Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite panfish hook

Posted By: Naggler

Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 04:05 AM

Just wandering what is your go to hook for sunfish/panfish...what size/style? I usually run with #4 gold aberdeen, but was hoping someone had another suggestion for a stronger hook that you can still get out of the brush when hung up. I like the sickle hooks for crappie.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 04:58 AM

I like the long shank on these hooks for 2 reasons first you can thread a long piece of nightcrawler onto it so when the gill bites the crawler slides up the line making the bait last longer and second makes it easy to grab onto to remove.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: gar1970

I like the long shank on these hooks for 2 reasons first you can thread a long piece of nightcrawler onto it so when the gill bites the crawler slides up the line making the bait last longer and second makes it easy to grab onto to remove.

Plus #1. hooked

Side Note: I also use the Eagle Claw size 8 Cricket Hooks and the regular size 6 and 8 short shaft Eagle Claw Hooks. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 01:40 PM

Size 6 and 8 Eagle Claw Hooks. Both Cricket and regular sizes.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 02:10 PM

When fishing for White Bass and Crappie I usually use a size 6 regular size Eagle Claw.
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/08/18 05:29 PM

#2 but I'm still learning from the Masters. Only recently switched to Cricket hooks. Only draw back I have found is the hook bend seems to bend nearly straight when trying to drag a 3# or larger Bass up a vertical bank. hooked
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Favorite panfish hook - 07/09/18 09:34 PM

I've gone to 1/64 oz jigs with #4 and #6 hooks for bluegill.

These really help a lot with preventing the sunfish from
taking the bait too deep. I use these with a quill as
well as down shot rig.

This is a BIG picture of small hooks smile

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum