Texas Fishing Forum

Rios are Running

Posted By: Catyakker

Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:13 AM

Banker and I have been fishing the Creeks and hill country lakes pretty hard these past few days and just as Chuck predicted the Big Rio Grande Cichlids are running pretty good. Here is one I caught on a Ultra Light fly rod this morning. Ten inches which weighed 1.12 lbs. Thought I snagged a Turtle at first, then all heck broke loose.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:26 AM

Yes Sir Rick "The BIG RIOS are on the MOVE" ! They are also ready to play! hooked

Side Note: Rick forgot to mention he broke his previous fly rod weight record on the creek we were fishing at. His old record was .97 Lbs. The new Rio Fly Rod Record is now 1.12 Lbs. Just four tenths of a pound away from beating the Wild Man of the Navadad's Rod/Reel Rio Record of 1.15 Lbs.

Huge CONGRATULATIONS Rick on your new Rio Record! bow_down That fight was totally AWESOME! boxing
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:36 AM

Cat...Super nice Rio & great pic...I see you cut some firewood after fishing smile
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:38 AM

Congrats catyakker! Awesome rio cheers
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:45 AM

Awesome fish Rick thumb Congrats on the record.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:58 AM

Nice fish. Congrats.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 03:04 AM

Congrats, Rick! That's a healthy looking fish, bet it put up a good fight.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 12:38 PM

Nice post and congratulations on your record Rio! woot

Side Note: I have been seeing more Rios in schools while fishing these past two weeks. You guys seeing the same?
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 01:15 PM

Nice fish and congratulations Catyakker on yet another record fish. Looks like you have been having a good year!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 03:01 PM

Nice rio Catyakker! cheers

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 06:42 PM

Thanks a bunch, Vogey, gar1970, J-Moe, Osbornfishing, 1960texan, Laker One, Gitter Done, and Pot licker. It's truly humbling to receive such accolades from the quality of fisherman on this forum. And a special thanks to Banker. who has gone out of his way to take this oldster out to his special spots and helping me up and down some of those banks along the creeks we fish. He even broke one of his rods fishing my bucket lid out of the water the other day. Now you seldom find a fishing pardner willing to go to the lengths he goes to, keeping this old fella safe. For that I am truly grateful. soldier

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One

Side Note: I have been seeing more Rios in schools while fishing these past two weeks. You guys seeing the same?

Almost forgot Laker, we have been seen schools of Rios as well. Caught a whole bunch this morning out of a creek not 10 yards wide. The water was crystal clear and the Rios and Red Breasts were thick. But we never caught any trophies, close, but that is the fun in fishing. fish

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Catyakker
And a special thanks to Banker. who has gone out of his way to take this oldster out to his special spots and helping me up and down some of those banks along the creeks we fish. He even broke one of his rods fishing my bucket lid out of the water the other day. Now you seldom find a fishing pardner willing to go to the lengths he goes to, keeping this old fella safe. For that I am truly grateful. soldier

And he does it with such great energy and enthusiasm it becomes contagious. All those years serving our country and keeping us safe has granted you the right to be blessed in such a way. Banker is the man.

bow_down

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 09:54 PM

PS: I don't feel near as bad as last time you broke the Rio record on that creek grin
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Rios are Running - 09/25/19 09:55 PM

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000pot licker and i are proud to have chuck as a friend! He truly is one of a kind clap

Re: Rios are Running - 09/26/19 12:46 AM

The BEST thing about fishing is the Anglers you meet and get to know! It just don't get any better! fish
Posted By: Rionator

Re: Rios are Running - 09/26/19 12:10 PM

He sir! You make friends for life!

Re: Rios are Running - 09/26/19 12:17 PM

Almost forgot Laker, we have been seen schools of Rios as well. Caught a whole bunch this morning out of a creek not 10 yards wide. The water was crystal clear and the Rios and Red Breasts were thick. But we never caught any trophies, close, but that is the fun in fishing. fish

Thanks! October should be even better! woot

Re: Rios are Running - 09/28/19 03:46 AM

Thanks! October should be even better! woot

Rios are in their feeding mode! They will be active now until the first big cold front arrives. After that first front they will start getting into their hibernation mode.
hide2
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Rios are Running - 09/29/19 11:34 AM

Whats considered a big cold front down here. Temps in the 70s or do we go by a overnight low of say 50 or so. I imagine the definition is somewhat different than I am used to in Colorado.

Re: Rios are Running - 09/29/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bones72
Whats considered a big cold front down here. Temps in the 70s or do we go by a overnight low of say 50 or so. I imagine the definition is somewhat different than I am used to in Colorado.

Based on my personal experience catching Rios it seems that the cold fronts that bring the temperatures down in the 40's slow down the bite. Consistent days with highs in the 40's and lows at freezing or in the 20's will put a total end to the bite. A Rio die off will occur with long consistent run of days with temperatures running with lows in the 30's and highs in 40's. Over the last two years we have had very mild winters in South Central Texas. According to Chuck BAF if there are a lot of warm spells during the winter and the winter is a mild one the Rio population will be a good one. If the winter is a cold one the Rio population will be less. hmmm

Re: Rios are Running - 09/29/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bones72

Based on my personal experience catching Rios it seems that the cold fronts that bring the temperatures down in the 40's slow down the bite. Consistent days with highs in the 40's and lows at freezing or in the 20's will put a total end to the bite. A Rio die off will occur with long consistent run of days with temperatures running with lows in the 30's and highs in 40's. Over the last two years we have had very mild winters in South Central Texas. According to Chuck BAF if there are a lot of warm spells during the winter and the winter is a mild one the Rio population will be a good one. If the winter is a cold one the Rio population will be less. hmmm

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Rios are Running - 09/30/19 11:43 AM

Ok so the front forecasted for next week bringing highs into the high 70s to mid 80s and lows into the mid 50 to mid 60s wont shut 'em down.

Re: Rios are Running - 09/30/19 11:54 AM

I would not think this upcoming front will shut em down. Chuck BAF will have a better knowledge of that. I have caught Rios in 50 degree weather in the past. I would say a front that brings temperatures down in the forties will slow em down and a couple more fronts behind that one that will keep the temperatures down in the forties/fifties will shut the Rio bite down a lot. Just my two cents. 2cents

Re: Rios are Running - 09/30/19 07:11 PM

The first cold front that drops temperatures in the 40's will usually slow down the bite a lot. The Rios will start going into their winter hiding mode and almost remain non active. You may still find some but after the second strong cold front they will be few and far between! hide2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum