Texas Fishing Forum

Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/17/18 11:52 PM

Huge "CONGRATULATIONS" to Rick aka CatYakker of Schertz TX. on catching the pending Cibolo Creek Flyrod Redbreast Record! The fish was caught this afternoon. The fish was brought into an Official Texas Parks&Wildlife Weigh Station alive. The fish was 9.98" in length and had a 8.50" girth. The certified weight of the fish was .64 pounds. Photographs were taken and the fish was released to fight again. The fish was caught in water 2 to 3 feet deep using a Tadpole fly. The old Flyrod Record was .54 pounds set back in October 2016. Paper work will be sent into the Texas Parks&Wildlife for their review. Creek fishing is on FIRE with a lot of BIG fish active. Again "CONGRATULATIONS" Rick on catching a super fish! Weighing trophy fish caught by a super angler. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/18/18 12:45 AM

Congrats on the record catyakker
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/18/18 01:33 AM

Thanks Wildman...Cibolo Creek is really on fire. I caught a bunch of 8+ inchers the last two days, mostly Redbreasts and Bass up to 17 inches. I swear those Redbreasts put up a fight more violent than the Bass...and on a 2 Wt. fiber glass rod, made it extra fine on a fishing line. grin
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/18/18 02:42 AM

Congrats Catyakker thumb

I know the guy who held the previous record.

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/18/18 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Congrats Catyakker thumb

I know the guy who held the previous record.

bang whip bang whip
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/18/18 11:35 AM

Congrats on the record
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/19/18 12:49 AM

Congrats Catyakker cheers

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/27/18 04:19 AM

I expect a bunch of BIG fish will be caught this year! Weather the angler chooses to get his catch certified as a record is another story. This should be a BIG FISH year! thumb

Side Note: Big Fish have already been caught! cheers
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/28/18 12:15 AM

I said it once I’ll say it again Slab season is upon us .....IT IS ON.... coachcoachcoachwhipwhipwhip
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/28/18 01:02 PM

Congrats catyakker!

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/28/18 07:27 PM

Thanks a bunch J-Moe, Fitz, Pot Licker, and Gar 1970. J-Moe, I heard rumors about the previous record holder. Heard he was the fly fishing guru when it comes to Big Sunfish catching. Hope to meet that fella one day on the Creek. smile
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/28/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Thanks a bunch J-Moe, Fitz, Pot Licker, and Gar 1970. J-Moe, I heard rumors about the previous record holder. Heard he was the fly fishing guru when it comes to Big Sunfish catching. Hope to meet that fella one day on the Creek. smile

roflmao I look forward to it Catyakker. Cibolo is one of my favorite creeks anywhere to fish. I call it the Creek of Gold. In addition to the big redbreast and Rios I caught there, I also lost a green sunfish that likely would have broken the state record. Well done sir, keep after those records. From what I here you have the touch and some great flies for catching them.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/29/18 03:09 AM

Congrats on the record, Rick. Great job "guide", Chuck.

>E
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 03/29/18 09:46 AM

Great score. Looking forward to the report back from TP&W with your new Certification.

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/01/18 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe

roflmao I look forward to it Catyakker. Cibolo is one of my favorite creeks anywhere to fish. I call it the Creek of Gold. In addition to the big redbreast and Rios I caught there, I also lost a green sunfish that likely would have broken the state record. Well done sir, keep after those records. From what I here you have the touch and some great flies for catching them.

The Cibolo is one very good fishery! Lots of fishing pressure but it keeps producing nice fish! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/06/18 12:31 PM

Nice fish and Congratulations on your record fish. woot I have not heard of a Tadpole fly. Did you make it yourself? Also what color and was it a sinking fly? Again congratulations on your record! woot

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/06/18 07:13 PM

Laker One. A Tadpole fly is real simple Wooly Bugger without the hackle. It is an old British fly I learned about and how to tie while I was a member of the Bury St Edmonds Fly Dressing Guild in 1990. Tied in bright yellow or black on a size 14 hook is a killer when you can't make up your mind on what to start using. It is a slow sinker which can either be tied with lead or a bead head. I like to tie with lead underbody with a red thread wrap head. wink
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/07/18 09:49 PM

Laker One. A Tadpole fly is real simple Wooly Bugger without the hackle. It is an old British fly I learned about and how to tie while I was a member of the Bury St Edmonds Fly Dressing Guild in 1990. Tied in bright yellow or black on a size 14 hook is a killer when you can't make up your mind on what to start using. It is a slow sinker which can either be tied with lead or a bead head. I like to tie with lead underbody with a red thread wrap head. wink

Thanks Catyakker! Again super fish. I might just have to start tying my own flies! hmmm

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/15/18 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Thanks Catyakker! Again super fish. I might just have to start tying my own flies! hmmm

Give me a NIGHT CRAWLER any day! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/20/18 01:14 PM

Nice fish and congratulations on your Flyrod Record!

Side Note: Keep this up and you will catch Banker in about 10 years! hammer

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/21/18 02:24 AM

Thanks Gitter. Well try as I might, I don't reckon I ever get close to Banker. At 72, I don't think I will have 10 more years of fishing left in me. Them banks are getting steeper, and the rocks on the creek bed are getting slipperier every year. smile

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/27/18 09:54 AM

Good years still ahead Rick! cheers Hopefully a few more road trips also! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 04/29/18 02:00 PM

Thanks Gitter. Well try as I might, I don't reckon I ever get close to Banker. At 72, I don't think I will have 10 more years of fishing left in me. Them banks are getting steeper, and the rocks on the creek bed are getting slipperier every year. smile

Yes Sir I know the feeling! That's why there are nice flat bank spaces,docks, nice lawn chairs,shaded trees,and ice chest with cold drinks! Also it's also nice to have a great guide on hand! This will add ten more years of fishing for us retires.

Re: Flyrod Record Cibolo Creek Redbreast ! - 05/04/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done

Yes Sir I know the feeling! That's why there are nice flat bank spaces,docks, nice lawn chairs,shaded trees,and ice chest with cold drinks! Also it's also nice to have a great guide on hand! This will add ten more years of fishing for us retires.

I would take a nice quite,shaded, bank space anytime! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum