Texas Fishing Forum

2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement

Posted By: aggie-01

2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 04/26/13 07:22 PM

I need some direction on removing the steering shaft bearing. I got a new intermediate shaft and bearing today from rockauto and cant figure out how to get the old bearing out. The shaft is piece of cake but cant figure out the bearing.

Does anyone have a link to a how to.

Hopefully I can get it out while i have the shaft out.

Thanks
Mitch
Posted By: TITANIUM-BACK

Re: 2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 04/27/13 04:34 AM

Big tip: Do not let the steering wheel turn while changing either one of these out. The clock spring behind the steeiring wheel is expensive. Is the bearing pressed in ?

Re: 2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 04/28/13 12:26 PM

I got it. Just had to wiggle a little harder. Truck feels new again. I did have the steering wheel tied down.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: 2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 04/29/13 04:07 PM

Question, how does it drive if it needs to be replaced?

Re: 2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 04/29/13 07:14 PM

You feel it in your steering wheel when you hit bumps and turns. It is a lot of clanking, popping, rattling and feels like you are on a really bumpy road. Basically it feels like your truck is falling apart. I have had to have these "fixed" in a 2003 Tahoe, 2004 Tahoe and the 2006 Silverado. I had the dealer "fix" the Silverdo 2 times since I bought it new. This time I just bought the new version to fix it. The dealers would put more grease in but it would only last so long. GM has fixed the design of the steering shaft in the newer models.
Posted By: Flyer

Re: 2006 Silverado ISS bearing replacement - 05/05/13 02:38 PM

No need for the bearing. Just the i-shaft is the problem. We used to do a ton of these. wink.

As a side note .. GM first said replace them, then they changed it to lubing them, and from there they went back and forth a good bit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum