Texas Fishing Forum

Athens 6/15/18

Posted By: Flags

Athens 6/15/18 - 06/15/18 10:14 PM

Took the tube out on Athens today for about 2 hrs on a mission. The mission was to put some fish in the freezer. Normally I'm a catch and let go kind of person for the most part but the fetching and beautiful Mrs. Chief wanted some on ice. Also I decided if I want some I needed to do it now because next week I have a leadership camp with some of the cadets from my NJROTC unit and will be in Fort Worth and on 6/24 I head for the high country in CO for a few weeks of trout fishing. By the time I get back to TX the fish will be deep and harder to find.

So I got some crawlers and headed to a few of my favorite spots. Like a dummy I forgot my phone and couldn't take pics while fishing. I think I caught about 30 fish and I kept an even dozen.

These were all good fish but the photo really doesn't do them justice since there is nothing in it for scale. So I grabbed the 2 biggest fish and put my left hand in the photo to show how big they were. Really quality sunfish in my opinion.

In addition to the sunfish I got one small bass and a turtle. So Mrs. Chief now has some fillets for when I'm in CO. Live is good here in East TX.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/15/18 11:56 PM

You are on a roll Flags. Catching those Athens slabs. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/16/18 01:13 PM

Great post and some super slabs! As always good job Flags! woot

Side Note: How is the fall bite on Athens? Considering a fall trip. hmmm
Posted By: Flags

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/16/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Great post and some super slabs! As always good job Flags! woot

Side Note: How is the fall bite on Athens? Considering a fall trip. hmmm

I couldn't tell you about fall fishing for gills in Athens. I teach NJROTC in HS and Sept to Nov is my busiest time with football games, drill meets, community service, Veterans Day etc... I rarely have any time for fishing and when i do have time I usually hit the cats in the fall. By the time it slows down in Dec they are stocking trout and I switch over to them and do some deer hunting as well.

Brad R lives along the banks of Athens and he could probably give you better info than I can.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/16/18 07:45 PM

Thanks Flags! Usually fall and winter are busy times for me at work also. I work a 4/3. Four days on and three days off! During my three days off I rarely get called in or called. I try to fish at least two of my three days off! Might make a trip to Athens in the early fall. I know the sunnies are pretty active during that period. Just need to find them!
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/16/18 08:46 PM

Flags/All, I hit Lake Athens today and took along a panfish rod and caught two really large bull bluegills, similar in size to the ones Flags photo'd next to his hand.

The real "traditional" bluegill is a great looking fish and the big ones look like dinner plates, well maybe salad plate sized. They are almost as "tall" as they are long, almost round.

My little flip phone is in Houston, so no pics. I also caught one really nice bass close to 5 lbs. but likely something in the mid 4s.

Over underneath the 2495 bridge on the north side "section," I floated in there and caught a real diverse collection of pan fish including one little tiny 2" warmouth that would have been perfect for an aquarium. Really great colors. There are rocks along there and that apparently attracts pan fish.

Someone asked about fall months and it is okay though I think late spring/ early summer seems to be the peak. At some point, they take off for deeper water and I am uncertain when that occurs.

Brad
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/16/18 09:42 PM

Sooey !! Here pig pig !!

Good job Flags !! Those are some trophy class hog slabs !!

cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Athens 6/15/18 - 06/17/18 02:33 PM

As always GREAT post!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum