Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel.

Posted By: Laker One

Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/08/19 01:36 PM

What is your take? coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/08/19 03:00 PM

Never tried fly fishing. I have always used spinning gear!
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/08/19 03:24 PM

They both have their pros and cons.

The spinning reel will allow more casts. You can also “sling shot” your spinning setup under docks and lob into tight places.

The fly rod needs more room to cast. However, the fly rod will allow for more delicate presentations. And “I” am more accurate with the fly rod out to 60 feet. Just saying.

I was helping with the fishing merit badge at Camp Hale last summer. I watched multiple scouts throw a jig into this 4 foot cove about 30 feet off the dock. As they were packing up, I threw a fly into that same “hole” and a 8in sun peach came up from underneath and hammered the fly as fly started to sink in the water.

This is just a 20,000 foot overview of my experances.

They both have their place in my opinion, and I like fishing with both.
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/08/19 05:48 PM

I prefer my ultra lite spinning tackle simply because I have been using it for so long. A long, long, long time!! Yesterday, it was just important to keep the lure in the water.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 03:44 PM

Spinning and spincast reels work fine attached to a 5' 6" or 6' light action rod. With some spincast reels I can braid - my best line for the light stuff.
Have a fly rod but hate waving that thing back & forth for every cast. I suppose it necessary for super light flies but I stopped using them years ago.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 04:01 PM

Fly rod for me. If you can get your distance right, you can pick up the line and make another cast without reeling in or stripping in line. A spinning rig you have to reel in between casts. You can throw tiny, weightless little things too light to use with a spinning rig or use something heavy enough for spinning tackle. I’ve used various fly rods to toss panfish jigs, weightless little nymphs, or whatever. You can mend around obstacles like logs and snags, 90 degree casts left or right with floating fly line, spinning gear you can’t really do that. Bow and arrow casts work in spots that a spinning rig might have trouble. Fly rods come in many lengths and weights. A lot of folks think they are all pretty much 9’ awkward things, but I have rods from a 6’2” 2 weight on up to a 9’ 10 weight. The ones I typically use for bluegill are the 6’2” 2 weight up to 7’6” 5/6 weight.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 04:12 PM

Since 12 years of age, when I purchased my first fly rod from my piggy bank proceeds, I've been sold on fly fishing for 'gills.

I still get as much enjoyment today, many years later, watching big 'gills attack a Miss Prissy or swallow a Prince nymph and run circles around you. Never gets old.
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 04:41 PM

San, I love that statement.

Even well known fly enthusiasts Lefty Kreh stated a fly rod was not applicable for all applications. It just depended on how and when you were targeting “a” species.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 08:12 PM

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: Techno2000

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/09/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Spinning and spincast reels work fine attached to a 5' 6" or 6' light action rod. With some spincast reels I can braid - my best line for the light stuff.
Have a fly rod but hate waving that thing back & forth for every cast. I suppose it necessary for super light flies but I stopped using them years ago.

Yeah.. it's too much work,you can do the same thing with a fly under a float on a spinning rod
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Fly Rod Vs. Spinning Reel. - 02/20/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Techno2000
Originally Posted by SenkoSam

Yeah.. it's too much work,you can do the same thing with a fly under a float on a spinning rod

I wade fish with a buddy, he fly fishes, while I use a spinning rig to fish. He uses a 9 foot 4 weight, while I use an 11 ft fast action spinning rod, with a cork. We always try to see who can catch more fish. Arguably, he can catch more fish, but not always. I normally dont have to spend as much time fretting with my equipment, as he does.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum