Texas Fishing Forum

Bed covers.

Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Bed covers. - 03/02/16 05:24 AM

Few questions for y'all fishermen reguarding tow vehicles. I'm interested in either a tonneau bed cover or a camper shell. It'll be going on my Ram 1500 ecodiesel.
1. What do you have? Likes,dislikes
2. How hard is it launching alone? (I always have to get in the bed of the truck to launch/load)
3. What brand, where can you get it?
4. Does anyone here sale them?

I like keeping business locally between fishermen. I'm about 70% sure on a tonneau cover. Backflip or rotrax.
Posted By: JoshJones1984

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 05:33 AM

Don't skimp is my first piece of advice. Lots of really sub-par tonneau covers out there. The only one I will sell someone is a quad fold by Fold-A-Cover (then again, we don't have a plethora of options at the dealership). I don't have a lot of experience with the others, but everyone I've sold this one to seems to like it a lot. No complaints yet.

Part Name: Hard Quad-Fold - Premium Tonneau Cover by Fold-a-CoverŪ, 6'6-Inch Standard Box, Black

Part #: 19302797

Installed: $1,308.53
Part Only: $1,243.01

If you decide to go this route, let me know and I'll get you one at my cost through the dealership if you want.

Good luck!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 05:41 AM

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/products/flex

Tough to break into, around$800. I really don't like the look of a camper shell so I went with this.
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 06:29 AM

I have the UnderCover Classic for my 2010 Tundra & it has worked perfectly. I ordered both of mine from autoanything.com The prices are the same no matter where you get them, kinda like GoPro cameras. It installed very easily. It keeps everything dry in pouring down rain and is very tough. I just ordered an UnderCover Elite for my 2016 Tundra. It should be here this week. The only issue my wife had was backing an empty trailer down the ramp. My wife has to turn her head around to back up the trailer but she can't see the trailer when the boat is not on it. The cover blocks the view of the empty trailer. It's not a problem for me because I usually just use my mirrors. I made some "cheater" poles out of PVC that attach to the trailer with a quick remove pin. She can attach them to the trailer in less minute before she backs down the trailer.
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 08:38 AM

I have an Accent soft bed cover on my Dodge and a hard bed cover on my Ford. The soft bed cover you have to have the tailgate open to release it so there is some security there and if you get somewhere and need to haul something big you can just roll it up which is a draw back for the hard bed cover.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 10:17 AM

I have a 1500 with the 6'4" bed. I use a three part folding cover. I bought it for my 2013 1500 and kept it for my 2015. It is made from polycarbonate and very tough. I can actually walk on it. The seals are still like new, a great quality product. With the tailgate locked it would be very hard to break into.

Best part is that I can fold it up and fasten it in place. I usually don't do this for loading and unloading. I use my mirrors and the backup camera.
It is also easy to fold up and take out if I need the whole bed. No tools required.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 10:55 AM

i have a A.R.E. hard cover on my truck. It is painted to match my truck. I really like it. Dry and secure. I bought it in Longview at McKay Truck Covers on HWY 80E. 903-234-0374
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 12:16 PM

I have a BakFlip G-2 on mine. Been a good one, no issues. Had it on my 14 and putting it on my new one tomorrow.

It takes 10 minutes to install and 2 minutes to remove.

http://www.bakflip.com/p-200-bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover.aspx?gclid=CNPwk-r8ocsCFQ-raQodNyQDRA
Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 12:42 PM

I'm sponsored by the best covers made. UNDERCOVER sportsman undercoversportsman.com check them out
Posted By: Kidde

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 01:03 PM

I'm not sponsored by them but my last two trucks have had undercover bed covers on them and they are great. I got my first one in 2005 and won't have a truck without one.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 01:16 PM

After a few crappy covers over the years I dropped the ponied up for a Retrax and it's the best cover I've had.

http://www.retrax.com/
Posted By: snickers

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 01:40 PM

Got a new Silverado yesterday. Undercover going on it tomorrow. Had it on my 14 and love it and it is under a grand.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 01:43 PM

Snugtop if your sure that you want one.if not 100% get a cheap used one
Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 01:54 PM

I have had several A. R. E. Never had a problem. I also install the Bed Rug makes a nice surface in the bed.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 03:23 PM

I have an A.R.E. hard shell, on a '15 F-150 FX4. Computer matched paint/fit, carpet on ceiling, led lights, secure latch/lock. I love it, however, the ole' "crawling thru the bed of the truck", to launch, is eliminated. If a ramp's water level is such that the trailer stays too level, and the truck's rear tires get in the water, just tie a rope to boat, then trailer, launch it and ease back up, and nose it into ramp. Loading out then becomes a "line it up and gas it", to load it correctly and still get down without getting your feet/knees wet.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Bed covers. - 03/02/16 10:22 PM

How does that eco diesel run? What kind of mileage are you getting empty and with the boat?
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 12:48 AM

A.R.E. On mine. Matches my truck and you can stack gear to the ceiling vs only to the bed rail with the folding cover. I thought I'd make a hoist in my shop so I didn't have to leave it on all the time but I've never taken it off. I'll never have another truck without one.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 01:05 AM

Mine 2500 hd z71 - undercover hard top cover locking with key
Wife's 1500 - ARE
Wife's for appearance
Mine easy to take off and easy to put back on 2-3 minutes at most.

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: rowlettfisherman
How does that eco diesel run? What kind of mileage are you getting empty and with the boat?

It's not a 3/4ton. It does what it was ment to do. 25mpg highway empty. 17mpg pulling boat at 70+. 15mpg at 80. But about 19 at 60mph. This is with my full replacement bumper. Truck will be receiving a leveling and wheels/tires. Still debating a cover vs camper. I'm mainly worries about loading my boat alone.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 01:18 AM

Diamond Back Covers...hold up to 1600lbs on top. Bad to the bone.
Posted By: LSM

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 01:29 AM

ARE hard shell painted to match truck. I put it on my truck for a trip to Colorado and intended to take it off when we got back. That was in 2007 and it's still on there. I can still haul just about anything I want in my bed and have a 16 foot utility trailer if needed. I've never had a bed cover but feel like it would limit my use, personally.
Johnson GT in Houston
$1,000 in 2007

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 02:01 PM

As anyone used a "bed step" it might would allow you to step on the tire. Then it. And the bumper to get to the boat trailer. Or I can launch at a steeper ramp and gun it! Hahaha
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 04:10 PM

I had an Accent roll-up cover on my last truck (2010 Tundra) and a Gator roll-up cover on my new truck (2014 Tundra). Both were/are very good covers but not 100% leak proof. I guess there could be a security issue but in the five years I have had a roll-up cover I've never had a problem.

I wanted a roll-up cover because I haul bigger/taller stuff (yard waste/brush and an occasional appliance, my chipper/shredder, small lawn tractor/mower) in my truck and a hard top limits you in what you can put in the bed (at least the ones I have looked at).
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
I have a BakFlip G-2 on mine. Been a good one, no issues. Had it on my 14 and putting it on my new one tomorrow.

http://www.bakflip.com/p-200-bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover.aspx?gclid=CNPwk-r8ocsCFQ-raQodNyQDRA

cheers peep
Posted By: LoneStarHusker

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

cheers peep

I also have this one and like it a lot. Once in a while I wish I could stand on it though. Water tight and really easy to take on and off.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Few questions for y'all fishermen reguarding tow vehicles. I'm interested in either a tonneau bed cover or a camper shell. It'll be going on my Ram 1500 ecodiesel.
2. How hard is it launching alone? (I always have to get in the bed of the truck to launch/load)

I like keeping business locally between fishermen. I'm about 70% sure on a tonneau cover. Backflip or rotrax.

I have an Undercover and it is well worth the money. Of course I virtually never need to haul something that will not fit underneath it. On the other hand, if I had it to do over, I would have bought the full camper shell. There have been enough times that I could have used more room which would have offset the additional cost.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Bed covers. - 03/03/16 11:50 PM

Put a BakFlip on my 09 Dodge when I bought it new. Never had any issues with it and launch by myself quite often. Flip the cover up and lower the tailgate before launching, step on the back tire into the bed and then into the boat. Never get my feet wet. The cover is a hard cover that can only be opened when the tailgate is open. Have a locking tailgate so contents in the bed are pretty well secured. If I need to haul large items I just flip the cover up against the cab and lock it in place. You lose the ability to see out your back window with it up like this but whats in the bed usually blocks view anyway so not a big thing. You can also remove the cover in about 2 min. if need be.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Bed covers. - 03/04/16 03:20 AM

I have a bed cover on my f150, not sure of the brand because it came with the vehicle, but I love it. I can lock all of my truck up and leave my gear in my truck all the time. Launching alone has never been a problem for me, especially if I let the tailgate down.
Posted By: MarksinTexas

Re: Bed covers. - 03/04/16 11:00 PM

BakFlip F1 on my 2013 Tundra. My 11 year old daughter and I installed it. Easy install and seems to be a very good option.
Posted By: danwill12

Re: Bed covers. - 03/21/16 04:08 AM

What did you get?
Posted By: Austintatious

Re: Bed covers. - 03/23/16 02:37 PM

Well, I have a truxedo...

I LOVE it... I got the low profile version and it has been great. It rolls up and out of the way completely. I have had it about 4 years and it is going strong... cant beat it for around 250 bucks.
Posted By: Mustang3475

Re: Bed covers. - 03/24/16 05:47 AM

Look at the Roll n Lock. Had it for five years no issues. It's pricey but well worth it. Bed doesn't get wet at all.
Posted By: Larry M

Re: Bed covers. - 03/26/16 09:28 PM

I have had several cab high shell and tonneau covers each serves a purpose.
Retrax Tonneau covers are the best I have had them on three trucks. But the best set up I had was a Gemtop shell with a bedslide had this on three trucks also. One was my wifes truck and she loved it for Costco runs ect.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Bed covers. - 03/31/16 05:43 AM

Just put a BAK Revolver X2 on my Silverado. Love it so far. Secure and dry.

Gman
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Bed covers. - 03/31/16 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

I have an Undercover and love it. Way less expensive than a hard bed cover, and it does the job well. That said, if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone to a fiberglass camper shell. Once upon a time I had an aluminum shell on a truck and if one rode in the back, it was extremely noisy. Almost too noisy to put kids back there. The reason I would have gone with the fiberglass shell is that you can hold so much more in the bed with one than just a cover.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Bed covers. - 05/09/16 10:27 PM

I've always had a cap/ camper shell. Went with ARE on my last 2 trucks. ARE offers $200 off to BASS members... $100 off when ordering, $100 Visa card after delivery... Won't own another truck without a cap... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum