Texas Fishing Forum

slip in the hitch?

Posted By: Rob Lay

slip in the hitch? - 02/12/15 10:22 PM

my hitch is locked on the ball good, but there is pretty good slip you notice when taking off, it is a little jarring. is this something you can adjust down and make tighter or just get use to it? thanks!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/13/15 12:57 AM

All my trailers with surge brakes have done it. It is worse though if the brakes are not pumped up correctly.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/13/15 02:07 AM

Use a j-pin, problem solved.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/13/15 01:57 PM

Check the brake fluid level.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/13/15 02:32 PM

What type of hitch?

Are you using the correct size ball? Common sizes are 1 7/8, 2 inch, and 2 5/16.

Is the play in the hitch/coupler on the trailer? or does the receiver hitch have play in it?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/13/15 02:45 PM

There is a plate with a u bolt that they make that goes around the insert after its pinned in place. The plate is beveled and keeps the tension on the tube steel against the receiver. Steve Hummert has one on his truck, and it works great to keep the slop out.

May shoot him a PM and see who made it and a pic.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/17/15 03:59 AM

http://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Carriers-020-6-Hitch-Tightener/dp/B0001CMUV4

Had some play in my hitch/receiver got one of these ....now I dont have that annoying clunk when starting /etc...worked great for me.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/17/15 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadThrower
http://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Carriers-020-6-Hitch-Tightener/dp/B0001CMUV4

Had some play in my hitch/receiver got one of these ....now I dont have that annoying clunk when starting /etc...worked great for me.

This. Just be sure and install it so it holds the draw bar down on the receiver.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/17/15 01:30 PM

What type of trailer are you towing? Does it have a brake actuator on the tongue?
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/17/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Dayne
What type of trailer are you towing? Does it have a brake actuator on the tongue?

2011 Ranger Trail I guess, for a 520.

Not sure about actuator, it does have the brake safety tab that I believe keeps it from going backwards. I don't use it.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/18/15 11:46 AM

My trailer has an A-60 actuator in the tongue. Mine was doing similar to yours. I had a new actuator put in and solved my problem.
Posted By: TerryWilliams

Re: slip in the hitch? - 02/19/15 09:11 PM

I have towed dozens of brand new to nearly new Nitros, Skeeters, Legends, etc. and all I can say is they all have the slap/bump to some extent. Just a nature of surge brakes I guess.
Posted By: Hanley

Re: slip in the hitch? - 03/06/15 06:37 PM

You can use an anti rattle hitch pin to take some of the slop out.

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Lets-Go-Aero/63232.html
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: slip in the hitch? - 03/06/15 09:18 PM

If its the hitch, one wrap of duct tape tightens it up...if its the trailer, its needs the brake actuator serviced.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: slip in the hitch? - 04/27/15 08:26 PM

are you sure your trailer brakes are working?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum