Texas Fishing Forum

First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 01:23 AM

Fished the South Llano River at the South Llano River State Park in Junction. The current was fast and it did not take long after the stocking truck had left for the Rainbow Trout to get active. Caught over 25 fish and kept five for the dinner table. Fish were caught on a Gold Super Duper Lure. Every one fishing were also doing well. Getting the first limit of Rainbow Trout of the stocking season. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 03:43 AM

Nice, sounds like a really fun day.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 12:25 PM

Beautiful country. Some seriously good eating there. food
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 02:21 PM

Chuck chasing around the trout stocking truck bolt That's a true sign that winter is approaching. That really looked fun. Wish I could have been there with you fly fishing for them.

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 03:53 PM

Thanks Ocelot,Jamie, and Curt047 for the replies. cheers Jamie: Love the Trout Stocking Season. Great scenery and you meet some super people. I only catch Rainbow Trout this time of the year when the Sunfish bite slows down. The stocking program is a GREAT fill in! thumb Those trout are also hard to beat at the dinner table. food

Side Note: Also had the opportunity to meet three Biologist of the Texas Parks&Wildlife San Antonio Inland Fisheries Division who were at the stocking to assist the stocking procedure. Great guys who do a great job. thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 08:07 PM

Thats awesome Banker! cheers
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/05/18 08:29 PM

Is that part of the Llano that recently had major flooding?
Posted By: stubby77

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/11/18 01:15 AM

Thats what I'm talking about .
Posted By: Vogey

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/11/18 12:45 PM

Banker...Beautiful water & nice fish...so how do you fish a super duper lure ? Just cast it out & reel it in slow, or bounce it off the bottom , or what ?
Posted By: gar1970

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/11/18 04:09 PM

Nice limit chuck! cheers
Posted By: pop r

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/12/18 01:11 AM

thumb Well done Chuck. Sure is pretty down there.

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/14/18 04:59 PM

Thanks Yesenia, Andrew,Stubby77,Vogey,Leo,and pop r for the replies. cheers Andrew: Yes Sir that is the same area that was flooded. It's making a nice come back. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/22/18 04:32 PM

Great way to start the Trout Stocking Season! Good job Chuck. Will you be making the trip for the next stocking at the S.Llano? Also any plans to fish the S.Llano the upcoming year for the sunfish?

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/27/18 03:33 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers Love fishing the Kimble County Area and the South Llano River. I do plan on fishing there several times in 2019. As for the next stocking on the S.Llano it's about a 50/50 chance I fish it. thumb
Posted By: Texdan

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/28/18 08:38 PM

Finally caught some of those stocker rainbow trout, now I need a good recipe on how to cook them. Tips?

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/30/18 04:09 AM

Thanks Texdan for the reply! cheers I love my trout fried. I use regular Wesson Oil. Make sure the grease is super hot. I love dipping my fish in regular yellow mustard and then right into a pile of Louisiana Extra Crispy Fish Fry. Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. They are also good on the grill. Spray the grill with Pam or use a grill catcher sprayed with Pam. Let your fish set in Worcestershire Sauce for about 15 minutes and then place on your grill over your hot cols . Let cook for about 7 minutes on each side. You can also rap them in foil putting bacon,onions,and bell peppers inside. Place on open cols or on top of hot grill for 15 to 20 minutes. thumb

Side Note: Goes great with a COLD Modelo ! cheers

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/30/18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Thanks Texdan for the reply! cheers I love my trout fried. I use regular Wesson Oil. Make sure the grease is super hot. I love dipping my fish in regular yellow mustard and then right into a pile of Louisiana Extra Crispy Fish Fry. Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. They are also good on the grill. Spray the grill with Pam or use a grill catcher sprayed with Pam. Let your fish set in Worcestershire Sauce for about 15 minutes and then place on your grill over your hot cols . Let cook for about 7 minutes on each side. You can also rap them in foil putting bacon,onions,and bell peppers inside. Place on open cols or on top of hot grill for 15 to 20 minutes. thumb

Side Note: Goes great with a COLD Modelo ! cheers

Thanks BAF. Decisions, decisions!

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/31/18 03:15 AM

It's all good Texdan! Once you find a way that you like best you will get better each time you cook fish! Nothing beats a fresh fish dinner! food A nice plate full of fried Bluegill is hard to beat also! thumb

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 12/31/18 03:16 PM

It's all good Texdan! Once you find a way that you like best you will get better each time you cook fish! Nothing beats a fresh fish dinner! food A nice plate full of fried Bluegill is hard to beat also! thumb

Agree on the Bluegills. When I was a kid in Ohio used to catch a bunch of them but never knew they were edible so always threw them back. Guess my mom never knew it either or we would have been eating them instead. Of course my parents grew up catching Lake Erie perch so they were spoiled!

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 01/04/19 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Texdan

Agree on the Bluegills. When I was a kid in Ohio used to catch a bunch of them but never knew they were edible so always threw them back. Guess my mom never knew it either or we would have been eating them instead. Of course my parents grew up catching Lake Erie perch so they were spoiled!

thumb

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 01/08/19 07:04 PM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers Love fishing the Kimble County Area and the South Llano River. I do plan on fishing there several times in 2019. As for the next stocking on the S.Llano it's about a 50/50 chance I fish it. thumb

Looks like a great place to fish!

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 01/12/19 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Looks like a great place to fish!

thumb Deep in the hart of texas
Posted By: Laker One

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 01/23/19 01:24 PM

Could have not fished a better place to start the trout stocking season. Nice post and fish! Good job Chuck! woot

Side Note: How did the river/area look? That area got hammered bad during last October's flooding. taz

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 02/04/19 10:24 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. Love the South Llano River. Beautiful Country. The area got hit pretty hard and there was a loss of life. The river is making a good come back. A lot of the places I fish on that river have changed up some due to the flooding. Providing there is no more flooding the South Llano should be a pretty good river to fish. thumb

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 02/05/19 01:16 PM

Let's all hope for a very good year ahead!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 02/08/19 01:31 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. Love the South Llano River. Beautiful Country. The area got hit pretty hard and there was a loss of life. The river is making a good come back. A lot of the places I fish on that river have changed up some due to the flooding. Providing there is no more flooding the South Llano should be a pretty good river to fish. thumb

Always bad news when there is a loss of life. Glad that the river is making a comeback. The South Llano is on the radar for this year. Thanks for the reply. woot

Re: First Trout Limit of the Stocking Season! - 02/11/19 03:47 PM

Should be a pretty good fishing spot for sure! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum