his side scan? hmmm

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/26/19 02:14 PM

Thanks Chuck. Steve plans on getting a side scan sometime in January. woot

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/27/19 04:31 AM

I am sure you guys will put it to very good use. hooked

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/27/19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

I am sure you guys will put it to very good use. hooked

Yes Sir we will! woot

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/27/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Side Note: How often do you change your GPS locations? What is the determining factor in changing them?

Gitter: We do not change GPS locations often during the year. Certain locations hold fish different times of the year. Some locations
You can't buy a bite if you wanted to during the spring/summer. However during the fall/winter that spot stays on fire. The data we collect during all of our
trips helps in this. We can go to locations all year long with a good chance of catching fish. If a pattern changes and the spot is not producing anymore
during it's productive time we remove the location on the GPS. Also if a location is destroyed we remove the GPS location as well. woot

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/28/19 02:49 PM

Gitter: We do not change GPS locations often during the year. Certain locations hold fish different times of the year. Some locations
You can't buy a bite if you wanted to during the spring/summer. However during the fall/winter that spot stays on fire. The data we collect during all of our
trips helps in this. We can go to locations all year long with a good chance of catching fish. If a pattern changes and the spot is not producing anymore
during it's productive time we remove the location on the GPS. Also if a location is destroyed we remove the GPS location as well. woot

Your work has been paying off! Thanks Laker!

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/28/19 03:08 PM

Your work has been paying off! Thanks Laker!

Curtis and his buddies have put the time in on the water for sure. It has paid off for them in a lot of ways. Especially being able to catch some nice fish year around! cheers
Posted By: katjim

Re: Had a Good Day! Kayak Fishing A River. - 11/29/19 02:27 AM

Nice mess of fish. Thanks for sharing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum