Texas Fishing Forum

Headers.....

Posted By: V-Bottom

Headers..... - 04/19/21 04:52 AM

To get a little more HP and torque out of my 04' F150 4.6L, I am thinking about getting a set of shorties. I'm not sure which ones I should get. Looking at a budget cost of around $500.00 for the set. Do you have an older truck with headers? Was there any improvement HP wise, mpg, towing? I have quite a bit of work done on my trk, front to back. This add-on is about the last thing I want done, other than a new paint job and a set of Cragar's. Any info and advice will be appreciated here..
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 06:49 AM

as far as shorties go on that 4.6, it would be nothing more than an exhaust manifold swap and you won't gain a thing. unless your pushing over 500hp and going with long tube headers, your just wasting your time and money. the stock manifolds, per say, flow good to 500hp. the restriction comes from the catalytic converters, so for a significant gain across the board, go with high flow cats. that's my story and i'm sticking to it
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 02:03 PM

Yeah your not going to gain anything, especially not in any kind of usable rpm range.

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Yeah your not going to gain anything, especially not in any kind of usable rpm range.

Thanx to both of you. I think I just made up my mind NOT to get any !!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 06:59 PM

He will gain something......AN EXHAUST LEAK! bolt

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
He will gain something......AN EXHAUST LEAK! bolt

Most likely!!
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Headers..... - 04/19/21 09:21 PM

Good call, I've run headers on several vehicles over the years. I never put headers on as the only modification, always combined with cam, intake, carb and sometimes heads. On older carbed vehicles, all headers alone would get you was a lean condition.

Re: Headers..... - 04/20/21 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cmack
Good call, I've run headers on several vehicles over the years. I never put headers on as the only modification, always combined with cam, intake, carb and sometimes heads. On older carbed vehicles, all headers alone would get you was a lean condition.

thumb
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Headers..... - 04/20/21 04:43 PM

Many times aftermarket add on's may improve PEAK horsepower, but many times the power in normal operating ranges can be the same or worse.

What is good for screaming down a race track at 5000+ rpm is not the same as what is best for what your average joe is looking for in a daily driver. While I wont say the auto manufacturers are perfect by a long shot, they build what they build for a reason.

Re: Headers..... - 04/20/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Many times aftermarket add on's may improve PEAK horsepower, but many times the power in normal operating ranges can be the same or worse.

What is good for screaming down a race track at 5000+ rpm is not the same as what is best for what your average joe is looking for in a daily driver. While I wont say the auto manufacturers are perfect by a long shot, they build what they build for a reason.

thumb soldier
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum