Texas Fishing Forum

Sunfish ID Help

Posted By: MassAction

Sunfish ID Help - 08/07/18 03:11 AM

I caught this sunfish in Barton Creek over the weekend and its ID has me a bit stymied. The opercular flap and overall shape / size look redbreast to me, but the colors look like a long ear. My best guess is a hybrid of the two, but I'll gladly defer to the braintrust that is this board.

I know that sunfish frequently change colors depending on the season, but if this is a true long ear, it's by far my PB.

Thanks!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/07/18 03:15 AM

Hybrid Sunfish!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/07/18 01:15 PM

Hybrid. Looks like Longear/Bluegill mix.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/08/18 03:51 PM

MassAction has stumped the Sunfish section.

Normally Fish ID threads quickly get a lot of replies

As for me, I say Longear/Redbreast
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/08/18 06:10 PM

Beautiful colors. I don't see any green sunfish influence but definitely see longear and redbreast influence. That's a real beauty.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/10/18 03:38 PM

Thanks for the ID help guys! This was definitely a tough one, but as mentioned I'm really happy I managed to land it, whatever it is!
Posted By: boocat

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/10/18 07:35 PM

Nice looking fish, and I have an affection for the bluegill section but I must say in about a month when I go to Whitney I'm gonna be calling that "striper bait"
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/10/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
Thanks for the ID help guys! This was definitely a tough one, but as mentioned I'm really happy I managed to land it, whatever it is!

Had I caught it, I would have put that in my aquarium.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/12/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitz�
Originally Posted By: MassAction

Had I caught it, I would have put that in my aquarium.

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Sunfish ID Help - 08/14/18 02:14 PM

That's why I love this section of the TFF! There are some super anglers here that know their fish.

Side Note: I also love seeing the catches you guys and gals make! Also beautiful fish Mass Action.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum