Texas Fishing Forum

Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem

Posted By: Samsonsworld

Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 01/29/15 08:42 PM

Anybody have trouble with an ETC (electronic throttle control) warning indicator? It's come on a few times but the Jeep even went into limp mode yesterday. If you kill it for a while, the light goes away and it runs normal. Any ideas?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 01/29/15 08:48 PM

Seems like I have heard of the same issue with several cars. Not sure if it goes into limp mode or just doesn't sense the throttle input.

A budy of mine had a kia car that had the same deal go out 3-4 times and be replaced under warranty. You could mash the accelerator to the floor and it did nothing then all of a sudden it would take of. Sometimes it would do it sometimes it wouldn't.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 01/29/15 10:19 PM

Losing a signal somewhere... Anyway you can check it for codes? Get me a year model and the code and I'll look it up for you! GM trucks are bad about it. Its really not limp mode, but its just not receiving any inputs for the electronic throttle!
Posted By: Zedteamk2

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 01/29/15 11:09 PM

Have you tried cleaning the mass air flow sensor? They can get a bit gummed up.
JK-forum.com might also be a good place to ask questions

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 01/30/15 12:51 PM

I was told it was like my former Dodge, turn the key three times and it would run diagnostics but I got nothing???
Posted By: TITANIUM-BACK

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 02/01/15 02:27 AM

Throttle Control is bad
Bad battery will make it do that because it is not reading enough voltage from signal to pcm
Bad pcm
I hate to tell you this but that can be a easy code to fix and diagnose or a nightmare.
That code can cover many items that can cause it that are all related to each other in the circut loop.
A good mechanic will be able to figure it out.

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 02/03/15 01:06 PM

I've read anywhere from just turn it off and hold the accelerator down for a few seconds and restart, to replace harness or insulate the wiring harness from the engine, clean the throttle body or replace the throttle body, to nothing works and it has Chrysler stumped, just live with it. IDK. But it hasn't done it since. Should have know better than to buy a 4x4 with a antiquated minivan engine.
Posted By: Jtrussell

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 02/23/15 09:26 PM

I had this same problem with my jk. Turned out it was a corroded battery terminal. Wouldn't idle, barely would run, happened suddenly on the way home one day. Finally got it to the house, checked all connections and that was all I could find. Didn't throw a code either.

Seperate question-my red security light will flash along withe the low tire warning, any ideas what this means?
Posted By: Bullet[BS]

Re: Jeep JK 3.8L ETC problem - 02/23/15 10:46 PM

Eliminate the easy, get your tires and sensors checked if ok and the light stays on then know it requires more diagnostics.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum