Texas Fishing Forum

Thumpin' Today

Posted By: Flags

Thumpin' Today - 08/18/18 07:46 PM

As the sun came up this morning it found me floating on Athens in the tube. Beautiful morning with no wind and not too hot and not many people on the lake. As always the sunfish were ready to start the day in their rather pugnacious manner. Used my standard set up and took a lot of fish today but the size was a little smaller than I normally get. But they made up for it in numbers. Pretty sure I took close to 50 fish today. Most of them in the 5-6 inch range but there were enough bigger fish to keep it interesting. I got all of the commons species in the lake: gills, redbreast and shellcrackers.

I ended up keeping 6 fish today, all in the 7-9 inch range. Got a few bigger than that but let them go. I forgot to take my phone so I didn't get any pics on the lake, just this one before I put them to the knife.

As soon as I got home I got them ready for that table. Filleted them and cooked them immediately. I am going low carb for 3 weeks so I couldn't fry them. I put them in the steamer with a big shot of lemon juice in the water and sprinkled smoked paprika on them and let them steam for 20 min and them made a spicy cocktail sauce. It was a right tasty lunch.

life is good. Cheers Y'all.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Thumpin' Today - 08/19/18 12:05 AM

Great post Flags. Perfect eating size! thumb

Side Note: Which is the better bite. Summer or Fall? hmmm
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Thumpin' Today - 08/19/18 01:27 PM

Nice report and fish as always! Good job. woot
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Thumpin' Today - 08/20/18 12:10 AM

Good stuff right there...!
Posted By: Pot licker