Texas Fishing Forum

Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton

Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/02/14 08:42 PM

ok...got a dilemma.

My truck is using oil. at first it was a quart over about 5k miles but now its more like 2-2 1/2 quarts over 5k.

I say its using oil because its not leaking oil, and not burning it either.

I am at a loss.....my oil change guy can't figure it out either.

I just rolled 180k on the ODO if that matters. buddy of mine has the same truck and his uses about 2 quarts over 5k but his has 420k on the ODO.

Any help is appreciated
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/02/14 09:22 PM

First off what are you currently using? I'm running the Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w20 in my 06. I use the 5w30 Valvoline convetional oil in the 97. I tried the Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic in it once and it used 2 1/2 quarts in about 4k so I went back to the 5w30 Valvoline in it because it doesn't quite use 1 qt in a 3500 mile change. If you use the 5w20 then go to a 5w30 or even a 10w30 wouldn hurt but i wouldn't go heavier than that.

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 12:25 AM

I'm running mobil conventional 5w-30
Posted By: LMH Steel

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 12:57 AM

PCV valve

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 01:36 AM

I'm thinking so

I'm gonna change the valve tomorrow.

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 01:50 PM

Yep start there. Be sure after you replace it to check the rubber elbow on the back of the T.B. that connects to the pipe that runs over to the PCV they are bad about deteriorating and breaking. Especially after being disturbed.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 05:13 PM

My old chevy would use a quart per 1000 miles, pcv valve never changed anything.

The front main seal leaked also, seemed like it only did it when the truck was driving or under load though because it never dripped in the driveway, but did keep a nice oily coating on the bottom end of the engine and trans pan.

Past that if nothing fixes it just learn to check your oil more often! My boss had an '07 Tahoe her mechanic told her the world was coming to an end because it was quart low at 6000k mile change interval and was quoting prices for a new motor she told me and I just laughed.

I think more peoples vehicles use oil than they know, most simply do not check it. My 2011 5.3 uses a little and so did every vehicle I have ever had or maintained... which is quite a few!

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 06:21 PM

Oil was not in the coolant so that negates the oil cooler leak

I replaced the PCV valve, it would still rattle when I shook it

If that is not the fix I guess I just have to face the fact that the truck just uses oil
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/03/14 06:35 PM

My 5.4 used oil from day 1. I went to 5W-30 and it was tolerable. I heard that Ford replaced some of these engines because of complaints about oil use. I asked the service manager at a dealer about it and he told me that if it was not using a quart in less than 1000 miles than it was considered normal. I was convinced that mine used it when it was cold. I use to set my passenger mirror to view the tail pipe and would punch it on the highway. I never saw it smoke.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/06/14 10:48 PM

This is why I sitll use the 3k interval to change my oil. Dont trust the 5k intervals.

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/07/14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
This is why I sitll use the 3k interval to change my oil. Dont trust the 5k intervals.

With todays oil and filters 3k changes are a waste. I drain my dads oil at 6-7k and its still got a pretty decent amber color to it.

Some vehicles will just use oil.

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/07/14 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

With todays oil and filters 3k changes are a waste. I drain my dads oil at 6-7k and its still got a pretty decent amber color to it.

5k to 7.5k are normal intervals for semi-synthetic blend or if it's full synthetic it is advised to have tested prior to changes. My 97 uses the conventional oil so it gets changed at 3k and the 06 uses the semi-synth and it gets changed at 5k intervals. However unless the weather is "Really" bad the dipstick gets pulled and checked on "Both" every Saturday along with coolant level, brake fluid level, powerstearing fluid level, belt tension, battery terminals, clean the plastic baggies leaves suicidal bird remains out behind the grill and bumpers, finally both get warmed up to operating temperature and the transmission fluid checked, and let's don't forget tire pressure..... By my eyes!!!! I also most definatly perform the same ritual before a road trip whether it to go see Mom or fishing and even work. When my kids lived at home I did the same thing on their vehicles too...Doesn't everyone??? It's called preventative maintenance or at least it was when I became a vehicle owner... This was instilled as a self preservation method at a very young age.

Re: Engine/Oil issue....5.4 liter Triton - 02/07/14 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 97fordnut
Originally Posted By: redchevy

5k to 7.5k are normal intervals for semi-synthetic blend or if it's full synthetic it is advised to have tested prior to changes. My 97 uses the conventional oil so it gets changed at 3k and the 06 uses the semi-synth and it gets changed at 5k intervals. However unless the weather is "Really" bad the dipstick gets pulled and checked on "Both" every Saturday along with coolant level, brake fluid level, powerstearing fluid level, belt tension, battery terminals, clean the plastic baggies leaves suicidal bird remains out behind the grill and bumpers, finally both get warmed up to operating temperature and the transmission fluid checked, and let's don't forget tire pressure..... By my eyes!!!! I also most definatly perform the same ritual before a road trip whether it to go see Mom or fishing and even work. When my kids lived at home I did the same thing on their vehicles too...Doesn't everyone??? It's called preventative maintenance or at least it was when I became a vehicle owner... This was instilled as a self preservation method at a very young age.

I do pretty much the same thing. My tire checking gets more ocd as the tires get older. For me it came from driving a truck that burned a quart of oil every thousand miles as my first vehicle. I bet a large majority of people never touch the dipstick on their vehicles between trips to the walmart/pep boys oil and lube.

I think that is the reason why 1- I don't have most of the vehicle problems most people do and 2- I was as confident in driving my almost 20 year old truck with 265k miles on it around as I was my new one.. maybe more confidence in the old one till I put some miles on the new one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum