Texas Fishing Forum

American Made?

Posted By: Samsonsworld

American Made? - 06/26/17 06:12 PM

Is your truck/car American made? Does it matter to you?

Hmmm....and I wonder where the Ram 2500/3500 is made? Evidently, not in the US.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: American Made? - 06/26/17 08:28 PM

If you drive a somewhat modern vehicle in America chances are pretty high it is not American Made. It may be American assembled or partially American assembled though.

I means nothing to me. I drive a Ram 1500 and I believe it is largely built/assembled in Mexico.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: American Made? - 06/26/17 08:32 PM

Some are only assembled in the USA. All are made with foreign made parts. Sad because I remember the days of US manufacturing. In the town I grew up in everybody wanted a job at a local factory. It was good jobs and pay. It has moved to Brazil and now is just a shipping center for its product. Only employs a couple dozen people and used to be around 500.

But hey we all enjoy cheap things...

Re: American Made? - 06/26/17 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
But hey we all enjoy cheap things...

Competition and capitalism go hand and hand.

Not going to call them junk, but I do not believe the cars that use to be all made in America etc. were better made vehicles either.
Posted By: BigRM

Re: American Made? - 06/27/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Is your truck/car American made? Does it matter to you?

Hmmm....and I wonder where the Ram 2500/3500 is made? Evidently, not in the US.

Here you go! Ram Truck

Re: American Made? - 06/27/17 12:00 PM

Guess that explains why the Ram costs less....or should I say cuesta menos? grin

Re: American Made? - 06/27/17 12:02 PM

Most American:

Jeep Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited (Toledo, Ohio)
Jeep Cherokee (Toledo, Ohio and Belvidere, Ill.)
Ford Taurus (Chicago)
Honda Ridgeline (Lincoln, Ala.)
Acura RDX (East Liberty, Ohio)
Ford F-150 (Dearborn, Mich., and Claycomo, Mo.)
Ford Expedition (Louisville, Ky.)
GMC Acadia (Spring Hill, Tenn.)
Honda Odyssey (Lincoln, Ala.)
Honda Pilot (Lincoln, Ala.)

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-carscom-2017-american-made-index-1420695680673/
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: American Made? - 06/27/17 07:32 PM

My Explorer was built in Kentucky
Posted By: patriot07

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 12:45 PM

My Ram was assembled in Warren, Michigan, as I believe almost all American Ram 1500 models are. Made with about the same number of foreign components as other brands. Mine has been totally trouble-free in 16,000 miles. Can't say that for my 2013 Nissan Altima (also assembled in USA, with only a couple small issues), or my 2009 Honda CR-V (assembled in Mexico, tons of issues).

I do not know where 2500/3500 Ram models are assembled.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 12:57 PM

I really don't know, nor do I care, but the page linked above was last updated in 2017 and it indicates the 1500 ram regular and crew cabs are made in the same plant in mexico that the 3/4 and 1-tons are. Maybe they have more than one plant?

I know crawling around under around my truck I have seen some hecho in mexico stickers.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 01:16 PM

My Tundra was built in Texas banana

My old F250 was built in Canada.

Pretty sure my F450 was built in Mexico.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbass1
My Explorer was built in Kentucky

My F150, too.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 01:39 PM

My door sticker says "assembled in USA". I'm sure there are plenty of Mexican-made components.

Unions made US labor completely uncompetitive with the rest of the world. It also didn't help that US labor quality continually decreased as price increased.

Just found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Trucks

Look at the "Production" section. Seems like as long as you don't have a Laramie or a regular cab, it's definitely assembled in Michigan.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
My door sticker says "assembled in USA". I'm sure there are plenty of Mexican-made components.

Unions made US labor completely uncompetitive with the rest of the world. It also didn't help that US labor quality continually decreased as price increased.

Just found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Trucks

Look at the "Production" section. Seems like as long as you don't have a Laramie or a regular cab, it's definitely assembled in Michigan.

Ha! good find

Now I can claim my truck is as American made as Samsonsworld's cheers

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 02:35 PM

Yeah, but mine made the 'most American' list. wink

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 03:19 PM

Oooooooohhhhh aaaaaahhhhhh bow_down roflmao

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 04:03 PM

LOL! I knew you'd be impressed.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 04:23 PM

I do think Ram uses a few more foreign components than other brands (something like 65% foreign components instead of 55%-60% IIRC).

I think all of the new trucks are pretty good. They're a far cry from the 90s Fords or early 2000s Dodges.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 04:26 PM

Amen to that.

Re: American Made? - 06/28/17 07:44 PM

Man I wish I could go back to '90's vehicles!

Granted my 94 chevy had crank windows, manual locks and a tape deck, but that truck was trouble free for the most part. Nothing broke on that truck that I couldn't fix.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: American Made? - 06/29/17 02:12 AM

My Jeep Wrangler (2012) may have been the "most American" made vehicle, but the Mexican made 3.6 (all three of them in 50k miles) that powered it sure was a piece of [censored]. Worst quality vehicle I have ever owned.

Re: American Made? - 06/29/17 12:35 PM

Can't argue. Not a fan, myself. Ford claims it's bring back the Bronco for 2020. I'd love to see it.

Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: American Made? - 07/01/17 04:37 AM

I used to buy Fords . Three new ones and not a single one made it 100K miles without having serious major issues( all through 90's ) . Switched to Toyota , still have both , one has 220K and the other 161K .
I work for tech companies that supply to all the various car manufacturer's . The two toughest companies to get a " part " qualified are Honda and Toyota . The easiest are the Korean car companies and Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat is also down at the bottom .
Start with good parts , have good designs and those are the cars that last longer . None of them are perfect .
Also , all the American car companies have been killed by old Union agreements . It makes it practically impossible to compete if Unions control your overall cost .
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: American Made? - 07/15/17 01:28 AM

For me, it means everything to me regarding vehicles. Same with rods. Unfortunately I don't know of any BC reels made here but thankfully there are several in the fly fishing category that I can choose from.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: American Made? - 07/15/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeterK
For me, it means everything to me regarding vehicles. Same with rods. Unfortunately I don't know of any BC reels made here but thankfully there are several in the fly fishing category that I can choose from.

Penn and Avet are USA made bait casters, but have no Bass model type reels.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum