Texas Fishing Forum

Two Outstanding Anglers!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/20/18 08:32 PM

Had the privilege and the opportunity to fish with two OUTSTANDING Anglers this week. Jamie aka J-Moe and Rick aka Catyakker. Rick was able to meet Jamie for the first time as we fished a South Central Texas creek. Both Rick and Jamie used their fly rods while I used my trusty ultralight with night-crawlers. The creek was in good condition with crystal clear water. We fished from 7am till 12 noon. The bite was consistent. We caught some nice Rios,Bluegill,Redbreast,Longear,Hybrid Sunfish,and a few bass. Jamie was able to add to his record collection with three more new water body records. Jamie caught a 9.50" Rio with a certified weight of .79 lbs. A water body weight,fly-rod weight,and fly-rod catch&release records will be applied for. Congratulations Jamie! You are having a SUPER year! Jamie also fished from his kayak. I was very pleased that Rick was able to meet and fish with Jamie. That made my day. After a morning of fishing we had a great lunch/breakfast at Sammy's Restaurant in beautiful down town Castroville TX. Fishing with two GREAT ANGLERS on a South Texas Creek! It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/20/18 09:42 PM

Super great time...love those Chrystal clear creeks. And meeting J-Moe was extra special after reading all about his exploits on this forum. One heck of a fly fisherman and fly maker. Of course it always makes for a good fishing adventure fishing with Banker. Thanks guys for the outstanding memories. soldier

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/20/18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Super great time...love those Chrystal clear creeks. And meeting J-Moe was extra special after reading all about his exploits on this forum. One heck of a fly fisherman and fly maker. Of course it always makes for a good fishing adventure fishing with Banker. Thanks guys for the outstanding memories. soldier

Always my pleasure Rick! Hopefully more great times ahead! thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/20/18 10:52 PM

Awesome guys glad y'all had a great time congrats Jamie on your records what fly did you use
Posted By: pop r

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 12:01 AM

thumb It's hard to beat creek and river fishing. Well done.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 12:22 AM

Thanks, as always, Chuck. It was a great day and I'm glad to finally meet Rick. Rick has been fly fishing for many many more years than me. It was great hearing all his stories about fly fishing different parts of the world, stories about the history of flies and some of the great catches he has had in his life. If he would have been keeping records all his life there wouldn't be any room in the record books for me. grin

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Awesome guys glad y'all had a great time congrats Jamie on your records what fly did you use

Clayton, I caught the record Rio on a fly I call the Crawfish Briminator. I caught another one that was 9.25 inches on a yellow Llano bug. I caught a ton of fish but those were the only 2 over 1/2 lb. Thanks for the congrats.

There were a lot of fish on beds. I was able to get the Rio to take a fly while guarding it's bed with it's smaller mate. I wasn't able to get any of the other species on beds to take a fly. They were too busy chasing off all the other smaller fish.

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: pop r
thumb It's hard to beat creek and river fishing. Well done.

Thanks pop r
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 04:02 AM

Great post and great times.

>E
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/21/18 05:04 PM

Great post Banker!
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/22/18 08:26 PM

Nice going Gentlemen cheers

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 05/29/18 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. cheers Love watch those fly anglers working their magic. hooked

Side Note. Also enjoy watching them breaking my records. hung frkazoid
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/06/18 12:32 PM

As always a super post Chuck! As you say fishing with friends is hard to beat! Both J-Moe and Catyakker are on a record role! Great seeing those fly rod records going up! Always nice J-Moe seeing a Rio especially the bigger one taking a fly while guarding a nest. Good job guys. woot

Side Note: What weight fly rods were used? hmmm
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/06/18 05:59 PM

Thanks Laker. I never thought about records until I started getting guided by Banker. grin It just gives me a little extra incentive to get out on the water most every day instead of sitting by the TV watching old westerns. Retirement can get boring without something to get off my duff for. I started out using a 5 Wt TFO rod many years ago, then went down to 3 Wt TFO, then a 2 Wt TFO. Now I am stuck on a 2 Wt Glass CGR lined with 3 Wt line to to cast a larger variety of fly sizes. I just love the bend of a Glass rod verses Graphite. Just wish I could justify the cost of Bamboo. cry

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/08/18 10:37 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! cheers Both Jamie and Rick are two "SUPER" anglers. They can really throw the flies with pin point accuracy. hooked Fishing and simply enjoying the outdoors is what it is all about! breakdance A record just adds icing on the cake! dance2
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/13/18 12:09 PM

Totally Agree Chuck! Love fishing on the fly! woot

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/18/18 09:54 AM

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/23/18 02:29 PM

Looks like a lot of experience between the two right there! Bet they are fun to watch. hooked

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 06/26/18 09:20 AM

Both Jamie and Rick are MASTER'S of fly fishing. coolio They fish every inch of water with pin point casting. They have caught a lot BIG fish over the years. hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 07/01/18 02:19 PM

That is one sport I wished I could have learned. Never got into fly fishing but it seems that the anglers who do fly fish make it their primary way of fishing. Like you have said Chuck, "Fly fishing is an art"!

Re: Two Outstanding Anglers! - 07/06/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
That is one sport I wished I could have learned. Never got into fly fishing but it seems that the anglers who do fly fish make it their primary way of fishing. Like you have said Chuck, "Fly fishing is an art"!

Plus #1. Totally agree! As for me I am content in my old ways. Give me an ultralight and a carton of worms and I am one very happy angler! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum