Texas Fishing Forum

Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod?

Posted By: Gitter Done

Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 05:13 PM

What is the best Pan Fish/Bluegill Rod in your opinion? noidea
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 05:15 PM

I've been using a Berkley Cheerywood ultralight rod. Bought it at Academy a few years back and I haven't seen them since.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I've been using a Berkley Cheerywood ultralight rod. Bought it at Academy a few years back and I haven't seen them since.

I saw them at Walmart the other day and they were a little under $20.00 I can remember seeing them on sale at Dicks this past September. Dick had em for $15.89
Posted By: dallee

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 07:43 PM

I have been using this one in the 4'8" version and the 7' version, both ultralights and have been pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0KMC4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 08:19 PM

Any fly rod 7 wt or below is the best bluegill rod. Everything else it either too short, too clumsy and generally less than civilized.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/09/19 09:58 PM

Gitter...In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Ugly Styk ultra light series. I have four of them and they are sensitive & tough, plus I have landed large bass & catfish on them. (I also have 6 Ugly Styk bass rods) If you have some cash to spend, St Croix & G-Loomis have what is considered to be two of the best ones on the market. The G-Loomis is supposed to be the lightest & most sensitive on out there, but they are over $200. Happy shopping...
Posted By: Flags

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/10/19 02:18 AM

6 and a half fool light action Berkeley Rod and a lightweight Shimano spinning reel spooled with 4 lb line. That's what I use in the float tube.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/10/19 03:09 AM

I had a blast making very long casts with a jig and curly-tail grub using my Soare 7'6" rod. To die for . . . if you want to cover water and catch them that way. But very expensive!

Most of the time I use a St. Croix Ultra-light Panfish series 5 footer with 2 lbs. Sufix Nanobraid and get up close and personal fishing around and under boat houses, docks.

There are always those big gills on Lake Athens up in the shade!

Brad
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/10/19 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Gitter...In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Ugly Styk ultra light series. I have four of them and they are sensitive & tough, plus I have landed large bass & catfish on them. (I also have 6 Ugly Styk bass rods) If you have some cash to spend, St Croix & G-Loomis have what is considered to be two of the best ones on the market. The G-Loomis is supposed to be the lightest & most sensitive on out there, but they are over $200. Happy shopping...

Plus #1. On the Ugly Stick Combos. Best deal for the money. Great rig. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/10/19 10:34 AM

I am a huge fan of the Bass Pro ultralight combos. I have three of them and the fit my needs very well! woot
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/11/19 11:22 AM

we use a Fly Rod 1wt 6'-9" it been our go to rod for the pass 9 year.
FYI, water temp on pines 70 and sunfish have started moving in, this full moon should be a good time to look for them on the beds.
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/11/19 02:42 PM

Fly rod, 9ft Mystic Reaper 4wt

Spinning Rod, 7ft Cabelas Fish Eagle with a medium light action.

Baitcast, I am still working on that. LOL
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/12/19 11:55 PM

Going out next week hunting for gill's, water temp in low 70's, full moon on the 19th.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/13/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by WillieRip
Any fly rod 7 wt or below is the best bluegill rod. Everything else it either too short, too clumsy and generally less than civilized.

x2 !
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/13/19 12:40 PM

I use a Zebco Authentic series 4 foot rod with a Micro 11 reel for general purpose use. The Authentic Micro rig is much higher quality than the usual plastic Zebco product. I also like the Bass Pro Shops Microlite 4 ft 10 in rod with the Zebco Micro 11 reel.

In those cases where a longer rod is handy I use the Shakespeare Agility series 7 ft rod fitted with a Daiwa Goldcast reel. The rod was designed for trout, but it works well for Bluegill and other sunfish.

The short rigs can be had for less than $50, and the long rig for about $100. With them you can outfish much more expensive outfits.

Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/13/19 04:45 PM

I use a bass pro shops micro light 5'6" rod with a shimano stradic 1000 size reel.
Have caught a zillion fish on this setup everything from sunfish to bass, catfish, carp, buffalo.
Makes catching any fish fun and if you catch a larger fish quite a fight.
shorter rod also helps when fishing around trees or in cramped conditions.
I love this setup and if I had to pick just one rod/reel, this would be it.
Light enough for the small stuff but also lets me bring in some larger fish when I hook into them.
This is a very versatile setup.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/27/19 06:57 AM

I love my older 6’ BPS Graphite Microlite. It is my go to for creeks, small rivers and inhospitable banks. My St Croix Panfish Rods (6’9” ULF and 7” LXF) are the best panfish rods I’ve ever fished with and I’ve fished with a bunch for sure!
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Pan Fish / Bluegill Rod? - 04/29/19 01:58 PM

I don't know about best, but I've been using an Okuma Celilo UL. It's a trout rod, but I've really liked it. I'm using the 5'6", but they have other sizes that would work well if you needed to make longer casts. I paired it with an Okuma stratus reel and it does the trick. It's really sensitive but strong too. I got into a bunch of sandbass at the spillway and was pulling up two at a time from the water up and over the railing. I've also fought and landed a good sized buffalo fish that I foul hooked with the rod, that was pretty fun.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum