Texas Fishing Forum

Bait fishing, hook swollowing

Posted By: dallee

Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 12:31 AM

Gentlemen,

I have recently picked up doing more panfishing with live bait, mainly works.

Don't know if its something I am doing or what but I would say 9 out of 10 are swollowing the hook. The lake I live on is catch and release only so keeping those fish are not an option.

How can I go about reducing the number of swollowed hooks?

Thanks for any help!
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 01:41 AM

I adjust the hook size to use the smallest hook for which most of the fish do not swallow it.
Also, setting the hook a little earlier may help. Keep close watch on line to see the slightest twitch.
adjusting these 2 strategies I can usually minimize the panfish swalloiwng the hook and still catch several.
If they do swallo an aberdeen hook, cut the line.
The hope is the hook will corrode and not kill the fish.

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 02:40 AM

Thanks! Do you have a size hook that you find works best for you?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I adjust the hook size to use the smallest hook for which most of the fish do not swallow it.
Also, setting the hook a little earlier may help. Keep close watch on line to see the slightest twitch.
adjusting these 2 strategies I can usually minimize the panfish swalloiwng the hook and still catch several.
If they do swallo an aberdeen hook, cut the line.
The hope is the hook will corrode and not kill the fish.

Plus #1 on the above. Great advice.

Side note: I would add that when I use a size 6 cricket hook (they have a long shaft) I get very few fish that swallow the hook. Also, as stated above a early hook set prevents a lot of hook swallowing. thumb
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 03:29 AM

Depends on what size fish are biting usually I use a hook of size of 8, 6 or 4. I usually start with a size 6 it getting bites but not hooking anything, go to an 8. If fish swallowing hook go to a 4.
This is for perch about the length of my palm to a bit larger than my hand.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 02:11 PM

I do not use live bait while fishing for Bluegill/Sunfish. I fish with a friend who has a pond and he uses barbless cricket hooks. The size of the hook is a 8. He also has a very fast hook set! Rarely has one that swallows a hook. I think that the longer shaft on the cricket hooks play a huge factor for a fish not swallowing a hook. Just my observation. eeks
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 02:32 PM

Quick hook set! Sometimes no matter what you do every now and then you will get a few that swallow a hook.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 02:56 PM

A quick hookset is key. When i used to use the BOC for bait i would use a number 10 cricket hook and have a few swallow the hook every trip. Now that i only use the tiny jig with a number12 jig hook i have caught hundreds of fish without a single swallow and Its a smaller hook go figure hmmm

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 06:03 PM

Thank you all very much. Some technique and hook suggestions for me to take into consideration. I will employ this. Thanks for everyone's help.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One
I do not use live bait while fishing for Bluegill/Sunfish. I fish with a friend who has a pond and he uses barbless cricket hooks. The size of the hook is a 8. He also has a very fast hook set! Rarely has one that swallows a hook. I think that the longer shaft on the cricket hooks play a huge factor for a fish not swallowing a hook. Just my observation. eeks

I have also had good luck with the longer shank on the cricket hooks .
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 09:11 PM

Get you one of these hook removers.

http://www.unhookum.com/
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/05/19 10:22 PM

Myself and others have had good luck stopping deep hooking on perch by using 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigs hooks instead of plain hooks.
The added weight slows down the inhalation of the bait and it doesn't go as deep. Size 4 or 6 jig hooks. I get them off of Ebay.

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/06/19 03:41 PM

Thanks, ordering one.

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/06/19 03:41 PM

I will try the jighead as well. I have those already.

Got some other hooks ordered as well.

Thanks again very much everyone.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/06/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dallee

That is why I love following the Bluegill Section of the TFF!

Side Note: I also love seeing the BIG FISH these anglers are catching!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/06/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Originally Posted by dallee

That is why I love following the Bluegill Section of the TFF!

Side Note: I also love seeing the BIG FISH these anglers are catching!

+1 all the people in this section are always willing to help! Great people and even greater fisherman fish
Posted By: Rionator

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/06/19 08:45 PM

I use drop shot and #8 hooks short shank and I would say that 99/100 are hooked on the mouth. the idea is to keep a tight line and set the hook as soon as you feel the tap.With live bait they will swallow the whole thing if you give them time . on jigs the same thing try to keep contact with your bait all the time and set the hook as soon as you feel the tap. Hope this helps

Fred
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/07/19 03:56 AM

Thanks a bunch Fred. I always thought them little tap, taps, were dinks stealing my bait. I am going to have to pay more attention and pull that trigger on the first tap and see what happens. Sure appreciate your experience and insight. hmmm
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/07/19 12:51 PM

I free line more often than not in the shallow creeks I've been fishing. I either watch the hit and set or watch for the slightest movement of the line and come tight. The point is do not wait, these ain't crappie and or walleye that mess with a bait the go in for it in a rush.
Posted By: Rionator

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/07/19 03:31 PM

Haha ctayaker sometimes. They are dinks but I would still set the hook on the tap tap
Posted By: jaymzinsa

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/07/19 04:24 PM

What docX said, try the jigheads. When tipped with half a redworm or whole mealworm they are deadly on big sunnies and you get almost 100% mouth/lip hooksets. They also allow for lots of different presentations; you can bounce it around, drag it slowly, steady retrieve, or even set it under a small bobber. Its also a great way to introduce kids into actively fishing rather than soaking some bait and waiting around. Keeps em from getting bored and they get super excited when they get a hit and set the hook with a "lure", at least for my guys.
gratuitous kid pic
[Linked Image]

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/07/19 09:57 PM

That pics makes the day!

Again everyone, thank a bunch for all the info/ideas.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/08/19 10:46 PM

Don't know if this helps or not, but I recorded this respose via video this afternoon:

Re: Bait fishing, hook swollowing - 11/09/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by WillieRip
Don't know if this helps or not, but I recorded this respose via video this afternoon:

Thank you for that!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum