Texas Fishing Forum

Tire load range for towing bass boats?

Posted By: StumpJumper1

Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 02:07 PM

What do you tire gurus think is the best load range for towing bass boats?

Is there any sense in getting a E rated tire? I kinda feel like that's overkill and you'd be sacrificing ride.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 02:18 PM

Probably not needed. But I will say the higher the load rating, the more miles I seem to get out of a set of tires.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 02:30 PM

Kumho's, E rating.
Posted By: pcf

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 08:45 PM

Probably whatever came on your truck from the factory. If you're in a half ton with P tires and it feels a little wiggly in the back end while towing a C rated LT tire might help. (Weight distribution will probably help more and cost less than new tires) The load that a LT tire will handle is based off of the cold inflation pressure. A C rated tire will handle so many pounds at 50PSI, D rated is usually 65PSI and E rated at 80PSI. Dropping the air pressure will also reduce the weight rating. An E rated tire will have the same weight rating as a the same size and model of C rated tire at 50PSI.

On page 44 is a load pressure chart from Goodyear, it's pretty much the same from other manufacturers.

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/resources/publications/2010_loadinflation.pdf

If you're not running an E rated tire above 65PSI, there's not much benefit too it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 09:16 PM

You will be just fine with a set of p-rated tires. Air them up to max. I pulled our boat all over on them without any issues. Pulled our TT as well on p-rated tires with no issues. Look on the weight rating for the tire, it will be on the side wall. A bass boat really doesn't put that much weight on a truck.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 11:30 PM

Tongue weight on my bass boat is about 80 pounds. That will have very little effect on the tires.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Tire load range for towing bass boats? - 02/27/15 11:33 PM

yeah the only weight from the boat is tongue weight and it should be no more than 9 to 15% of the loaded trailer, a p rate ll is light load, p rate no letter or sl is standard load and a p rate xl is extra load, standard for a p-metric tire, p= passenger tire, then you get into the euro-mc passenger tire, again nothing or sl is a standard load and rf or xl is the extra load, so before you get into a lt tire a p-xl is a little better than lt-b and just under a lt-c rate, then you get the ride of a lt tire, lol, to me on a 1/2 ton, p standard or p extra load will do anything that truck is supposed to do

p.s. single letter rate (e,h,x,z) are speed ratings, example, the speed the tire is rated to go for a certain length of time, like a h rate at 75mph for a length of time or a z rate at 145mph or higher for a length of time
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum