Texas Fishing Forum

Had a Good Day!!

Posted By: jagg

Had a Good Day!! - 10/10/19 08:12 AM

Gonna try and get on the water today or Friday. This was a great trip last week and we still had some missteps! Can’t wait to really nail down the pattern and presentation! Have a Sunny Day, Y’all!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/10/19 09:12 AM

Living the good life. Enjoyed both videos. Good looking water and some super fish. Nicely done! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/10/19 02:19 PM

Love your videos. Your commentary is FANTASTIC! Good job Jagg! woot

Side Note: What is your go to bait for the Rios? noidea
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/10/19 03:04 PM

Love that creek...lots of BIG fish and better yet it flows right across the street. laugh Great videos Jagg, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to grab my fly pole and hip boots and head on out. fish
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/10/19 03:27 PM

Enjoyed the videos and thanks for sharing! Nicely done.

Side Note: Love your rig. What type of lures are you usually using?

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/11/19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laker One

I appreciate it the kind words, LO! thumb
Rios can be a bit of a pickle. I find that they can be really picky sometimes. Often this year, I had to have a spinnerbait on to get their attention or at least something with some type of blades on or some serious flash. Other times, they would trail behind a spinnerbait and nip at it half hearted, but not commit. At those times, extremely subtly action baits were the trick and I often had to dead stick them. Stuff like 2.5” pin tail minnows and 3” worms. Sometimes they would bite after a few seconds of dead sticking; other times it would have to soak in front of them for what seemed like 2 minutes. I did catch a few on swimming plastics also, but this year it was mostly flash and speed or slow and subtle. I don’t often go out specifically targeting Rios, but I found that I did a lot this year. Mainly trying to get some of my fishing friends their first Rio catch. It really makes you think and go back into the journals and archives to give them the best chance to get that first Rio or other specific specie.

Side Note: I tried putting some willow leaf blades on the backs of some of my jigs and got fair results when the plastic bite died. Just cut off the action tail and slid on a Mr Crappie Slab Tickler. It’s not a perfect rig, but does well when I don’t want to retie.

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/11/19 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Thanks a ton, GD! cheers

I had been using a bunch of in-line spinners, micro floating/diving cranks and micro wake baits, but lately soft plastic has been king. It seems the longer we go without rain, the more the fish I’m around want a more subtle presentation. Fall is supposed to turn the feed bag on for them, especially post fronts. Let’s see if the weather and the fish cooperate.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/11/19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by jagg
Originally Posted by Laker One

I appreciate it the kind words, LO! thumb
Rios can be a bit of a pickle. I find that they can be really picky sometimes. Often this year, I had to have a spinnerbait on to get their attention or at least something with some type of blades on or some serious flash. Other times, they would trail behind a spinnerbait and nip at it half hearted, but not commit. At those times, extremely subtly action baits were the trick and I often had to dead stick them. Stuff like 2.5” pin tail minnows and 3” worms. Sometimes they would bite after a few seconds of dead sticking; other times it would have to soak in front of them for what seemed like 2 minutes. I did catch a few on swimming plastics also, but this year it was mostly flash and speed or slow and subtle. I don’t often go out specifically targeting Rios, but I found that I did a lot this year. Mainly trying to get some of my fishing friends their first Rio catch. It really makes you think and go back into the journals and archives to give them the best chance to get that first Rio or other specific specie.

Side Note: I tried putting some willow leaf blades on the backs of some of my jigs and got fair results when the plastic bite died. Just cut off the action tail and slid on a Mr Crappie Slab Tickler. It’s not a perfect rig, but does well when I don’t want to retie.

Thanks Jagg. Interesting how you modify your lures. Might give that a try. You are right about the Rios being picky. I get great results using Green or White Curly Tail Grubs. hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Had a Good Day!! - 10/13/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagg
Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Thanks a ton, GD! cheers

I had been using a bunch of in-line spinners, micro floating/diving cranks and micro wake baits, but lately soft plastic has been king. It seems the longer we go without rain, the more the fish I’m around want a more subtle presentation. Fall is supposed to turn the feed bag on for them, especially post fronts. Let’s see if the weather and the fish cooperate.

Thanks Jagg! Keep your videos coming.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum