Texas Fishing Forum

Who Target's Sunfish during winter?

Posted By: Laker One

Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/07/17 06:31 PM

Who target's sunfish during the winter time. Any suggestions on catching them on a flyrod.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/07/17 07:21 PM

Do they normally follow the crappie to the creeks or deeper water hmmm
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/07/17 07:45 PM

I target sunfish year around with a fly rod, several times a week, mostly on Creeks. I've found most nymphs, midges, and wooly buggers I use during the summer also work in winter. Only I go much smaller, slower, and deeper. Size 14 weighted black tadpoles (wooly buggers without the hackle) are my go to fly. I have found that winter sunfish to be quite a bit larger. Best of luck.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/08/17 10:56 AM

During the winter I still go after the sunnies. I take advantage of the warm spells. I also fish water 16 to 25 feet deep where brush piles are located. Small pieces of worm and a very slow retrieve are the plan of action. You can catch some super nice Bluegill and Redear during the winter. thumb

Side Note: A nice deep brush pile will usually hold Crappie and Bluegill! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/09/17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
I target sunfish year around with a fly rod, several times a week, mostly on Creeks. I've found most nymphs, midges, and wooly buggers I use during the summer also work in winter. Only I go much smaller, slower, and deeper. Size 14 weighted black tadpoles (wooly buggers without the hackle) are my go to fly. I have found that winter sunfish to be quite a bit larger. Best of luck.

Thanks! I am going to target the sunfish this winter on my flyrod especially during the warm spells! woot
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/10/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
I also fish water 16 to 25 feet deep where brush piles are located. Small pieces of worm

Side Note: A nice deep brush pile will usually hold Crappie and Bluegill! hooked

Just out of curiousity, do you ever catch crappie on pieces of worm out of the deep brush piles?

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/10/17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac
I also fish water 16 to 25 feet deep where brush piles are located. Small pieces of worm

Just out of curiousity, do you ever catch crappie on pieces of worm out of the deep brush piles?

I have caught Crappie with pieces of worms while fishing for Bluegill in the winter. I usually start fishing for crappie. I have two poles rigged up. One with a jig for Crappie and the other with a worm for Bluegill. The jig is the bait of choice for the Crappie while the worm is the bait of choice for the Bluegill. I also catch Bluegill on the jig. Great fish combination and some super good eating. thumb
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/10/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Who target's sunfish during the winter time. Any suggestions on catching them on a flyrod.

Guilty as charged.

On a flyrod? Yep, guilty again.

Slooow down the retrieve, painfully slow. Flies like the Bully Spider will catch them on the fall, but only if no striping.

Winter evenings after a sunny day has warmed the shallows offers some great 'gill fishing on the fly rod.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/11/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Originally Posted By: Laker One

Guilty as charged.

On a flyrod? Yep, guilty again.

Slooow down the retrieve, painfully slow. Flies like the Bully Spider will catch them on the fall, but only if no striping.

Winter evenings after a sunny day has warmed the shallows offers some great 'gill fishing on the fly rod.

Meadowlark-I'm guilty of making excuses for not fishing winter sunfish. I have never tried hard to target them with my fly rod. Always just switch to other fish, but I have a pond that is loaded with big gills so at least I know where they are going to be. Will give it a couple of legitimate efforts this time around. I'm not going out to Fork in the winter targeting gills though, too many distracted. I'll try those tips and hopefully report back.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/15/17 01:21 PM

Crappie and Striped Bass!
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/19/17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac

Banker, what jig do you like for crappie in winter?

I have caught Crappie with pieces of worms while fishing for Bluegill in the winter. I usually start fishing for crappie. I have two poles rigged up. One with a jig for Crappie and the other with a worm for Bluegill. The jig is the bait of choice for the Crappie while the worm is the bait of choice for the Bluegill. I also catch Bluegill on the jig. Great fish combination and some super good eating. thumb

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 11/21/17 03:43 AM

Eyeball: I use a lot of the Crappie Magnets,Chartreuse/Black or Chartreuse/Red. Great results! hooked I also use other types of jigs with the same color combination. thumb
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 05/12/18 07:29 PM

Thanks, Banker. Sorry for the belated thanks but i havent been on TFF since ladt yesr until just here lately.

Re: Who Target's Sunfish during winter? - 05/14/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: eyeball
Thanks, Banker. Sorry for the belated thanks but i havent been on TFF since ladt yesr until just here lately.

Awesome to see you posting again. Looking forward to reading more! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum