Texas Fishing Forum

Gas vs Diesel

Posted By: whnigt

Gas vs Diesel - 08/14/17 10:38 PM

I pull a 35ft travel trailer bumper to bumper with a 1500 GMC pickup. Looking to get a 2500 GMC yes I'm set on GMC so please don't make this a bashing post. Thank you. I also pull a ZX 225 with same truck. No problems with that. Just don' like the 3.42 rear end. The travel trailer maybe 10 times a year. My question is should I get a 6.6 diesel or 6.0 gas. I want a 3.73 rear end. My real question is I guess is the diesel really worth the extra money. Thanks for the advise in advance.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 12:19 AM

With a 35' trailer I'd be going diesel all the way.
Posted By: gander

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 12:47 AM

With a 35 footer I would go diesel for sure...the improved towing experience might lead to more and longer trips each year....
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 12:52 AM

Diesel
Posted By: sbump26

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 01:20 AM

I went diesel and haven't looked back. So far so good.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 02:21 AM

Diesel, The new duramax is like 450hp and 900lb torque. be careful tho, you probaly couldn't ever go back to a gasser again after one trip with that trailer..
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 03:37 AM

Diesel
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 12:21 PM

Put a pencil to it. How much gas can you buy with the cost difference between the diesel and gas engine. You will get about 6 to 8 mpg better with the diesel. I have both, the 6.0 diesel and 6.2 gas. The 6.2 is cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, quick and pulls good but it won't pull as good as a diesel. I pull a 13k pound trailer with my gas truck and it does fine until I get into the mountains and then I wish I had my diesel under me. Whether it's economics, pulling power or just preference, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 12:42 PM

Go With Duramax-Alison .
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 01:03 PM

Would a diesel do it? Yes

Is a diesel the most financially feasible answer? Probably a big no.

Will a 3/4 ton gas do it? Of course your 1/2 ton gas already does it.

Have you considered a 1500 6.2? It has more umph than the 3/4 ton 6.0 and comes with an 8 speed or used to, not sure if they are using the new 10 speed yet or not.

Have an uncle with a chevy 6.0 gas he pulls a 34-foot tongue pull with 3 slides no problems.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 01:06 PM

I'm not anti diesel, but if you don't have the itch to own one and don't pull big/heavy often they are not the best choice.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 01:53 PM

If he's pulling a 35' TT about 10 times a year, then the engine with 445 hp and 910 ft-lbs of torque is going to get my vote ahead of the 360/380 6.0L GM motor. If he's pulling it once or twice a year, sure. Or if it's always short trips, then gas is fine. But if you're taking trips of any length about once a month, you'll be glad you got the diesel. 910 ft-lbs of torque is no joke compared to the 380 that the gas motor has. Either will certainly handle it, but the diesel is the better tool for the job.

I wouldn't put a 35' TT behind any half ton ten times a year. The GM 6.2L with max trailering package is probably the most well-equipped half ton tow machine out there, but it's still under-sized for a 35' TT ten times a year if the trips are any length at all.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 02:02 PM

Very true, if it is going to be a cross country tow vehicle I would probably lean to a diesel.

I wouldn't hesitate to pull it with a properly set up 6.2 and out of the mountains a 6.0 will walk and talk with it.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 02:25 PM

My advice...buy as much truck as you can afford.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
My advice...buy as much truck as you can afford.

Regretting the ecoboost?

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 02:39 PM

No, the engine is great. Just got back from NM a week ago and that little engine is impressive, with or without a load. But I do miss the F250 chassis sometimes when the winds get up....and maybe the brakes. It just felt more stable.

Trying to fight the fever long enough to pay this one off and give to my son next year.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/15/17 03:45 PM

That's what I figured, it is a lot of power out of that little motor, problem is its pushing the capability of the rest of the truck. I'm sure it does fine, just like you said not as confidently as a 3/4 ton would.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/17/17 03:14 PM

I pull a 31 foot 5th wheel with the 6.2 with tow package and 8 speed with no problems. The 6.2 has a lot more HP the the 6.0 and get's a lot better gas mileage. That said I've never had a diesel so I have nothing to compare it too, Although if you get a diesel you have to leave it running no matter were you stop so you can act like a big rig driver and annoy everyone around you with the noise. L.O.L.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/18/17 01:53 AM

As some have mentioned, stopping and suspension are just as important as towing.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/19/17 02:17 AM

Everything I have seen has had either a 6.0 or 6.6 motors. Where do you find the 6.2 gas motors. Thnaks
Posted By: CADD

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/19/17 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Diesel

Ditto, with something as big as a 35' TT

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/20/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: whnigt
Everything I have seen has had either a 6.0 or 6.6 motors. Where do you find the 6.2 gas motors. Thnaks
Half ton
Posted By: Larry M

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/22/17 02:24 AM

Suspension sway/roll plus braking. A half ton towing a larger fiver is just that a half ton maxed out.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 08/27/17 11:48 PM

Actually the GMC 2500 diesel pickup truck out performed the ford and dodge in all three categories including pay load pulling, clock time and stopping per Motor Trend testing October 2017 issue.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/14/17 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
With a 35' trailer I'd be going diesel all the way.

What he said.
Posted By: donothin

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/15/17 12:51 PM

Not sure if the 8 sp is still being used with the 6.2 or not. I have it in a 1500 and love the truck except the transmission is giving me a problem. When I google the problem, it seems that it is a chronic problem with the 8 speed. Check it out.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/20/17 12:46 AM

Though question because these new gas engines are powerful. I purchased my duramax in 05 and it was a good decision for me. This truck has been my daily driver and its still going strong. I've been eyeballing those GMC 6.2s because I do not like all the emissions junk on the new diesel trks but I'm too cheap to make the next move. Good Luck!!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/20/17 01:30 AM

Everyone's screaming diesel when they read 35' travel trailer but I think they all glossed over the fact that the op said its a bumper pull not a 5th wheel. Most bumper pull trailers that size only weigh about 8-10k. Yeah its pushing the limits for a 1/2 ton truck but a gasser 3/4t will pull it without issue.
I've driven 1/2t trucks all my life and about 5 years ago I thought I'd change it up and bought a F250 Platinum diesel. Yes its a beast and could probable rip the lid off of hell with a big enough chain but if you don't need a diesel they are expensive to operate. Unloaded the fuel mileage is comparable to it's gas counter part but diesel cost more then gas. Oil changes cost double due to it holding twice the oil and that massive filter, DEF fluid is another little expense everyone overlooks. Average use is 5 gallons every 6-7k miles. Fuel filters need to be changed every 25k or so and ain't cheap. Lastly the diesel option over gas is another 7k or so.
After owning mine for 5 years about the only advantage I see for the diesel is resale value.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/20/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111

After owning mine for 5 years about the only advantage I see for the diesel is resale value.

Which is negated because they cost significantly more to buy.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/21/17 12:30 AM

The only advantage is motor life and the ablility to pull large machines on trailers. (like backhoes, etc.)
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/23/17 09:05 PM

Emissions ,def fluid and just cost of maintenance would steer me away. To many costly problems with the emissions on diesel . They are made for towing large loads but the fact is 3/4 gas will tow any travel trailer it's what ever you desire. You gotta pay for it. popcorn
J D
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/28/17 11:01 PM

Diesel my dude.. You'll never own another gasser
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 11:58 AM

Half ton, diesel gets better mileage.

Three quarter ton, diesel gets better mileage.

If you tow with less power you can do it with a gasser but if you match power levels by getting a high output gasser the diesel equivalent is better cost wise.
Most people pulling 7000 pound trailers can get away with a half ton or a three quarter with a smallish engine. Above that it starts going towards using a diesel.

Since this is about gas versus diesel, consider cars too. My daughter started driving using her mothers' hand me down 2003 Jetta TDI. It got 45 mpg around town and over 50 mpg on the highway. When she found out her then job required a larger vehicle she bought her first car on her own, a 2011 Jetta Sportswagen TDI. It is just slightly less fuel efficient. That one is in the VW buyback and the amount she is getting now with 160k miles on it is too good to pass up so she turning it in on the 13th. Friday the thirteenth. What car is she looking at now? So far several Jetta TDI's.

One benefit rarely mentioned when talking gas versus diesel. How often you visit the gas station.
My pull anything diesel goes to the gas station on the average at 550 miles. On the highway at 600 miles or more. A gasser, even one with a huge gas tank like mine will only go 70% of that. Many more stops required over its life.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 01:34 PM

Ive been having this discussion with my dad, he is looking for a new truck and jumped straight to 3/4 ton diesels and my first thought was why? Biggest thing he tows is about 6,000 lbs, something easily within the wheel house of every 1/2 ton production truck these days when properly equipped.

I average a hair over 600 miles a tank commuting in my ecodiesel. If I'm on the hwy at reasonable speeds I will get about 700 and that is filling up when the DTE-distance to empty reads 100 miles.

Many gas fords with the large fuel tank option will make 600 or so miles on a tank.

I sure wish diesels were like they used to be pre 2007 and it would be a for sure no brainer and they would cost about $5k less to build without all the emissions bs to boot.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 02:04 PM

Well my 6.7L powerstroke gets 13.5mpg no matter wether I'm on the highway or city driving, so they don't always get better mileage.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Well my 6.7L powerstroke gets 13.5mpg no matter wether I'm on the highway or city driving, so they don't always get better mileage.

With a trailer?

If not somebody is siphoning fuel out of your tank, your drag race at every stop sign, or you idle the truck all day long or you never get on the hwy. The only person I know that gets that miserable of fuel mileage out of a 6.7 has a 2 mile commute. The truck never even remotely gets warmed up.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

With a trailer?

If not somebody is siphoning fuel out of your tank, your drag race at every stop sign, or you idle the truck all day long or you never get on the hwy. The only person I know that gets that miserable of fuel mileage out of a 6.7 has a 2 mile commute. The truck never even remotely gets warmed up.

I fall into the drag race category or Nascar category, my 6.7 liter powerstoke gets 14. Buddy of mine with the same truck who I would classify in the grandpa category gets 18.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 03:10 PM

With a trailer?

Dude, it's bad! When I bought it the service guy said I should get 17 pretty consistent. I've never gotten better than 15.5 and now it's stuck at 13.5. I almost wonder if my regen is running more than it's supposed to. I've been working 100 miles from my house, all interstate and I figured it would get better; but it's still at 13.5. I almost wish it would have some kind of issue, so I'd have a reason to get rid of it. 60k miles and it's never seen the shop for anything other than oil changes, air filters & fuel filters.

I've been looking at 1/2 tons to drive for when I don't need this truck, then I'll have 2 insurance pymts so no savings after insurance.

And yes, pulling my 14' cargo trailer it gets the same. It's like the Groundhog Day movie every time I fill up. Sometimes I wonder if 4wd is locked in, dealership supposedly checked it. Then I question sticking brakes, they say "no".

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 03:36 PM

I am on an ecodiesel forum as well. There were some people who reported not being able to get better than 20 mpg or so and the norm for these is 25+ on the hwy. I know one or two of them ended up having the injectors replaced under warranty and when they were replaced his normal 20 mpg went to about 27. But there was no lights codes or anything until one of the injectors completely tanked.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 03:40 PM

I also have a ranch hand bumper on it, so I'm sure that affects aerodynamics some. Injector could be a possible problem, if it's spraying too much...that would make sense!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 08:38 PM

I also have a ranch hand bumper on it, so I'm sure that affects aerodynamics some. Injector could be a possible problem, if it's spraying too much...that would make sense!

When I put a front replacement on my F350 6.7 it dropped the fuel milage 2.2 mpg. I had a 2007 2500 Chev with a gasser that did the same.

I have had three Ford 6.7 diesels, and once you get past 65-70 mph, the mileage drops off fast. My company ride is a '17 F250 6.7 and I normally drive 75-80 and 16.0-16.5 is what it gets, same as the 2012 I had before it. My personal 2013 F350 with front replacement and 35-12.50 tires and gets 13.5. Drive the f 250 at 65-70 mph, and 17-18 is normal. The whole fuel mileage thing does not concern me.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

The whole fuel mileage thing does not concern me.

You have more money than I do, so it concerns me a lot.

I guess the bumper is a big part of my problem.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

The whole fuel mileage thing does not concern me.

You have more money than I do, so it concerns me a lot.

I guess the bumper is a big part of my problem.

The money deal, no way for either of us to know that lol. I put about 7000 miles a year on my personal vehicle, so the 4 mpg difference is not really noticed. Now, I do complain about the amount of fuel the Yamaha SHO drinks!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 09/29/17 11:40 PM

I'll throw my .02 cents in on the fuel mileage. TCK73 is pretty much spot on with describing the 6.7 Powerstroke. I drive a '13 Platinum F250, when it was brand new I got around 18ish doing 75mph and 14 or so around town. Within the first 2 weeks of owning it I added a leveling kit, wheels and tires. I run 325/60-20's which fall halfway between 35/12.5's and 37/13.5's. Ever since then I only get 15-16mpg running 75, 13 around town and 10-11 towing my boat (about 4k pounds).
For those who say once you get a diesel you'll never go back, NOT true. I'm actually shopping for a new truck and am going back to a 1/2 ton. Ford's 3.5EB will tow my boat just fine and actually get better MPG's while doing it. I also put about 15-18k a year on my truck and doing the math it's save about $100 a month in fuel as well.
Posted By: dustman_stx

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 10/02/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
I'll throw my .02 cents in on the fuel mileage. TCK73 is pretty much spot on with describing the 6.7 Powerstroke. I drive a '13 Platinum F250, when it was brand new I got around 18ish doing 75mph and 14 or so around town. Within the first 2 weeks of owning it I added a leveling kit, wheels and tires. I run 325/60-20's which fall halfway between 35/12.5's and 37/13.5's. Ever since then I only get 15-16mpg running 75, 13 around town and 10-11 towing my boat (about 4k pounds).
For those who say once you get a diesel you'll never go back, NOT true. I'm actually shopping for a new truck and am going back to a 1/2 ton. Ford's 3.5EB will tow my boat just fine and actually get better MPG's while doing it. I also put about 15-18k a year on my truck and doing the math it's save about $100 a month in fuel as well.

Same story here. Going from 2015 6.7PSD 4x4 SCrew to a 2018 F150 EB 4x4 SCrew. I had a 2013 F150 SCrew EB 4x4 that, after 30K miles was averaging almost exactly the same as the current 2015 PSD after 34K. Same mix of highway, city and towing an ~9400 lb travel trailer. I really miss my F150. Liked almost everything about it better. Sure, the 6.7 pulls better, but the EB had plenty of power and never left me wishing I had more under the hood.
Posted By: CWCW

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 10/17/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: whnigt
I pull a 35ft travel trailer bumper to bumper with a 1500 GMC pickup. Looking to get a 2500 GMC yes I'm set on GMC so please don't make this a bashing post. Thank you. I also pull a ZX 225 with same truck. No problems with that. Just don' like the 3.42 rear end. The travel trailer maybe 10 times a year. My question is should I get a 6.6 diesel or 6.0 gas. I want a 3.73 rear end. My real question is I guess is the diesel really worth the extra money. Thanks for the advise in advance.

"Is the diesel really worth the extra money?" That would be a subjective question which you will get subjective answers for. "Are Nike Airmax really worth the extra money?" I think so, they last longer than JC Penny specials and feel/look better on my feet. How often you gonna pull the 35fter and where you gonna pull it? Pull it 6-7 times on long trips every 6 months or pull it up altitude= get the diesel. Pull it 6-7 times a year and not in crazy altitudes = get the gas. That's my opinion.

Some guys buy diesel trucks to pull a 5x8 utility trailer to carry their lawnmower across town to mow their mother in laws yard and some buy them for the cool factor and don't own a trailer.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 10/26/17 09:19 PM

I went diesel even though the heaviest I tow is about 5,000 pounds. I've looked into a 5 er though so I guess I'm getting ready for that. But right now I usually just tow my bass boat and I went diesel and I don't know how I'll ever go back to gas. If ever. Although I went used. Bought me a 5.9 Cummins. I'm in love. Fuel mileage is great. Power is great. Runs like a top. Now at 205,000 miles and I think it's got at least that or more left in it. Never understood all these "cummins heck yeah" guys but all I have to say now is yeeyee! banana
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 10/27/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: R.J.E.
I pull a 31 foot 5th wheel with the 6.2 with tow package and 8 speed with no problems. The 6.2 has a lot more HP the the 6.0 and get's a lot better gas mileage. That said I've never had a diesel so I have nothing to compare it too, Although if you get a diesel you have to leave it running no matter were you stop so you can act like a big rig driver and annoy everyone around you with the noise. L.O.L.

This is no longer true of diesels. You don't want to leave them idling unless you've been working it hard while heavily loaded. The reason people used to do this is because at substantial exhaust gas temperatures oil can be burned onto the turbo bearings, eventually leading to a locked turbo. So they let their EG temps cool down so that the turbo cooled down, not allowing the oil to burn. This issue has been practically eradicated due to synthetic oils with higher heat capacities and more efficient systems. It doesn't take a minute for these new diesels to cool down below dangerous EG temps. Idling is actually detrimental to new diesels because of the EGR systems. My GMC manual actually says "It is better not to park with the engine running". It would, of course need to idle longer if it has been working under an extremely heavy load, but most people don't use them that way.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 10/27/17 02:29 PM

I always heard people let them idle for 30 minutes while they ran in to HEB because it burned more fuel turning it off and starting it than it did letting it idle... stupidest thing I ever heard.

Let it idle for a bit if you worked it hard is a good idea, with modern components and oils its not near as big a deal. The turbo on my ram is a water cooled turbo also, they have come a long way.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/01/17 08:04 PM

Well...going to look at a 2017 F350 gasser tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. For the price, I can't find a diesel anywhere close. And unfortunately, I have to keep it cheap.

Daughter wrecked her 3rd car in a little over a year (not her fault this time). Pregnant. I don't want my grandkid in a compact, so I'm selling her my F150 at about what I owe. Bye bye equity. And my son turns 15 this month, so I'll have another Jeep payment in one year. Swear I could buy a Bugatti for what these kids are costing me.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/02/17 02:43 PM

I would never put myself in the poor house buying my kids cars. My parents helped us buy our vehicles we each had to put in $1,000 and ended up buying a vehicle in the 3-4000 range that were very reliable for many years and many miles.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/02/17 03:35 PM

Not quite down to beans and cornbread yet. I don't have to have all the bells and whistles. As long as my son does well in school and is active in sports and stays out of trouble, I'll foot the bill. I want to spoil this one. He's a good kid that makes me very proud.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/02/17 05:22 PM

Well...going to look at a 2017 F350 gasser tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. For the price, I can't find a diesel anywhere close. And unfortunately, I have to keep it cheap.

Daughter wrecked her 3rd car in a little over a year (not her fault this time). Pregnant. I don't want my grandkid in a compact, so I'm selling her my F150 at about what I owe. Bye bye equity. And my son turns 15 this month, so I'll have another Jeep payment in one year. Swear I could buy a Bugatti for what these kids are costing me.

I'll say this and you're welcome to ignore it, but folks rarely go backwards in vehicle quality. Starting young kids off with fairly nice vehicles is setting them up to buy expensive vehicles at a young age when they probably have school debt, no savings, etc.

I see it with all the young kids we have coming to work for us now. They leave college with a $25k car that their parents bought them and then go spend $40k as soon as they get a full time job and will spend the rest of their lives in debt. A big problem in today's world is expectations and what we think we "deserve". Let the kid work his own way up rather than being a head start that's really a heavy anchor.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/02/17 05:38 PM

I feel compelled to help him maximize his white male privilege. wink

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 12:30 PM

2017 F350XL long bed crew cab 4x4, 6.2L, power locks/windows, tilt/cruise, CD/bluetooth stereo, 6-speed auto, tinted windows, bedliner, integrated brake controller...$37k OTD. Now some people may not like vinyl seats and rubber floorboards but with 3 dogs and a kid that constantly has muddy cleats...sounds pretty nice to me.

Now bracing myself for 12mpg on a good day.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 01:49 PM

Sounds like a nice ride to me. Ive spent a little time in a few 6.2's that got the carp worked out of them. They were good trucks.

What rear end are you looking at? 3.73 or 4.3?

I believe trucks were meant to have rubber floors.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 02:16 PM

3.73. Wish is was a 4.3. I'd eventually like to put bigger tires on it.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 03:58 PM

Only reason I didn't sign yesterday is Ford's system was down. It was a transfer from a sister store and the other lot just sold it out from under me before transfer was completed. Said he'd order one but will take a minimum of 8 weeks??? bang

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 04:32 PM

Ugh! They just offered me a near identical F250 for $38,100 OTD. The other was around $37,800. I haven't been able to locate a better deal.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:16 PM

Ugh! They just offered me a near identical F250 for $38,100 OTD. The other was around $37,800. I haven't been able to locate a better deal.

Tell em make it 37,8 and deal or you will pay 38,1 for the 250 with 4.3 gears grin

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I'll say this and you're welcome to ignore it, but folks rarely go backwards in vehicle quality. Starting young kids off with fairly nice vehicles is setting them up to buy expensive vehicles at a young age when they probably have school debt, no savings, etc.

I see it with all the young kids we have coming to work for us now. They leave college with a $25k car that their parents bought them and then go spend $40k as soon as they get a full time job and will spend the rest of their lives in debt. A big problem in today's world is expectations and what we think we "deserve". Let the kid work his own way up rather than being a head start that's really a heavy anchor.

There is another way of thinking about it. I got a cash car when I started driving, a truck worth about $4,000 it was good and reliable for me, but when I started working it was at the end of its usable life for the most part and was about to need a lot of work with between 250 and 300k miles on it. I bought a 40k vehicle right away and it wasn't a burden. On the other hand many of my friends, whose parents had given them much newer cars had reliable relatively low mileage cars to drive for 5 or 6 years of work starting off.

People are going to make the money choices they are going to make.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:36 PM

Tell em make it 37,8 and deal or you will pay 38,1 for the 250 with 4.3 gears grin

It's 3.73 too. :\

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

There is another way of thinking about it. I got a cash car when I started driving, a truck worth about $4,000 it was good and reliable for me, but when I started working it was at the end of its usable life for the most part and was about to need a lot of work with between 250 and 300k miles on it. I bought a 40k vehicle right away and it wasn't a burden. On the other hand many of my friends, whose parents had given them much newer cars had reliable relatively low mileage cars to drive for 5 or 6 years of work starting off.

People are going to make the money choices they are going to make.

It's a 70 mile round trip to my son's high school from my house (90 miles from my work). I probably won't buy new but we do need something fairly reliable.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:49 PM

4 cylinder car!

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/03/17 05:56 PM

With all the trucks running around here, I'm tempted to buy another super duty.

I'll probably be the one in the $4,000 4-banger while he drives my truck. blush

Posted By: diesel_Power_House

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/05/17 01:48 PM

I will tell you, Diesel is the way to go. Buy an older diesel though. Like nothing newer than 07. The reason is the emissions/aftertreatment systems kill fuel mileage, power, and cost a TON to repair when they go out. And trust me, they will go out. Before I got hurt, I made an absolute killing repairing these systems or deleting these systems. A turbo diesel will get 30% better fuel economy than a similar size gas engine.

If your dead set on GMC, if your not wanting a 4x4, look at something with the LBZ (05-07 I believe).
If your wanting a 4x4, I have to tell you to get an 08. Just look up pump rub and you will see why I made the exception to my own advice on year. Trust me, I’m a victim of pump rub X2.
If you get an 08 or newer, as soon as you can, completely delete the DPF, DEF/SCR systems. 4” straight pipe exhaust, and a delete tune. Just don’t get rid of the EGR. It actually cools the cylinder. And under aggressive throttle inputs, the EGR valve closes from the factory.

In any of these, I highly recommend installing a lift pump. Because your injection pump is having to suck fuel out of the tank all the way to the engine, then pressurize the fuel and send it to the injectors; adding a lift pump pushes the fuel to the injection pump, extending the life of the injection pump.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/06/17 03:38 AM

Goodness man, don’t buy a bigger rear end than 3.73! You’ll be looking at 8mpg.

When you buy the 6.2 can you post back with fuel mileage numbers. My diesel cost is getting old and starting to aggitate me.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/06/17 01:32 PM

Now if a salesman gives you a number and you ask, "Does that number include everything?" AND he says "yes"! In the spirit of Darren Hambrick, what do 'everything' mean?

I got down there to sign and the price turned into $40K. hammer

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/06/17 02:36 PM

Gotta love the games of buying a new vehicle lol, hope you get what your looking for.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/07/17 04:17 PM

When you buy the 6.2 can you post back with fuel mileage numbers. My diesel cost is getting old and starting to aggitate me.

Has 90 miles on it (less than 40 are mine) but lot's of stop and start. I reset and it's sitting on 12.5mpg. My first tank with the f150 was 14 and peaked over 17 before I put oversize tires on, so I'm hopeful it'll improve as the engine breaks in. I'd be giddy if I can average 14-15mpg. I'll update as I go.

And congrats to Ford. It's only 3 feet longer than my F150 but feels 10'. Not sure how they did that? I need 4 parking spots. blush

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/07/17 04:43 PM

LOL after driving a compact car for 2 years it was a wake up call moving back to a full size crew cab pickup!

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/08/17 01:41 AM

My F350 is the hardest vehicle to drive and park that I’ve ever had. Takes 2 football fields to turn the thing around, but so far 66k on the odometer and it’s never seen any shop time other than maintenance. I have to back into 99% of the parking spots that I park in.

If you get 14-15, I’ll be selling my diesel and going to a gasser!

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/08/17 03:08 AM

Still mid 12's. No change yet.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/11/17 09:26 PM

Passed 13 mpg. Getting better economy than my 2006 6.0l.....TUNED.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 01:59 AM

Getting 15 from my 2013 F250 104,000 miles. Can get better if I keep my foot out of it. Mix highway and city. Long bed crew cab. Hard to park for sure.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 03:18 PM

I’m getting 16-18 out of my 05 suburban Z71 with a 5.3 gasser
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 06:08 PM

I'm getting 19 average with my 2010 6.7L Cummins. 23 mpg at 70 MPH.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 07:45 PM

But, I plan on swapping in an LBZ duramax and Allison 1000 (6speed) combo, NP263HD transfer case, and the rest of the 3/4 ton running gear with a Dana 60 straight axle steer axle under my suburban. That should net me a 3-5 more MPG gain.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I'm getting 19 average with my 2010 6.7L Cummins. 23 mpg at 70 MPH.

I have a little seat time with a 6.7l 4x4 crew. Never saw those numbers.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/12/17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: diesel_Power_House
I’m getting 16-18 out of my 05 suburban Z71 with a 5.3 gasser

Averaged 15 on a good tank in my 2010 suburban 4x4. Not talking hwy mpgs.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/18/17 12:43 AM

Little disappointed towing with the f250. The Ecoboost is just hard to beat. It digs deep and lugs things out. The 6.2l is quick to downshift and spends WAY too much time in 3rd at 4k rpms. It does tow straight. Feels solid and the brakes are first rate. Just feels underpowered for a 10k trailer
Posted By: Cast

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/18/17 01:39 AM

I just got to my destination after towing a heavy trailer down I45 with my F250 Superduty diesel (6.7 bypassed and tuned). I couldn’t maintain my usual high speed required on 45 but I did manage to cruise at 80 and it did it well. My average mpg dropped from 17.5 to 17.3.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/19/17 01:49 AM

Towing heavy, 80 mph, 17mpg.....sure.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/19/17 03:17 AM

Towing heavy, 80 mph, 17mpg.....sure.

Hey! I’m just telling you what it said. It’s a long term average. I still burned the whole way on a single tank.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/26/17 05:52 PM

Just caught you didn't reset.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/27/17 03:31 PM

Did you get the 3.73 gears? That is a common complaint with them, most I talk to say if your going to tow with it you want the 4:30'S.

I would be ok with it grabbing for gears, at least its trying to get to an rpm it can do what your asking of it at. My biggest complaint with my last few GM gas trucks was they just didn't want to downshift, always tried lugging itself till it just couldn't.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/27/17 07:54 PM

Yes, 3.73. I'm still learning a few things. If I lock out 5th, it's a lot less likely to drop to 3rd. Otherwise it seems to bypass 4th. And towing in 4th or 5th isn't too bad but 3rd.... the engine is friggen loud!

Averaged around 7 mpgs over 360 miles. Not much different economy. Love love love having brakes.

Re: Gas vs Diesel - 11/28/17 03:00 PM

I always hated that with my GM 5.3 if you gave it a lot of pedal it would drop straight from 6th to 3rd, nice if your were wanting all it had, but an annoyance most of the time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum