Texas Fishing Forum

Texas trout

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Texas trout - 12/11/17 04:38 AM

I went to colorado last summer and ended up catching a lot of trout out of the flowing rivers there. I saw where there are trout here too in a few stocked tanks around my area. I know in the rivers you target the slack waters near the current, but what do you look for in the stocked tanks with no moving water?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Texas trout - 12/11/17 11:04 AM

Look for the fish feeding at the top of the water! The only trout I fish for in Texas are the ones stocked by Texas Parks&Wildlife during the winter. They stock them in rivers and community lakes and ponds. Fish usually die off by Mid Spring due to warmer weather. There are certain places in Texas where you can catch trout year around and those places are usually cold water rivers with springs. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Texas trout - 12/11/17 12:45 PM

I always fish the back flow of the currents while fishing the Guadalupe. As for stock ponds I have never caught a trout on them much less do I know of any stock ponds in Texas that hold trout year around. hmmm

Side note: As mentioned by Chuck "Banker" look for the fish feeding. Look for the swirls on top of the water. The only pond I have fished for trout was at Live Oak Lake two years ago. There are no signs to look for them. Pond is super small. Just cast a bait or lure and you usually got a fish. These were all stock trout.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum