Texas Fishing Forum

Decker Lake (Walter Long) ?

Posted By: doctorxring

Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 04:13 AM

My son lives in Austin and we got to talking about Decker lake. Neither of us know anything about it but were are interested
in fishing for sunfish there. How is Decker for sunfish ? Are there many fish of good size there ?

thanks ! Chris
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 04:33 AM

I have fished Decker several times over the years. Great sunfish lake. The last time I fished there was this past October and there was a ton of Hydrilla in that lake. It made it difficult to fish in a lot of spots. Have not been back since. Several friends of mine have fished from Kayaks on Decker several times this spring and have done pretty good on the sunnies. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 12:36 PM

I love fishing Decker! Great kayak lake. Like Chuck stated above plenty of heavy Hydrilla beds. Lake holds some very nice sunfish. I fish Decker about 10 times a year,all from kayak. woot

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 02:55 PM

Chuck, LO — Thanks guys ! This is incentive enough for us to go to Decker soon. I’ll report !

thanks ! Chris
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 03:19 PM

At one point it was a power plant lake. Plant has not been in operation for several years now. At one point the City Of Austin was going to shut down the lake but has since changed it's mind. For what I have been reading in the news I think a park is going to be made and the lake will stay!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 06:49 PM

I fished it for the first time on Sunday, 5/19/19. I really enjoyed it. Lots of good sized sunfish. I caught them on edges of the reed beds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/27/19 07:21 PM

Gitter, J-Moe -- thanks for these replies. From looking at the Google Map of this lake I think the park is in. Picnic tables, nice grounds, and a double boat ramp. Well J-Moe you cinched the knot for sure with those pics and recent results. We will be going soon. Beautiful perch. Can't wait !
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/28/19 01:15 PM

Nice fish J-Moe. woot
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/28/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
At one point it was a power plant lake. Plant has not been in operation for several years now. At one point the City Of Austin was going to shut down the lake but has since changed it's mind. For what I have been reading in the news I think a park is going to be made and the lake will stay!

Austin Energy does have plans to use the plant as a reliable resource for the energy grid. Not sure what capacity it's being used now but it will be used to produce energy in the near future.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/29/19 09:49 AM

Nice fish brother!!
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 05/29/19 09:53 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 06/10/19 10:36 PM

I went to Decker last year a couple of times. We caught some good sunnies but it was hot and windy so the grandson didn't last to long. Plan on going back there soon just to see what I can find.
Posted By: Atxguy

Re: Decker Lake (Walter Long) ? - 06/17/19 02:37 AM

Good sunfish at Decker. This one caught near spillway in 2017.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum