Texas Fishing Forum

Ford Ranger Tow Capacity?

Posted By: RexW

Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 08/29/21 11:00 PM

Anyone familiar with the towing capacity of the Ford Ranger? I'm curious how well it would handle a 19 ft fiberglass bass boat? On paper, it's within the truck's towing specifications, but I'm wondering how well it works in actual use? I am especially interested in how well the Ranger handles breaking and stopping that much weight?

Thanks!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 08/29/21 11:30 PM

Years ago I towed a Triton TR21 with a Tacoma. As long as the trailer breaks work you’ll be fine.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 08/30/21 01:19 AM

I wouldn’t purposely buy a Ranger to tow with. Mini trucks just aren’t that capable. Unless towing mini boats, that is. I bet it would handle a Jon boat ok.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 08/30/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I wouldn’t purposely buy a Ranger to tow with. Mini trucks just aren’t that capable. Unless towing mini boats, that is. I bet it would handle a Jon boat ok.

[Linked Image]

This your ride Steez
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 08/30/21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

[Linked Image]

This your ride Steez

Nah. Mine would be more like the dodge commercial where he’s taking the kids to tiajuana with the jet boat. Lol
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/07/21 03:02 AM

I have a 2021 Ranger and it tows my 2200 lb 18’ aluminum boat rig just fine. Doesn’t break a sweat. I am impressed with the truck. I had a 2007 Tacoma years before and much prefer the Ranger. I think the turbo engine and 10 speed transmission are powerful.
Posted By: Fourjs

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/08/21 10:24 PM

I’ve got a 2021 Ranger. It’s rated for 3,500. I tow a trailer loaded with an EZGO cart. Around 2,000. I would assume the boat would be more than that.

It has a tow/haul mode and does fine towing. MPG drops about 5. Other than that, it’s good to go. I don’t notice much difference in the braking. Of course, I don’t it drive hard and have not had to slam on the brakes.

Jimmy
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/08/21 11:17 PM

if the boat weighs the same as or more than the truck pulling it you need a bigger truck.
brakes on all axles at minimum.
first time the boat pushes you on a wet road, I will leave it there.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/10/21 06:53 PM

If you're driving in a neighborhood heading down to the ramp....yes.
If you have to get on any part of roadway or highway for longer than 2 miles.....no.

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/12/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
if the boat weighs the same as or more than the truck pulling it you need a bigger truck.
brakes on all axles at minimum.
first time the boat pushes you on a wet road, I will leave it there.

I agree and that's my concern. I have been in an under weight tow vehicle before and I never want that again.

The boat should be in the 3,000 lb range and the Ranger is about 4,000 lbs. So, on paper, it looks possible.

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/12/21 01:28 AM

Thanks for input FishAdmirer and Fourjs, I appreciate the comments.

Okie Pokie, it is extremely rare to tow it more than about 5 miles to the ramp. If I was running a tournament trail, I would not even consider it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ford Ranger Tow Capacity? - 09/16/21 06:33 PM

Pulled a 19-foot fiberglass center console bay boat on a single axle trailer with no breaks for years with a GMC sonoma and a Chevy S-10 blazer, both with 4.3 L v-6. Zero issues towing with either. Not as fast as the v-8's but not as thirsty either. Never had a problem stopping.

You shouldn't drive the same towing as you do empty... that speaks for itself. It is rated for the weight and there is more govt red tape on that rating than you could shake a stick at. Its perfectly safe and fine to do as long as you don't do it like an idiot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum