Texas Fishing Forum

Hey Fitz (Andrew)!

Posted By: Laker One

Hey Fitz (Andrew)! - 11/05/17 11:29 AM

What is the best sunfish that stays well in an aquarium? Also what is the minimum gallon aquarium you would use? Anyone else feel free to give a opinion. woot
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Hey Fitz (Andrew)! - 11/05/17 05:11 PM

Lots of different answers Curtis. A lot will have to do with what size fish you decide to keep. Do you want a community tank or do you want just one or two large fish? Sunfish are predators, which means they eat a lot and make lots of turds. You will have to watch your water parameters, and be ready to do water changes at least once a week, but preferably twice a week (10%-25% of volume).

I've kept a few 3-4" sunnies in as small as 32gl, but they will out grow that in less than a year. It's a tank for fish that I want keep long term but they are not big enough to be housed with adult fish.

I would stay away from the large mature fish, especially when you are new to the hobby. You won't be able to keep them in numbers and they can be difficult to acclimate. It sucks to catch and keep the "King" Sunfish in your fishing hole only to have it struggle in captivity.

I'll try to go briefly thru the list;
Longear- Hardy, beautiful, aggressive
Orangespot- If you can catch one, definitely try it in an aquarium. Amazing little fish.
Greens- Fun, hardy, grows big fast
Redear- Can be tough to acclimate, colors are more mellow
Bluegill- Nothing wrong with these guys, but don't have a big "Wow" factor
Redspot- Very hardy, excellent colors and personality, great fish
Warmouth- One of my favorites, harder to find, acts more like a Bass, great colors and attitude
Redbreast- Similar to Redear
Rio- I've had great success with these guys, start with them as small as possible and enjoy growing them.
Hybrid Sunfish- Very hardy and can have excellent patterning. Grows big fast

Thats a quick overview. Sunfish can live for years so keep that in mind when you are collecting. Have plenty of decorations and hides for your fish. My recommendation for a new aquarium would be 50gl minimum with Longear, Warmouth, and Hybrid Sunfish. 50gl is enough space to keep most Sunfish happy. Longear have brilliant colors, stay small, and are super aggressive. Warmouth are simply awesome to keep, Hybrids can be very unique. Get ready to have your fingers bitten when you feed them. Let me know what you plan to stock and I'll be able to give better instruction.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hey Fitz (Andrew)! - 11/06/17 12:04 AM

Make sure you post no fishing signs for J.Moe. He is searching for a private water body record. nuts
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Hey Fitz (Andrew)! - 11/06/17 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Make sure you post no fishing signs for J.Moe. He is searching for a private water body record. nuts

Bahahahahah whip roflmao woot too funny
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Hey Fitz (Andrew)! - 11/09/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Lots of different answers Curtis. A lot will have to do with what size fish you decide to keep. Do you want a community tank or do you want just one or two large fish? Sunfish are predators, which means they eat a lot and make lots of turds. You will have to watch your water parameters, and be ready to do water changes at least once a week, but preferably twice a week (10%-25% of volume).

I've kept a few 3-4" sunnies in as small as 32gl, but they will out grow that in less than a year. It's a tank for fish that I want keep long term but they are not big enough to be housed with adult fish.

I would stay away from the large mature fish, especially when you are new to the hobby. You won't be able to keep them in numbers and they can be difficult to acclimate. It sucks to catch and keep the "King" Sunfish in your fishing hole only to have it struggle in captivity.

I'll try to go briefly thru the list;
Longear- Hardy, beautiful, aggressive
Orangespot- If you can catch one, definitely try it in an aquarium. Amazing little fish.
Greens- Fun, hardy, grows big fast
Redear- Can be tough to acclimate, colors are more mellow
Bluegill- Nothing wrong with these guys, but don't have a big "Wow" factor
Redspot- Very hardy, excellent colors and personality, great fish
Warmouth- One of my favorites, harder to find, acts more like a Bass, great colors and attitude
Redbreast- Similar to Redear
Rio- I've had great success with these guys, start with them as small as possible and enjoy growing them.
Hybrid Sunfish- Very hardy and can have excellent patterning. Grows big fast

Thats a quick overview. Sunfish can live for years so keep that in mind when you are collecting. Have plenty of decorations and hides for your fish. My recommendation for a new aquarium would be 50gl minimum with Longear, Warmouth, and Hybrid Sunfish. 50gl is enough space to keep most Sunfish happy. Longear have brilliant colors, stay small, and are super aggressive. Warmouth are simply awesome to keep, Hybrids can be very unique. Get ready to have your fingers bitten when you feed them. Let me know what you plan to stock and I'll be able to give better instruction.

Thanks Andrew for the information. I am thinking about getting an aquarium hopefully sometime next year! Kind of getting some ideas now. You have one heck of a set up! woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum