Texas Fishing Forum

More Slabs!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

More Slabs! - 06/14/18 04:16 PM

Still catching some BIG SLABS but the "HOT" days are making the bigger fish harder to find and catch. Bigger fish get very lazy during the heat of the day and the bite slows down a lot. Myself and good friend Steve fished a early morning bite on Dunlap and then finished on a creek. Fish were still holding in shallow water 3 to 5 feet deep by docks,brush piles,rocks,weed/grass beds,and over hanging tree limbs. Caught some nice Bluegill,Redbreast,Hybrid Sunfish,Rios,and Channel Cats. Some were kept for the frying pan. Fish were caught using worms with bottom techniques. We fished from sun-up till 2pm. Catching some super slabs with a good friend. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Catyakker

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 04:45 PM

Those are some super fish right there. Those Rios are huge. Looks like Steve has a chore ahead of him cleaning all those critters. Great job. food

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 05:38 PM

Thanks Rick for the reply! cheers All we need to do is cope with the HEAT! flame Early morning will be the answer! thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 08:06 PM

Nice going Chuck and Steve. The heat is on and so's the fishing.

How do the Rios taste compared to say Crappie, Sunfish or catfish?
Posted By: Vogey

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 08:55 PM

Very nice... How was Dunlap compared to the creek fishing? Most of the pics show weed beds that don't look like Dunlap water weeds. I think Rios taste good, but I prefer the medium to smaller ones to eat...

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 11:12 PM

Thanks Andrew and Vogey for the replies. cheers Andrew: I do not eat Rios but have been told that they are great table fare. Steve is a "Master Cook" when it comes to fish. He can fry em,grill em,broil em,and even makes a great gumbo. He also smokes em. food Steve says the Rio meat is white very similar to the sunfish. He says Rio's are great fried and grilled. food My top three fish to eat are #1. White Bass,#2 Crappie and #3 Bluegill/Sunfish! I also love catfish and trout! thumb Vogey: We fished Dunlap right at day break and caught about 12 Channel Catfish all in the 2 to 4 pound range. I had one break off that would have easily gone over 7 Lbs. Should have netted it. bang The weed beds were on a creek. As for the Rios,Steve will eat em small,medium,or large! partyon
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: More Slabs! - 06/14/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Those are some super fish right there. Those Rios are huge. Looks like Steve has a chore ahead of him cleaning all those critters. Great job. food

+1

Re: More Slabs! - 06/15/18 01:22 AM

Thanks Clayton for the reply! You and Steve can find those "BIG" slabs! hooked
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: More Slabs! - 06/15/18 03:17 AM

Great stuff Chuck and Steve. I've got to get in on those Rio's one day.

>E

Re: More Slabs! - 06/15/18 09:42 AM

Thanks Kelly for the reply! cheers All you have to do is call! There are plenty of "HUGE" Rios down here! breakdance It's been a GREAT Rio year so far! thumb
Posted By: Flags

Re: More Slabs! - 06/15/18 10:16 PM

Now that looks like a good day of fishing. Someday I need to head south and catch some Rios. Never caught one and would like to look one over.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: More Slabs! - 06/17/18 07:00 PM

Huge bream. Very nice.

Re: More Slabs! - 06/28/18 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Flags
Now that looks like a good day of fishing. Someday I need to head south and catch some Rios. Never caught one and would like to look one over.

Thanks Flags and Champion Fish for the replies. cheers Creek fishing has been GREAT down here! coolio Flags: Anytime you want to come down send me a message and I will try to put you on some Rios! hooked
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: More Slabs! - 06/29/18 11:57 AM

Nice fish Chuck!!

Re: More Slabs! - 07/04/18 09:53 AM

Thanks Alan! cheers It has been a pretty GOOD year! hooked
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: More Slabs! - 07/04/18 11:07 AM

cheers
Posted By: gar1970

Re: More Slabs! - 07/04/18 12:23 PM

Nothing better than fishing with good friends and a bucket o fish! Nicely done chuck
Posted By: jnd59

Re: More Slabs! - 07/04/18 10:24 PM

That does bring back memories. The youngest and I fished for the at Weatherford earlier this year. Found the small ones. Still trying to figure out the big'uns. Nice mess of fish.

Re: More Slabs! - 07/06/18 06:23 PM

Thanks mrm4545,Leo,and jnd59 for the replies. cheers Targeting the sunnies is hard to beat! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: More Slabs! - 07/10/18 01:08 PM

You guys are nailing em! hooked Are you still seeing Rio's on nest? hmmm
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: More Slabs! - 07/10/18 07:03 PM

WTG guys!! Those rios are LARGE!! cheers

Re: More Slabs! - 07/17/18 02:37 AM

Thanks Curtis and Yesenia for the replies! cheers Yesenia: It has been a SUPER year for catching BIG Rios! It should continue! hooked Curtis: I am still seeing only a few Rios on nest. Most have already left the nest and are staring to school up! Bite is picking up! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: More Slabs! - 07/21/18 01:17 PM

I have not seen any on nest this past week. I think they are schooling up and starting to feed. Starting to catch a lot more on my trips! hooked

Re: More Slabs! - 07/26/18 09:09 AM

Totally agree! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: More Slabs! - 07/31/18 01:46 PM

Nice fish guys! You all have been having a super year catching some super fish! What is your take on the late summer,fall bite?

Side note: Especially the Rio bite?

Re: More Slabs! - 08/03/18 09:15 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers The bite has been great all year! It should be great during the late summer and fall! hooked The Rio bite has picked up now that their spawn is over. The Rios should be very active looking for food for the upcoming winter! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: More Slabs! - 08/07/18 01:56 PM

Love seeing those Rio catches!

Re: More Slabs! - 08/11/18 10:07 AM

Me to! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum