Texas Fishing Forum

Buy a new truck now or wait?

Posted By: JesseX

Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/15/22 04:33 PM

I know we have people on the board in the auto sales industry. Should I wait to buy a truck and hope prices go down? But as price goes down, interest rate goes up. Appreciate any insider info.

My current tow vehicle is rapidly declining and it looks like I will be in need of a new(er) truck. Love the 21' and 22' Chevy, RAM and Fords. They all look great, have good reviews and it's so hard to choose. I really like this truck:

Ram 1500 Night Edition

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/15/22 07:26 PM

Always cheaper to fix what you have than buy new….
Posted By: gander

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/16/22 08:12 PM

To each their own. I am wanting a 3500 Ram but I refuse to pay sticker or sticker plus. I don't have to have it immediately thankfully and am willing to wait and see what happens when Brandon is gone.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/16/22 08:27 PM

Gander--I hear ya! Have already seen the price on a few new trucks go down $2K this month. I have held out because I just ain't gonna pay what they are asking. How some people can afford these trucks I just don't know.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/18/22 02:00 AM

Market will crash. Give it 6-12 months and my guess is you'll save at least $10k

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/18/22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Market will crash. Give it 6-12 months and my guess is you'll save at least $10k
I would like some savings but not at the expense of the market. We are in strange times right now and I am not even sure if the " normal " way of buying a vehicle will ever return.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/18/22 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by gander
I would like some savings but not at the expense of the market. We are in strange times right now and I am not even sure if the " normal " way of buying a vehicle will ever return.

Yeah, it'll be back once the recession hits.

Only disclaimer is if we continue to move towards a society where more and more people don't work. If labor continues to be hard to come by, companies will move towards lower volume and higher profit per unit. And if they do that, then you may be right that the old way of buying is gone.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/19/22 10:48 PM

I’d buy a new truck if one three things happened. Yours no longer is repairable. You want a new truck. You can afford to pay what it costs.

It really is simple. If one of these is true, looks like you’re truck shopping. Waiting for things to align may or may not ever happen.

I see new trucks on the road every day. I could t imagine the stress of being strapped for $800+ payments for 10 years. Hahaha. All I can think is what a piss poor investment a new truck is right now. But that’s me. I’m kinda a tight wad.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/21/22 06:30 PM

Dropped my 2012 Expedition at the Ford dealer this morning and there must hav been 25 others dropping a vehicle.
Asked the service advisor what,s up.
His response was with the high prices and economy,folks are holding on to their existing rides.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/21/22 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Dropped my 2012 Expedition at the Ford dealer this morning and there must hav been 25 others dropping a vehicle.
Asked the service advisor what,s up.
His response was with the high prices and economy,folks are holding on to their existing rides.

Yes people are holding on to things longer, the added issue is a lot of the parts (especially the genuine parts) are on back order right now. Very strange times. Nothing wrong with holding on to a vehicle, but it’s a problem when parts might be 4-6 months out.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/21/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I’d buy a new truck if one three things happened. Yours no longer is repairable. You want a new truck. You can afford to pay what it costs.

It really is simple. If one of these is true, looks like you’re truck shopping. Waiting for things to align may or may not ever happen.

I see new trucks on the road every day. I could t imagine the stress of being strapped for $800+ payments for 10 years. Hahaha. All I can think is what a piss poor investment a new truck is right now. But that’s me. I’m kinda a tight wad.
I am wanting to buy but I am hard headed and WILL NOT pay sticker or over..I have bought 3 vehicles over the last 11 years and none have been financed. I will make payments to myself until I can buy. That said for now will wait

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 06/21/22 09:48 PM

Yeah, it'll be back once the recession hits.

Only disclaimer is if we continue to move towards a society where more and more people don't work. If labor continues to be hard to come by, companies will move towards lower volume and higher profit per unit. And if they do that, then you may be right that the old way of buying is gone.
I agree

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/10/22 12:18 PM

Went with a used 2021 Ram Limited. Sold other truck for much more than I expected.
[Linked Image]

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/10/22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by JesseX
Went with a used 2021 Ram Limited. Sold other truck for much more than I expected.
[Linked Image]

Sadly, you likely paid much more than you expected too.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/10/22 12:57 PM

[Linked Image]

Sadly, you likely paid much more than you expected too.

If you have a trade then in most cases the price difference between the two isn't much different then when things were normal. Now if you're looking to buy without a trade be prepared to shed a few tears.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/13/22 02:21 PM

Price gouging is what I would call it . If I did what the auto companies are doing I’d be locked up.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/13/22 04:04 PM

[Linked Image]

JesseX, you bought a very nice looking truck!
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/13/22 10:26 PM

Great looking truck!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/14/22 09:57 PM

Gander--I hear ya! Have already seen the price on a few new trucks go down $2K this month. I have held out because I just ain't gonna pay what they are asking. How some people can afford these trucks I just don't know.

X2
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/15/22 08:56 PM

Why wait if it is what you want ? Seize the opportunity.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/18/22 02:22 PM

I saw an ad that Ram is offering $8500 & $9000 rebates. Might be a sign that things are changing. Or maybe Ram sales are falling.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/18/22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
I saw an ad that Ram is offering $8500 & $9000 rebates. Might be a sign that things are changing. Or maybe Ram sales are falling.

Now we're getting back to normal.

I may sell my Silverado 2500 Duramax and just wait 6 months to get another one.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/18/22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER

X2

7 year payment plans

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/18/22 05:44 PM

Same as 10-year financing on a boat or RV, and I've even heard they're going to 15-year...that's nuts!

I felt bad financing my 2019 Silverado 2500 Duramax for 48 months. I've got about 24 left on it and I hate that. We paid cash for my Camry and my wife's MDX...I just can't do that long term financing.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/18/22 06:28 PM

Same as 10-year financing on a boat or RV, and I've even heard they're going to 15-year...that's nuts!

Lenders went to 20-30 year loans on them years ago.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/20/22 03:02 AM

Don’t know what you do when you drive a lot of miles and get upside down on something like that, but to each their own. I’m of the mindset that even a new engine, transmission, differential, etc is cheaper than new.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/26/22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Don’t know what you do when you drive a lot of miles and get upside down on something like that, but to each their own. I’m of the mindset that even a new engine, transmission, differential, etc is cheaper than new.

Have a 15 Ram 1/2 ton with 285k that the cam/lifters went out on. 2-3k to replace top end, 5k to replace motor with a 100k warranty - I just replaced the motor.
Didn't like dropping the cash but still 45k cheaper than a new truck.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/27/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Have a 15 Ram 1/2 ton with 285k that the cam/lifters went out on. 2-3k to replace top end, 5k to replace motor with a 100k warranty - I just replaced the motor.
Didn't like dropping the cash but still 45k cheaper than a new truck.

Where’d your motor come from? I got from aer and had it professionally installed. Motor with install and upgraded gold no fault warranty for $100/hour labor coverage with fluid reimbursement, towing, and rental car coverage. Had them install new exhaust manifolds, radiator, starter, alternator, and hoses and it came out to just under $5000.
Posted By: drifter106

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/29/22 10:29 AM

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not...thats exactly what I am looking for. Sweet lookin truck!
flehan
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/29/22 01:14 PM

$800+ payments for 10 years. Hahaha. All I can think is what a piss poor investment a new truck is right now. But that’s me. I’m kinda a tight wad.

Tight wad??? ...only pays that for his stereo systems. Ha!

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/29/22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Lenders went to 20-30 year loans on them years ago.

That's stupid
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 08/29/22 03:21 PM

Just bought a 2022 Chevy RST LTD after my dealer of 25 years told me that a lot of the new trucks are gonna be $10,000.00 over MSRP.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/02/22 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Buchbass2
Just bought a 2022 Chevy RST LTD after my dealer of 25 years told me that a lot of the new trucks are gonna be $10,000.00 over MSRP.

I'd find a new dealer. That's robbery

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/03/22 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
I would love to know where..all I am seeing is sticker if you order and sticker plus if one is on the lot.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/03/22 01:36 PM

End of year is approaching and this is normally a good time to buy a vehicle. I wonder of these vehicle are sitting on a lot?

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/04/22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TXanalogkd
End of year is approaching and this is normally a good time to buy a vehicle. I wonder of these vehicle are sitting on a lot?

Nothing right now is normal with the car market.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/04/22 09:41 PM

It is robbery but some people are still paying it.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/04/22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
$800+ payments for 10 years. Hahaha. All I can think is what a piss poor investment a new truck is right now. But that’s me. I’m kinda a tight wad.

Tight wad??? ...only pays that for his stereo systems. Ha!

I get some sponsored “gift” equipment. roflmao

I’m what ya call “sponsored” or “pro staff” for several stereo companies. banana wish I could get life sponsored. That’d be pretty cool.
Posted By: JCBYEN

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/05/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jimfishes
[Linked Image]

JesseX, you bought a very nice looking truck!

Looks ok, but needs new wheels/tires and lifted.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/09/22 01:50 PM

I know. And I don't blame any dealer for getting what they can. But those of us who ask for fair treatment will remember the ones who did this
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/10/22 02:35 AM

Look I work in the auto industry these plants will do anything to keep plants open. G m proably has 10000 units in midilothian tx at port all 2022 models waiting for parts the 23 s are coming out of plant now. How are they going to rid themselves of these ? Manufacturers are gougeing people plain and simple. If I sold plywood at a high price befor a hurricane I would be locked up. I can’t wait till [censored] hits the fan and the shoe is on the other foot .

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/12/22 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
Look I work in the auto industry these plants will do anything to keep plants open. G m proably has 10000 units in midilothian tx at port all 2022 models waiting for parts the 23 s are coming out of plant now. How are they going to rid themselves of these ? Manufacturers are gougeing people plain and simple. If I sold plywood at a high price befor a hurricane I would be locked up. I can’t wait till [censored] hits the fan and the shoe is on the other foot .
I am waiting for that shoe to be on the other foot if it ever happens. That is when I will buy. I see those units just sitting out there and wonder how many may end up with chewed wiring because of field mice or rats..
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/12/22 02:52 PM

I know. And I don't blame any dealer for getting what they can. But those of us who ask for fair treatment will remember the ones who did this

The RST I bought was $3500 under sticker and it was exactly the truck I was looking for, what I meant was he was saying the new refreshed models were $10,000 over MSRP.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/15/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by JCBYEN
Looks ok, but needs new wheels/tires and lifted.

Sigh... I know. Looking into doing that. I am really shocked at how much wheels and tires are or my taste for what I want is pretty expensive.

Brink Fangs 20x9 0 offset w/ 275/65/20 Nitto Recon Grapplers is what I am looking at.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/22/22 04:48 PM

I just got me a new boat hauler yesterday!....been pondering since the old boat hauler 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 limited turned 95,000 miles and thought it was worth more now...

Got a 2023 Chevrolet HD2500 4x4 Crew Custom V8 gasser..black on black...literally purchased with only window sticker a delivery date of Sept 24th otherwise they said I'd have to wait for it to hit the lot if they didn't have a delivery date.

$500 under MSRP...Costco gave a $1000 rebate!....Deals are out there to be had.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/23/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by romeroxl1200
I just got me a new boat hauler yesterday!....been pondering since the old boat hauler 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 limited turned 95,000 miles and thought it was worth more now...

Got a 2023 Chevrolet HD2500 4x4 Crew Custom V8 gasser..black on black...literally purchased with only window sticker a delivery date of Sept 24th otherwise they said I'd have to wait for it to hit the lot if they didn't have a delivery date.

Sad day when $1500 off MSRP is considered a "deal".

I'll wait til they're $15k off MSRP again

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/23/22 09:23 PM

1500 off sticker is like a kick in the nads...I am not buying with that type of deal

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/23/22 09:44 PM

Those days are long over. Manufacturers found out that they can make more money on less vehicles without rebates.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/24/22 02:37 AM

Those days are long over. Manufacturers found out that they can make more money on less vehicles without rebates.

By this time next year….they’ll be rebating the [censored] out of everything. Old habits die hard.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/24/22 03:03 AM

By this time next year….they’ll be rebating the [censored] out of everything. Old habits die hard.

I bough a RAM 2500 a couple of months ago and got $7,500 off MSRP. Granted I buy a lot of vehicles from that dealership and I still feel like I paid too much, but considering the state of everything right now I felt pretty good about it. It was either that or give more money to the gov't, I chose the lesser of two evils.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/25/22 09:16 PM

Ordered a ‘23 Lincoln Aviator 6 weeks ago and got notice yesterday that it’s in. Unfortunately, I’m paying sticker price. I’m good with that if they give us what I want for the trade in. We’ll see on Tuesday when it’s negotiation time. We were looking at Tellurides but they wanted to add $8K to sticker. That killed that deal. Everything is higher priced nowadays, it’s the new normal. Pay or stay on porch.

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/28/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Ordered a ‘23 Lincoln Aviator 6 weeks ago and got notice yesterday that it’s in. Unfortunately, I’m paying sticker price. I’m good with that if they give us what I want for the trade in. We’ll see on Tuesday when it’s negotiation time. We were looking at Tellurides but they wanted to add $8K to sticker. That killed that deal. Everything is higher priced nowadays, it’s the new normal. Pay or stay on porch.
I don't believe the " new normal " for automobile dealers and manufacturers will last too much longer....that said time will only tell
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Buy a new truck now or wait? - 09/29/22 01:58 PM

If I wanted a lifted truck, I'd order all the parts and have someone install it, and not pay any dealer mark up on the lift.

I would also realize you can buy from anywhere now. I know people driving 5-8 hrs to get a new vehicle. Dealer's trading seems to be something that does not happen anymore.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum