Texas Fishing Forum

Headed for the High Country

Posted By: Flags

Headed for the High Country - 06/24/18 04:51 PM

Getting my rig ready today to push out for CO in the morning. I will push straight through to my mother's house and spend a day with her and then go through Fort Collins and up the Poudre Canyon to Cameron Pass. That will be the first stop since I want to fish Joe Wright Reservoir. That lake has Arctic Grayling and Tiger Trout (a brown/brookie hybrid) in it. I'll put the tube on it and see if I can get a few.

Arctic Grayling

Tiger Trout

Then I will head towards Rand and set up a camp near Pass Creek. This little creek is full of Brook Trout up to 11 inches.

From there I can make side trips to Granby Reservoir to fish for Lake trout and Kokanne Salmon. There is a lake just past Granby called Monarch and it has some really good Brown Trout and Brook Trout in it and there is a river that flows out of it and goes into Granby that has Colorado River Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout and Cutbows (a rainbow/cutthroat hybrid). Occasionally I take a Lake Trout out of the river as well. Sometime during the time I am there I will head to Zimmerman lake to try and catch a Green-Backed Cutthroat (CO's state fish and an endangered species).

Brook Trout

Lake Trout

Kokanne Salmon

Brown Trout

Rainbow Trout

Colorado River Cutthroat Trout

Cutbow Trout

Green-Back Cutthroat Trout

When I leave the high country I will spend a little time on the prairies. I know of a lake with some decent catfish and my brother told me about a lake they put Tiger Muskies in. Got to try and tangle with one of those in the tube!

Tiger Muskie

My goal is 10 species of cold water fish plus the muskie and cats. I'll also be on the lookout for deer, elk, pronghorn. moose, bear, cougar and bighorn sheep. When I return I will put up a post that should be pretty picture heavy.

Cheers Y'all!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/24/18 04:55 PM

Have a safe trip Flags! Enjoy the cool weather and crystal clear water! Looking forward to your post and pictures when you return. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/24/18 06:37 PM

Wish I was going with you! woot That is one way to the beat the HEAT! flame Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Looking forward to reading your post and looking at a bunch of pictures when you get back. woot
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/26/18 08:08 PM

Have a good trip
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/27/18 02:08 PM

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Looking forward to your post!
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/28/18 01:39 AM

Sounds like a great trip in the making. Be safe.

>E
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Headed for the High Country - 06/28/18 09:07 PM

Be safe have fun and take lots of fish pics!!;)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum