Texas Fishing Forum

Synthetic Oils

Posted By: mstring

Synthetic Oils - 01/23/10 02:27 AM

I know this has been beat to death but I'm gonna ask anyway. I've got an 07 F150 with 30,000 miles. Thinking of changing over to synthetic oil. What do any of you guys recommend? How often do you change the oil with synthetics? I have heard some say to just change the filter at 5000 miles and top off then change both the next time.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/23/10 02:38 AM

That should work. Make sure you get a good quality oil filter with microfibers.

Mobil 1, Amsoil or any of the top name oils will do.

I run Amsoil but its for longer drains. You need a bypass filter to do it safely.

Posted By: big_country1488

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/23/10 04:29 AM

castrol or amsoil if you can afford that.
Posted By: Woody Wood

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/23/10 10:48 PM

Amsoil in all my stuff.
Posted By: Allen Ehlers

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/24/10 01:29 AM

What have you been using? I use the Ford 5W20 synthetic blend and a motorcraft filter in my 2007 5.4 and change it at 4000 miles. I just couldn't go the full 5000 miles since I always changed the oil at 3000 mile in the past so I split the differance and change it at 4000
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 01:10 PM

I use valvoline full syn in my 02 dodge 360, 125,000 mi. and change at 4000. I use the fram tough guard filter with it.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 03:23 PM

I use Wally World full synthetic and Wally World oil filters.

A full synthetic oil change and filter (do it myself) for just a hair over $20 every 5,000 miles! thumb
Posted By: buffaloman chris

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 06:58 PM

is moble 5000 a synthetic???
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 07:30 PM

Pennzoil Platunim and Fram long life filters.

Just a personal opinion: Don't use Royal Purple, bad experiences with their products.
Posted By: agfisher02

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 07:31 PM

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in both my trucks. 86 Toyota 4X4 with 350K miles and 05 Tundra with 75K miles. I change both oil and filter every 5K miles.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 08:49 PM

I wouldn't put anything made by Fram in my vehicle (JMHO), especially if your going to the trouble of using a synthetic. I think Walmart and alot of lub places filters ar made by Fram also. Here is a study I've posted before.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Posted By: jimmye123

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/25/10 09:27 PM

if you are going to change the oil every 3-5k theres no need for the added expense of synt.oil just my 2cents
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/26/10 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: fishmagnet
I use Wally World full synthetic and Wally World oil filters.

A full synthetic oil change and filter (do it myself) for just a hair over $20 every 5,000 miles! thumb

THIS man has the right idea!! thumb

I change my oil and filter with WAL*MART products and take the money I save and buy a CASE of Old Mil! That's a full CASE mind you! bouncy breakdance

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/26/10 06:35 PM

i wouldnt trust those guys at wally world, iv heard many horror stories rolfmao
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/26/10 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: buffaloman chris
i wouldnt trust those guys at wally world, iv heard many horror stories rolfmao

I've had them put new tires and new batteries on mine but that's because I can watch them. No way would I let them underneth the vehicle where I can't see them. scared
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/27/10 06:30 AM

i run a dual bypass on my 7.3 can go 17000 between changes
Posted By: Old Town

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/27/10 01:18 PM

I ran three GM pickups that were equipped with Oil Life Monitor System. I used Mobil 1 and 10K oil change intervals. I never had any engine related failures in over 450,000 combined miles. As stated above, for 3-5K oil changes intervals, synthetic oil is a waste of money.
Posted By: TwistedDreams

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/27/10 03:12 PM

Mobile1 is a great synthetic oil. I have ran it in my Chevy SS for years. The only downfall about mobile1 is it seems to "Yellow" The engine internals.
Posted By: Bass Boat Wired

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/29/10 02:44 AM

I am a amsoil dealer if you would like to buy some or have me install it. I also use it in my champion!
Posted By: yellowstone

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/30/10 02:33 AM

Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers
of engine parts, in particular diesel fuel injection system
accessories for replacement, such as Fuel injection Nozzle, Plunger and
Delivery valve, ETC In south of china .

for more detail please visit our website : www.yellowstonediesel.com
www.dieselinjection.cn

Yellow stone diesel parts plant was founded in 1997.Over the years,
Yellow stone has grown and gained a reputation for producing
high quality products and delivering them on time.

Re: Synthetic Oils - 01/31/10 05:01 PM

go with amsoil go to a dual bypass filter set up and run 3 times the mileage
Posted By: East Bay Guide Jeff Brandon

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/06/10 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: stick steering
go with amsoil go to a dual bypass filter set up and run 3 times the mileage

What kind of money are you talking for the dual bypass setup ?

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/06/10 04:07 PM

probably 250 to start for the hardware ,and then its only oil and filters , i have a 20 qt setup and it cost me 210.00 a oil change for a diesel, a gas engine would require around 8 -10 qts and maybe 1 filter knock it down to about 100- 110 a oil change ,if you divide tht by 3.5 that works out to about 65 per 5000mi for diesel and30 for a gas and a couple of hours saved in labor , id bet thats as cheap or cheaper than a regular oil change and if yours is a gas rig you may be able to go farther between changes,go online and sign up at amsoil as a prefered customer there is a small enrollment fee and then you buy at wholesale, amsoil will test oil samples for you and give you recomended service intervals and you can have your supplies drop shipped to your front door, ps the filters trap deposites down to 1 micron ,thats smaller than the engine tolerences eliminating most of the wear on your engine pm me if you need any further info hope this helps
Posted By: East Bay Guide Jeff Brandon

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/08/10 03:42 PM

Recently switched to amsoil... i run a dmax, but normally trade every 24 months, but with the economy, i will probably stretch this one out a few years. That is what got me to thinking about the dual setup.

thx for the info.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/11/10 02:01 PM

I've got a dual filter setup for my Dodge Cummins and am fixing to change it over to a single bypass setup. I will still have a couple of the regular filters that can go with this setup but the bypass filters I will keep to go with my new single bypass filter setup.

I have all the parts except the oil lines. I've used it for 5 or more years.

Also if you're close to Arlington Amsoil has a distribution center here. You can pick up your order without freight but you have to pay Texas sales tax. Its almost a wash on cost.

I've read from the DieselPlace Chevy forums that the change intervals for the dual bypass setup is 15-30k miles for the regular filter and 30-50k for the bypass filter. You do need to do oil sampling at a regular interval at first. Its a kick to find out all the chemicals and metal traces that end up in the oil and they can even predict what part of your engine may be wearing faster than normal by doing oil analysis.

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/11/10 04:39 PM

thats pretty interesting.

Re: Synthetic Oils - 02/12/10 10:09 PM

hoses can be made by Texas Rubber if you need them
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum