Texas Fishing Forum

Ultimate Bluegill Reel?

Posted By: WillieRip

Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 10:17 AM

Thinking of importing these from China, but I want to know what other people think about it:

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 11:06 AM

I love a great casting reel. Pin point casting to me is important. I do not troll for sunfish so that reel would not be for me. Would want to know more about it's drag and drag settings. Would also like to see the reel in action reeling in fish. Interesting product to say the least. thumb

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 02:36 PM

Yeah, see that's the question I keep hear is about casting. Well when the fish start biting. I hope to get it out on the water for more testing.

The thing is I'm a multispecies fisherman, troll and drift for anything that bites the hook. I hate casting as well known, My water are like a stone stove pipe. There's nothing to cast to, lol.

It's really multispecies reel for multispeices trolling, drifting. By definition that goes against the current trend toward hyper-specialization.

For hard core casting, na, this ain't the reel. Multispecies trolling, and drifting with lightline or even drift float fishing like salmon steelhead fishermen do, it might be the ticket.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 03:10 PM

Hmmm, not real sure what to think. I don’t troll or cast much...I use spinning reels for crappie. Might make for a decent deep water bottom fisher in place of regular casting rods; however the backlash issues have to be weighed...backlash drove me to spinning equipment many years ago...I am probably not a buyer, unless I just got overly curious and just wanted to see for myself. Hope this information helps...
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 04:44 PM

Love my spinning gear. I also troll a lot for White Bass. I have some pretty good trolling reels that I have used for years. Interesting reel Willie but me personally, it would not fit my style of fishing.

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 04:47 PM

Yeah, what drove me away from spinning reels was the twist in the line. Since I had so much line out every turn of the spool put half twist in the line. with 100 feet of ling out and trolling all day that made for a miserable situation.

So the backlash is an issue, but I've found it's just a trade from the line twist. Since I don't cast, back lash isn't an issue.

What I'm hearing is this is people perceive this as a specialized trolling, deep water reel. Not surprising that's the way I use it.

I've never been satisfied with any reel, that's what drove me to handline fishing.

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 04:53 PM

Just curious. What is the cost of that reel?

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 05:38 PM

Gitter, thx for chiming in. I'm still sorting things out with the supplier, so I'd rather not give a price at this point. But let me ask you, what do you think a really like this might be worth?
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 06:30 PM

Kind of difficult to evaluate from just a video, but here are some impressions:

1) appears to be well made
2) I'm guessing some horrendous backlashes, especially with braid, are likely cause I don't see any counterweight
3) some applications I see would be white bass spring runs, crappie, 'gills. I'm not impressed with it as a big fish reel so limited applications.

It would be interesting to try one out and kick the tires.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/06/18 09:20 PM

Interesting reel Willie.

It's too bad they didn't put more drop on the
frame where you could get your fingers between the reel
and the reel seat on the rod. Like a spinning reel. It makes
me wonder how comfortable it would be holding a rod with
this reel on it.

It's really hard to "get a feel" by looking since it is an
outlier concept. If you are considering marketing this
reel and want some feedback on it I would consider
sending one of these reels out to a few of your longtime
buds on this forum and the Crappie Forum and get their hands
on feedback and then have them return the reels to you
after testing.

There is always room in the market for something that fills
a niche. If you can find a useful niche for this reel that is
superior to standard fare you can surely sell them.

How much does it weigh ? If it's light enough I might use
one on a fly rod for dipping minnows for crappie or dropping
quills on perch beds.

good fishing ! Chris
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/07/18 02:55 PM

Interesting. Love the way the reel looks. Would love to see it in action especially if you can cast it. Also would need to know if the drag is good and the drag settings are easy to operate. With all of the different types of reels on the market I would figure it would be a hard sell. The Price would be a huge factor as well! Just my two cents. 2cents

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/07/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
Gitter, thx for chiming in. I'm still sorting things out with the supplier, so I'd rather not give a price at this point. But let me ask you, what do you think a really like this might be worth?

Hard for me to say it's worth when I do not know how it handles. Just by what I saw on your video it looks well built. To me the reel looks like it would not be easy to handle for casting and as already been stated I can see some back lash problems. It is hard to put a price on something I do not need or want. Based on what I know about this reel I would not give more than $50.00 for it! That is just me. I do not know the value of it or how much you paid for it but $50.00 would be my top price if I wanted to buy one.

Side Note: Before I bought it I would need to know how it handles!
Posted By: Lepomis4Life.

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/08/18 05:49 AM

I wont go into a big rant, would mostly be repeating what has been mentioned above. For selective panfishing application this reel would not be for me. Horses for courses.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Ultimate Bluegill Reel? - 02/08/18 05:02 PM

Did I miss you mentioning the brand name?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum