Texas Fishing Forum

Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses?

Posted By: Laker One

Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 12:30 AM

My last fishing trip I lost a pair of sunglasses. Actually left them behind on a park table and when I went back for them they were gone. bang I got to thinking that this was my third pair I had lost this year. hammer The glasses cost $50.00 a piece. eeks The other day while at Acadamey I tried on some Polaroids that looked pretty good. The rims were metal and they fit good. The cost was $29.79 much cheaper than the ones I have lost. hmmm I know there are sunglasses that cost way more than $50.00. My question is how much do you spend on your sunglasses? noidea

Side Note: Do you also buy cheaper sunglasses for fishing? coolio
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 01:12 AM

My wife has bought me 2 pairs of Costas. $100 each but they weren't scratch resistant. So both were scratched in a few months. I have knocked 2 pairs of glasses off my head and into the water while fly fishing. In addition to all those I've broken or lost. I just find the cheapest polarized fishing glasses I can. Usually about $15. Probably get what I pay for when it comes to seeing into the water but I didn't really recognize a difference between the $15 and $100 glasses. Then again I'm half blind grin
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 01:31 AM

I buy safety sun glasses with built in side shields off e-bay for $13.00.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 03:38 AM

I loose about two pair of sunglasses a year. I got wise and for the last few years I have been buying the Yum Sunglasses from Walmart. They are $4.79 a pair. You can sometimes find them in the clearense isle for $2.79. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
I buy safety sun glasses with built in side shields off e-bay for $13.00.

Just might look into them! hmmm
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 12:00 PM

Have to wear fancy prescription ones unfortunately. The VA sees fit to give me a pair whenever they decide its time. Have a little TBI so these have some kind of weird prism in them but I must say that they are awesome fishing glasses. Good and polarized, cover the sides, and aren't too terribly dark. Wish I could do the cheapies. Before the VA stepped up used to use Cocoons to fit over my regular prescription glasses at about $40.00 they were pretty reasonable.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 12:51 PM

I usually spend from $15 to $20, for all the reasons listed above. I'm just too clumsy and forgetful to spend more than that. hammer
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/24/19 01:26 PM

Mine are prescription, so I take a lot of care not to lose them...
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/25/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1960texan
I usually spend from $15 to $20, for all the reasons listed above. I'm just too clumsy and forgetful to spend more than that. hammer

Yep, you know what 1960texan, I found a pair of those good glasses and a towel in the back of my Tundra, that I have been saving until I see you next. crazy
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/25/19 02:07 AM

I did not wear sunglasses for years because it could not find any to fit my fat head. I won a pair of Costa Permits and they are the only ones I have been able to use long term. They cost $249 for the 580glass. I am not going to pay that so I got some on EBay for $65. They are great sunglasses.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/25/19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Catyakker
Originally Posted by 1960texan

Yep, you know what 1960texan, I found a pair of those good glasses and a towel in the back of my Tundra, that I have been saving until I see you next. crazy

Thanks Rick! I might be seeing you and Chuck pretty soon.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/26/19 02:20 PM

i need to wear galases so checked on getting prescription sun glasses. Way to much for my budget. Then a friend I know goes to Florida every winter and shops at flea markets. Found some polaroid sun glasses that easily fit over my actual glasses. I think last trip they were $9 each, so I get 2 pair a year as i lose them more than I should.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/26/19 09:30 PM

I have had a pair of Costa's for over five years. Usually don't loose sunglasses! Cell phones are another story!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 09/28/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
I have had a pair of Costa's for over five years. Usually don't loose sunglasses! Cell phones are another story!

I got a cell phone on the bottom of Lake Dunlap aka Dunlap River Bottom ! hammer
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 10/01/19 01:50 PM

I lose sunglasses just about twice a year so I use the walmart glasses over my prescription glasses.
I once bought some Ray Bans that I thought were overpriced, but wanted to be like the cool guys, and lost them in the Nueces river fishing for white bass.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 10/01/19 02:19 PM

I were prescription glasses so over the counter shades are a no go. I get my frames off eBay and have prescription lenses installed thru a online outfit in NY. I pair of prescription shades cost me around 75$ a pair. I have only lost one pair over the last 20 years. I treat them like gold.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 10/05/19 08:01 PM

I got a couple pair of Costa 580p’s from one of those clearance overstock websites. They may not have the frames you want, but they normally have the lenses that are popular with fisherman and folks who get on the water.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 10/06/19 03:12 PM

Another option for the folks that wear prescription glass. Go to Walmart and buy a pair of clip on polarized sun glasses. They are really light weight and cost about $14.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Who buys "Cheap" Sunglasses? - 10/09/19 01:56 PM

I have switched to Solar Bats, I use a more expensive pair and some of the cheaper pairs they have. Really like the Bill dance models for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum