Texas Fishing Forum

Keeping worms

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Keeping worms - 03/29/18 10:11 PM

Anyone ever use store-bought, potting soil to keep their worms in? I'm thinking about making a worm bed out of a Styrofoam chest, but I'm not sure about what to do about soil.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Keeping worms - 03/29/18 10:40 PM

NO! Get you a bag of Canadian peat moss, be sure it is Canadian. Tractor Supply has it here. The potting soil has chemicals in it that are not good for worms. Soak the moss for a couple of days, wring it out till it is not dripping water, fill your container about 3/4 full and add worms. Put a layer of wet newspaper over them.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Keeping worms - 03/29/18 11:04 PM

Layers of peat and/or coco coir and newspaper. Lots of shredded newspaper.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Keeping worms - 03/29/18 11:22 PM

I use store bought worms all the time. I keep the cartons in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. They keep for a long time. Very convenient and easy to keep. thumb

Re: Keeping worms - 03/29/18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
I use store bought worms all the time. I keep the cartons in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. They keep for a long time. Very convenient and easy to keep. thumb

This works fine until your wife finds them. Then it's Kady Bar the Door!
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Keeping worms - 03/30/18 12:24 AM

I grew up in Ohio and would walk golf courses after a rain and could have 10-15 dozen nightcrawlers in no time. I used a storebought bedding that was ground up news papers. You wet it with water and then squeeze out the excess. I'd top it with the Canadian peat moss as described above. Throw a few breadcrumbs on top every couple of weeks and keep it in the fridge and you can keep them indefinitely. Be sure and pick out and dispose of any dead worms immediately.
Here's a site for great information too- https://unclejimswormfarm.com/what-can-i-use-for-worm-bedding/

Re: Keeping worms - 03/30/18 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

This works fine until your wife finds them. Then it's Kady Bar the Door!

I am not married! I have been divorced a very long time and never married again! thumb
Posted By: Flags

Re: Keeping worms - 03/30/18 02:50 PM

I keep mine at Walmart. I have to drive past it to get to Lake Athens and they are a 24 hr store here. No muss, no fuss, couple dollars on the counter and head to the lake.

Re: Keeping worms - 03/30/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Flags
I keep mine at Walmart. I have to drive past it to get to Lake Athens and they are a 24 hr store here. No muss, no fuss, couple dollars on the counter and head to the lake.

That is where I buy my worms at Walmart. Best price and the worms are always in GREAT shape! From Spring through late fall I always have several cartons ready to go! hooked

Re: Keeping worms - 03/30/18 09:55 PM

Used to you could go out to a cow pasture and gather some dried patties. Wet them down and that was the best thing in the world for keeping worms. It doesn't work so much these days. Cows are been given some kind of supplement that's not good for worms. I've also noticed this when trying to dig worms. They just don't live around stockyards like they did a few years ago.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Keeping worms - 03/31/18 01:51 PM

I use 100 percent artificial baits and lures! If I did have to use worms I would simply buy them at Walmart or other bait stores!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum