Texas Fishing Forum

Rio Question

Posted By: Bones72

Rio Question - 08/28/19 03:31 PM

Does anyone know where the closest creek is that I could find Rio's from the Ft. Hood area? They are kind of a buckets list fish for me and if there is some place within a few hours drive would love to get on some. Really want to get one on the fly rod. Really like wading a creek for something different.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Rio Question - 08/28/19 09:13 PM

I personally have not seen or heard of any Rios being caught past Belton. Rio's are an extrem warm water fish and cannot survive cold winters. The further north you go the less chance you will find a Rio. Not saying there are not any Rios past Belton I have just never heard of any caught. The Austin area is loaded with Rios. Lady Bird Lake,Lake Austin,Lake Travis, and other Austin area water bodies have Rios. I have caught Rios on the San Gabriel River in George Town. Rios are starting to get pretty active and if you find them you have an excellent chance of catching em. Worms are a GREAT bait to use on Rios. thumb

Side Note: Brushy Creek has a good population of Rios. cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 01:26 PM

The Austin area will be your best bet. Onion Creek has Rios. The Colorado River is loaded with them not to mention Round Rock and George Town areas. This years Rio bite has been very very GOOD! hooked Hope you get em! woot

Side Note: Bite will stay good until the first MAJOR COLD front arrives. After that they seem to go into their hibernation mode. hide2

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 01:26 PM

Think they'd hit these [Linked Image]
They are tied on hooks from #12-#4. Rios seem to have small mouths so a little curious about that. Of course I remember 'gills on the bed in the spring sucking in giant jointed Rapalas when I was a kid stalking trophy pickerel.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 03:35 PM

I do not fish for Rios or sunfish but for what I have been reading on past post about Rios I would use what the fly anglers call a sinking "Wacky Worm" .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bones72
Think they'd hit these [Linked Image]
They are tied on hooks from #12-#4. Rios seem to have small mouths so a little curious about that. Of course I remember 'gills on the bed in the spring sucking in giant jointed Rapalas when I was a kid stalking trophy pickerel.

Several anglers who post in this section that fish for Rios on the fly should be able to help. The fly anglers who I fish with use a sinking wacky worm or a sinking Salamander or sinking Crawdad. The hooks look to be a size 8 or 10. The hooks are small. The flies are brown in color. thumb
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 07:25 PM

Size 12 or even 14 are good. I tye my Whacky Worms using 1" piece of rubber worm material on an egg hook in natural brown or pink. I also dub the hook shank to better hold the rubber worm in place and to help it sink. A strip of lead wire under layer to the dubbing also works well. I believe Bass Pro sell a larger version and call it a squeegly worm. I have been tying mine using Kids toys called Puffer worms long before Bass Pro opened there doors. Best of luck to you. fish

Re: Rio Question - 08/29/19 08:05 PM

Gonna head to Brushy Creek in the morning to give it a go; bass and rios beware.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Rio Question - 08/30/19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bones72
Gonna head to Brushy Creek in the morning to give it a go; bass and rios beware.

Good luck. Hope you catch some! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rio Question - 08/30/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Catyakker
Size 12 or even 14 are good. I tye my Whacky Worms using 1" piece of rubber worm material on an egg hook in natural brown or pink. I also dub the hook shank to better hold the rubber worm in place and to help it sink. A strip of lead wire under layer to the dubbing also works well. I believe Bass Pro sell a larger version and call it a squeegly worm. I have been tying mine using Kids toys called Puffer worms long before Bass Pro opened there doors. Best of luck to you. fish

That's what I am talking about!
Posted By: jagg

Re: Rio Question - 09/05/19 06:21 AM

They will smoke those leggy ones! Nice!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum