Texas Fishing Forum

Wintertime Record Fest !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 03:08 PM

Wintertime sunfish action has been GREAT this winter especially during the warm spells. Pre Front fishing has also been good! A lot of BIG FISH have been active. Myself and Richard-Cat Yakker have caught a lot of nice Carp,Bluegill,Redear,and Redbreast this month including two pending Record Sunfish.

Richard-Cat Yakker: HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on his pending record Bluegill that he caught at Blanco State Park! Richard caught the fish yesterday (Saturday). The Bluegill was 9" in length with a fat 9" girth. The official weight of the fish was .87 Lbs. This beat the past Bluegill Record of .52 pounds set back in 2010. Richard was using ultralight tackle with corn as his bait. Richard was trying to catch a few Rainbow Trout but instead caught a bunch of sunnies.

I caught a nice Hybrid Sunfish that barely made the minimal weight requirement. This was also on Saturday. The fish was 8.25" in length and a girth of 6.99". The official weight of the fish was .50 lbs. The fish is the first pending Hybrid Sunfish record for Blanco State Park! Caught a few more nice ones that morning also.

Added this one! This third fish was a nice Large Mouth Bass that I caught at a local creek. I was fishing the day before a front arrived. The fish was 18"in length and the official weight of the fish was 3.35 Lbs. The current record on that creek was 2.02 Lbs. The fish was released.

Paper work on all three fish was sent to the Texas Parks and Wildlife for their review! Catching some nice record fish during the wintertime with some good friends. It just don't get any better! fish

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 03:15 PM

bow_down CONGRATULATIONS Richard-CatYakker on your Record Bluegill! bow_down This is Richard's first water body record with more to follow!

Side Note: It should be noted that Richard beat my old Blanco State Park record Bluegill set back in 2010! bang Again SUPER Job Richard! rockon
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 08:09 PM

Mercy Sakes...now I just may have to go and buy me a bigger Cap. nuts I would never have thought catching big Sunfish could be as much fun as catching 20 lb. Carp or 12 lb. Bass. I reckon it is all in the tackle you use. Many thanks to Banker for showing me the way. bouncy
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 10:08 PM

Wow...good fish...keep em coming...
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 11:49 PM

Great report and congrats to Richard-catyaker! Nice bass. WTG clap
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/25/18 11:52 PM

Congrats richard on your new record! Chuck congrats to you also! Not only on your record but also being an outstanding angler and always willing to teach other people. Myself and Yesenia are proud to have you as a friend
Posted By: pop r

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/26/18 12:05 AM

thumb Congrats to both of you! Fine job and thanks for sharing.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/27/18 01:36 AM

Great job Chuck and Richard thumb

All the rain we've had the last couple of years is really starting to pay off. I expect there will be lots of records broken this year.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/27/18 01:52 AM

woot whip thrashin the slabs
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 02/27/18 02:21 AM

Congrats gentlemen.

>E

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/04/18 11:02 AM

Thanks for the replies! cheers Jamie: Yes Sir all of the past rainfall is going to payoff very well. I expect some very nice sunnies will be caught. hooked Leo: Richard is one SUPER good angler on both spinning and fly gear. He has already caught a BIG Carp on ultralight and I am now waiting to watch a carp fight on the fly! boxing
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/14/18 02:14 PM

Nice fish! Congratulations Catyakker and Chuck on your record fish. bow_down

Side Note: Water bodies are in good shape and the last couple of winters have not been all that cold. There should be some big fish caught this year. What do you think? hmmm
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/14/18 03:29 PM

Nice work on the records guys! I like fishing Blanco SP as well. Water drops straight down from the bank.

Since you guys are slaying the Carp these days, thought I would mention seeing some tanks swimming around in there, so bring the corn and popcorn next trip.

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/17/18 09:55 AM

Thanks Curtis and Andrew for the replies. cheers Curtis: This should be a good year for record fish. Already catching some "BIG ONES"! eeks Andrew: May just have to take a can corn to Blanco! hmmm
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/19/18 12:16 PM

I think you are right! woot

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/25/18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
I think you are right! woot

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 03/29/18 01:49 PM

Nice fish and congratulations on your records! clap Chuck: How does 2018 look for record fish? Do you think a lot records will be made? Again super fish Chuck and Catyakker!

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 04/04/18 09:58 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers Water bodies are in GREAT shape and there plenty of BIG active fish already. 2018 is going to be a GREAT YEAR! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 04/04/18 01:35 PM

Judging by the post that have already been made I think you are right!

Re: Wintertime Record Fest ! - 04/09/18 09:55 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum