Texas Fishing Forum

Mountain Ride

Posted By: krawlin 47

Mountain Ride - 09/11/17 08:35 PM

Just landed a small piece of property in Colorado and will be keeping a vehicle up around Durango. My place is literally a half mile from mountain roads and trails for hundreds of miles!

Really leaning towards a Jeep 4dr Rubicon....the price is steep. I do not want to have an issue on the trail with gearing, axles, gear ratio and so on that comes ready as a stock set up on the Rubicon.

Am I wrong to only consider the Rubicon over the Wrangler or could I save myslelf money and still have a reasonable off road vehicle with the Wrangler? I don't picture myself getting too extreme but this baby will be off road 1/2 the time.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/12/17 01:03 AM

Rubicon for offroading. The beefed up axles are worth every penny. Especially if you go with a lift and bigger tires later on.

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/12/17 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Rubicon for offroading. The beefed up axles are worth every penny. Especially if you go with a lift and bigger tires later on.

That's kinda what I was thinking for sure...I already fixed up a jeep years ago and spent a fortune building something similar to the rubicon....any of you guys drive one of these?

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/12/17 03:16 PM

No. BIL owns one. Both my ex's were X's. If I buy another, it'll be a Rubicon for sure. My alley has some nasty potholes. wink
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/12/17 09:39 PM

You might look in to side by side UTVs. Might end up being the most practical and most reasonable option.

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/12/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
No. BIL owns one. Both my ex's were X's. If I buy another, it'll be a Rubicon for sure. My alley has some nasty potholes. wink

That is awesome to know.

Mckinneycrappiecatcher - I will have to have a couple of those as well - no doubt! I need a people getter too as this will be up in Colorado - will need to take a ride into town Durango occasionally with the vehicle as well. The YXZ1000R SS is picked already for the purpose of pure fun!

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/13/17 12:32 PM

OK, Mr. Serious. That was just tongue in cheek.

Used to be part of a group of Jeep owners and stuff breaks frequently. That is why I recommend the Rubicon. A UTV can take more of a beating but trailering can be a pain. For serious offroading, it would be the smart move if you don't want to walk home. Colorado has a ton of trails friendly to either though. Miles of mild offroading and good scenery. Should be fun.

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/13/17 10:08 PM

LOL...if you only knew me.

I was in a jeep group years back and spent a small fortune at Collin Bros fixing up/restoring a 85 CJ-7 - I do understand the benefit of sturdy no doubt - Unfortunately I built a locked up Dana 44 front and rear jeep that I never was able to get away and use. Sold it and wish like heck I still had it! Story of my life.

My new place is at the north end of Lake Vallecito in Colorado and literally 1/2 mile from a so many trails and so much off road fun I wont know where to begin! Cant wait!

UTV's will come next year...god a buddy who is racing them locally and having a blast. I can't wait to climb into one of those as well!

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/13/17 11:32 PM

Stayed at Vallecito a couple years ago. Great area for Jeeping. You're a lucky man. Saw some huge trout cone out of that lake, too!

Re: Mountain Ride - 09/14/17 01:24 PM

I can not friggin wait! We close in a week. So much fishing, hiking, jeeping, and peace!!!! The Pine is badazz there as well!

It was insane before the Missionary Ridge fire in 01 but it is making a heck of a comeback.

thumb I am a lucky and blessed man for sure!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum