Texas Fishing Forum

A Sunny Type of Day on Athens

Posted By: Flags

A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/06/18 09:46 PM

Spent a few hrs in the tube on Athens today. It was a typical sunfish type of day. Lots of fish, some were real runts but for the most part they were pretty good. Fish are still scattered so it was moving and fishing. Catch 2 or 3 and then move on. Some were by the boat houses, some were under overhanging trees, some were around the pads and some were out in the open. Pieces of worms on small jig heads did the trick.

The fish were fat and full of fight. The 2 above would be typical of the day. I'm guessing I took around 25 total. The fish below was the big fish of the day. Taped right at 10 inches but look how fat it is! It was a real scrapper on my ultra light rig too. All fish were released to fight another day.

I also found a huge alligator snapping turtle floating dead in a shallow cove. Smelled it before I saw it. At least 4 ft across the shell. Biggest one I have ever seen. I used to live in FL and they were legal to catch there and I helped a guy get one that went nearly 90 lbs and this one was bigger. Too bad it was dead but that is the fate that awaits us all in the end.

Cheers Y'all
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/06/18 10:57 PM

As always Flags. Great post and some super fish. The big fish of the day is a "HOG"! Good job Sir. thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/07/18 12:57 AM

Love this time of year the forum heats up just like the fishing....seeing that turtle would of had me paddling home roflmao you are braver than I am I just don't like water I can't see into ever since I was 9 wading across cow bayou up around marlin checking trotlines with my grandpaw neck deep in the water and somthing rather large swam in between my legs I've had the creeps there's sometimes I'm in my kayak and his gotta paddle ashore for a min cause I'll get my self all syked out "it's the white whale Capitan"!!!!!!
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/07/18 12:57 AM

Nice slabs flags
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/07/18 01:38 AM

Nice going Flags. Was it crowded?
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/07/18 09:51 AM

Nice looking fish
Posted By: Flags

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/07/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Nice going Flags. Was it crowded?

Nope. Nice enjoyable day on the water.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/08/18 11:30 AM

Nice fish and post.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/09/18 12:41 PM

Nice post and fish Flags. That last fish is a Monster Slab! Did you see any fish on nest? Also do you know the water temperature on Athens?

Side Note: The biggest snapper I ever saw was on the Salado Creek a couple of years ago. That thing looked like a dinosaur. I am guessing the weight between 60 and 70 lbs. The turtle was alive and well and walking slowly under the water.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: A Sunny Type of Day on Athens - 05/09/18 09:54 PM

Great post Flags! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum