Texas Fishing Forum

Motor Trend

Posted By: Buchbass2

Motor Trend - 02/08/21 04:27 PM

I must say I wasn't surprised when Motor Trend named the Toyota Tundra the worst truck for 2021 citing it hadn't changed in 10 years or so, nor was I surprised when they named the 2021 Silverado the pick-up with best bang for your buck for this year. What surprised me was in a test of the Duramax 2500 versus the F-250 and the Dodge 2500 dragging a heavy load to see who could drag it the longest distance. I would have thought the Ford F-250 who had the best 0 to 60 time and the most HP would win, but surprising the Silverado won.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Motor Trend - 02/08/21 04:46 PM

Motor Trend is nothing but paid for advertising
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Motor Trend - 02/09/21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Yep, just like Consumer Reports. They have knocked certain trucks for ride. Well they are trucks designed to carry a load not Caddys
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Motor Trend - 02/09/21 03:13 AM

I’m looking forward to the new twin turbo V6 Tundra later this year.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Motor Trend - 02/09/21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen

That is what I am waiting on myself. Hope they also make a major change in the transmission. An 8 or 10 speed would really help.
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: Motor Trend - 02/16/21 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit

That is what I am waiting on myself. Hope they also make a major change in the transmission. An 8 or 10 speed would really help.

Me too! I heard it was getting a 10 speed
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Motor Trend - 03/08/21 01:40 PM

Wow, this got my attention. No doubt that Toyota can pull it off.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Motor Trend - 03/09/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

Yep, just like Consumer Reports. They have knocked certain trucks for ride. Well they are trucks designed to carry a load not Caddys

That's odd, I thought that Consumers Reports did not have paid advertising in their magazine. Have they changed?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Motor Trend - 03/11/21 12:55 PM

The Tundra has been outdated for 5-6 years at least. A gas-thirsty V8 with poor ride quality and late-90s interior was fine up until 2010/2011 or so, but in 2020, it seriously looks and drives like my old 1999 Silverado. But about a decade ago, Ford/Chevy/Ram all realized that if they wanted to charge $40k for a new truck, customers would like to have decent ride quality, better mpg if possible, and a more comfortable and well-planned interior. Toyota just never got the memo on any of that. My silverado 2500 rides better, pulls way, way more, has a nicer interior, and cost the same as my dad's Tundra. I've always like the Tundra, but felt they were horribly overpriced for the features/performance.

As a Duramax owner, I've been extremely impressed by the truck. It pulls my 30' travel trailer with absolute ease - I have to look down and take my foot off the pedal or I'll be going 75-80 and not realize it. My old Ram ecodiesel and Ram Hemi both had to be pushed hard to get anything over 65 mph, which is somewhat expected from a half ton pickup. I cruise at about 1600-1700 RPM at 70 mph down the highway with a trailer with no downshifting on any hills. Again, my old half tons would have done fine, but were way higher RPM and way more downshifting to keep from dropping 5-10 mph on extended grades.

But I do agree that Motortrend ratings are heavily influenced by financial factors that have nothing to do with the vehicle they're rating. That being said, when they were rating the Ram as the best new truck, it was a no-brainer the nicest riding and nicest interior truck out there, and the most affordable. Calling the Tundra outdated is hardly a new opinion either.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Motor Trend - 03/11/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
The Tundra has been outdated for 5-6 years at least. A gas-thirsty V8 with poor ride quality and late-90s interior was fine up until 2010/2011 or so, but in 2020, it seriously looks and drives like my old 1999 Silverado. But about a decade ago, Ford/Chevy/Ram all realized that if they wanted to charge $40k for a new truck, customers would like to have decent ride quality, better mpg if possible, and a more comfortable and well-planned interior. Toyota just never got the memo on any of that. My silverado 2500 rides better, pulls way, way more, has a nicer interior, and cost the same as my dad's Tundra. I've always like the Tundra, but felt they were horribly overpriced for the features/performance.

As a Duramax owner, I've been extremely impressed by the truck. It pulls my 30' travel trailer with absolute ease - I have to look down and take my foot off the pedal or I'll be going 75-80 and not realize it. My old Ram ecodiesel and Ram Hemi both had to be pushed hard to get anything over 65 mph, which is somewhat expected from a half ton pickup. I cruise at about 1600-1700 RPM at 70 mph down the highway with a trailer with no downshifting on any hills. Again, my old half tons would have done fine, but were way higher RPM and way more downshifting to keep from dropping 5-10 mph on extended grades.

But I do agree that Motortrend ratings are heavily influenced by financial factors that have nothing to do with the vehicle they're rating. That being said, when they were rating the Ram as the best new truck, it was a no-brainer the nicest riding and nicest interior truck out there, and the most affordable. Calling the Tundra outdated is hardly a new opinion either.

So, basically, a 10 year old Tundra is on par, or slightly under to that of a newer 3/4ton Silverado diesel? Got it. Not bad for a 5.7l gas truck.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Motor Trend - 03/11/21 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

So, basically, a 10 year old Tundra is on par, or slightly under to that of a newer 3/4ton Silverado diesel? Got it. Not bad for a 5.7l gas truck.

No you completely missed what he was saying.

He said a new tundra is on par with a 10 year old 1/2 ton silverado.

Re: Motor Trend - 03/12/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Nah. I only see what I wanna see.
roflmao bolt

Re: Motor Trend - 03/12/21 04:32 AM

Nah. I only see what I wanna see.
roflmao bolt

Yeah, redchevy had it right.

Tundra is a good truck, and I'm a heavy Toyota guy when it comes to cars/suv's, but it's horribly outdated, has a terrible suspension, gets terrible mpg, and at best, tows the same as the standard V8 from Ford/Chevy/Ram. My dad just upgraded from his 2013 Tundra to a 2019 Ram and it's night and day improvement in every way possible - price, mpg, features, towing power, ride quality, etc.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Motor Trend - 03/14/21 11:21 PM

I think some of you should be able to differentiate between the 1st & 2nd generation Tundras. Don't know when the first gen Tundra hit the market but the 2nd gen was first produced in 2007 with 5.7 V8. The 2 generations are as different as day & night.

Re: Motor Trend - 03/15/21 11:43 AM

My dad's 2013 Tundra and my buddy's old 2015 Tundra are my two frames of reference. I never drove in an older one. The "new" ones do drive like my old pre-2000 Silverado's though, if that's what you mean...
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Motor Trend - 04/08/21 01:56 PM

I have an 07 Tundra with 175,000 miles on it. I love the truck. I love that it tows our travel trailer great. It never breaks, though I did have to have the starter replaced at about 170,000 miles. And one tail light went out. That’s it in repair in 14 years.

Not the best ride or mileage, and kind of basic compared to what new trucks offer, but I am very happy with the truck. It’s just bulletproof.

Still wondering if I should get a 2021 Tundra with the V8 or the 2022 with the turbo V6.

My brother had a Tundra for 5 or 6 years, then went to Chevy. Says he’s going back to Tundra.

Re: Motor Trend - 04/08/21 02:40 PM

603, how much did a new starter set you back? I hear they are spendy for the toyotas.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Motor Trend - 04/08/21 05:32 PM

It was expensive. If memory is correct, it was about $1500. That said, having a Tundra and a Lexus, which rarely break, I don’t know what repair costs run these days. When I had that BMW, I was on a first name basis with the service manager, and they got a lot of my money, but it isn’t that way with the Tundra. When I went straight from BMW 5 Series to the Tundra, I was uneasy that nothing ever seemed to need to be done on the Tundra. It felt wrong. Surely something needed to be done. But no...Months passed and years passed and still no work was needed. After that BMW experience, it was a huge change. I did love the beemer though.

Once a year, in the Spring, prior to towing season, I take the truck to the dealership for a bumper to bumper check. This year, as in the past, all fluids were changed out. Everything else was fine. The tailgate damper has sort of given it up, so I have to use two hands to put the tailgate back up, or replace the damper. I guess that’s some sort of failure if I was being real picky.

I will buy another one when I feel the urge. I do hope the increase in Tundra electronics in 2022 (over my 2007) won’t cause problems, however minor.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Motor Trend - 04/16/21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I have an 07 Tundra with 175,000 miles on it. I love the truck. I love that it tows our travel trailer great. It never breaks, though I did have to have the starter replaced at about 170,000 miles. And one tail light went out. That’s it in repair in 14 years.

Not the best ride or mileage, and kind of basic compared to what new trucks offer, but I am very happy with the truck. It’s just bulletproof.

Still wondering if I should get a 2021 Tundra with the V8 or the 2022 with the turbo V6.

My brother had a Tundra for 5 or 6 years, then went to Chevy. Says he’s going back to Tundra.

Same here except my 07 Tundra has 325k and counting. Are the other brands really cheaper if you have to buy twice as many?
Posted By: gander

Re: Motor Trend - 04/17/21 01:50 PM

My dad's 2013 Tundra and my buddy's old 2015 Tundra are my two frames of reference. I never drove in an older one. The "new" ones do drive like my old pre-2000 Silverado's though, if that's what you mean...
I drive and love my 13 Tundra but they have needed a major update for a few years. I have no doubt that what Toyota comes out with will be solid. I am actually looking forward to the V6 twin turbo as I am a fan of the 3.5 ecoboost however I hope they keep the 5.7 but bring it up to date.
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: Motor Trend - 04/17/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gander
I drive and love my 13 Tundra but they have needed a major update for a few years. I have no doubt that what Toyota comes out with will be solid. I am actually looking forward to the V6 twin turbo as I am a fan of the 3.5 ecoboost however I hope they keep the 5.7 but bring it up to date.

Everything I am reading says the 4.6 and 5.7 are gone. It looks like choices will be the V6 tin turbo, likely out of the LS50 and a hybrid offering.

People don't buy the current Tundra for the latest and greatest. They buy them (including me) because they are the most reliable on the road and in spite of a couple MPG penalty are rated the lowest cost to own over a five year period.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Motor Trend - 04/29/21 10:26 PM

Looking for some comparison information. I have 2 Tundras (2007 and 2010). I'm a 58 year old man with high mileage. I don't really have a problem with the ride but I do have a problem with the seats. I have the bench 60/40 split. I can't hardly walk after a three hour trip. Same in Fords of different year models. But a Chevy and Gmc Denali seats leave me feeling much better after a long ride. Car makers seen to think comfort mean all the BS features they put in a truck, comfort to me means how I feel after going on a long ride.
Anyone ever see rankings of comfort of seats in pickups. Can't very well determine much on 10 minute test drives.
Just asking.
Thanks

Re: Motor Trend - 04/30/21 01:27 PM

I will definitely consider a toyota turbo 6. If they are stuck with the N/A v8's they cannot compete in economy or power with the turbo offerings and I wont consider one.

I know motor trend and many rave over toyota reliability, but from my experience it just isnt so different for all of them. Up until last year or so we had 3 GM vehicles with well north of 200,000 miles on each that were all very reliable vehicles with no major issues at all. I havent put a starter on a vehicle since my 1994 chevy which got a starter at like 250,000 miles that i changed in 15 minutes for under $100.

I currently own a cursed RAM 1500 diesel and other than a plugged up DPF which was caused most likely by a tuning issue in the most recent EPA forced computer flash for the emissions systems I have had great luck with it. In 100,300 miles I have had to replace a radiator cap and that is it, not even a fuse or light bulb. Hopefully some new after market tuning will arrive at my door next monday and it will be even better.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Motor Trend - 05/08/21 08:21 PM

New rumor. They have found a recent patent for V8 Twin Turbo by Toyota. That would make some headlines.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Motor Trend - 05/09/21 09:54 PM

I will definitely consider a toyota turbo 6. If they are stuck with the N/A v8's they cannot compete in economy or power with the turbo offerings and I wont consider one.

I know motor trend and many rave over toyota reliability, but from my experience it just isnt so different for all of them. Up until last year or so we had 3 GM vehicles with well north of 200,000 miles on each that were all very reliable vehicles with no major issues at all. I havent put a starter on a vehicle since my 1994 chevy which got a starter at like 250,000 miles that i changed in 15 minutes for under $100.

I currently own a cursed RAM 1500 diesel and other than a plugged up DPF which was caused most likely by a tuning issue in the most recent EPA forced computer flash for the emissions systems I have had great luck with it. In 100,300 miles I have had to replace a radiator cap and that is it, not even a fuse or light bulb. Hopefully some new after market tuning will arrive at my door next monday and it will be even better.

I agree whole heartedly about the " Toyota is so reliable...." Kool-aid. All truck makers have vehicles that can typically run north of 200k without any malfunction especially a major one and just routine maintenance and the majority of those can do it being ridden hard and put up wet. I'm comparing apples to apples not a 1994 Ram vs. a 94 Tacoma but Since Toyota started making the Tundra in a full size in 2008 to current.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Motor Trend - 05/10/21 12:44 PM

Toyota, Ford and GM are all pretty reliable from what I've seen.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/10/21 06:04 PM

Who’s gonna be in line for the Ford Lightning. All electric, castrated, and little green plants that grow in the display. It probably comes with a hobby lobby discount card.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/10/21 07:20 PM

Kind of a slap in the face to Lightning lovers out there. Hope its fast.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/10/21 07:56 PM

Have to admit, the name is fitting.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/10/21 11:01 PM

It’s not the same.

I owned the Road And Track Lightning that was loaned to them through Doug Stanley Ford. It was a blast to drive, looked and SOUNDED like a hotrod truck. Also have owned several Mustangs of various years.

To know that a Mustang is an electric suv and a lightning is an electric grocery getter is disturbing. [Linked Image]

Re: Motor Trend - 05/11/21 01:59 PM

To know that a Mustang is an electric suv and a lightning is an electric grocery getter is disturbing.

Yep

Re: Motor Trend - 05/11/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

To know that a Mustang is an electric suv and a lightning is an electric grocery getter is disturbing.

Yep

I guess, I have no want to own or drive either. All mustangs are is the loudest most annoying slow car on the road next to you and lightings are just about pointless. I have no love for battery cars, but one thing they do and do really well is go fast.... all be it for a short while lol.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/11/21 02:48 PM

Short is right. I was reading where GM's new electric military toy has a range of 75-150 miles. My truck is over 700 miles at 65 mph. No thanks.

Re: Motor Trend - 05/11/21 04:11 PM

I hadn't read about them, but knowing how military equipment is over engineered, I wonder how that compares to normal run of the mill operation and loading?

Like I said I'm absolutely zero % fan of electric vehicles for practical applications like commuting and vacationing etc. but as a sport around on the weekend short trip fast ride it seems like they fit the bill as much as anything else... although I'm convinced the only reason to own a mustang is to be incredibly loud obnoxious and inconsiderate to others on the road.
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Motor Trend - 10/14/21 09:19 PM

Have to admit, the name is fitting.

I saw where the new Hummer would pull the Lightning backwards if they were back to back.

Re: Motor Trend - 10/14/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

Yep

I guess, I have no want to own or drive either. All mustangs are is the loudest most annoying slow car on the road next to you and lightings are just about pointless. I have no love for battery cars, but one thing they do and do really well is go fast.... all be it for a short while lol.

You’d hate my wife’s Mustang then. She wanted loud and had a full rousch exhaust put in. Beyond obnoxious is an understatement. Personally I hate the car but it’s hers and she’s happy, that’s all that matters
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Motor Trend - 10/16/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I think some of you should be able to differentiate between the 1st & 2nd generation Tundras. Don't know when the first gen Tundra hit the market but the 2nd gen was first produced in 2007 with 5.7 V8. The 2 generations are as different as day & night.

Funny my 2017 Tundra gets slightly better gas mileage then my brother's 5.0 F150. It could be the driver but don't think so.

Re: Motor Trend - 10/16/21 05:22 PM

Funny my 2017 Tundra gets slightly better gas mileage then my brother's 5.0 F150. It could be the driver but don't think so.

Under same conditions very doubtful

Re: Motor Trend - 10/16/21 09:29 PM

Under same conditions very doubtful

I’d doubt it too. I have a Suoercharged 5.7L Tundra and it AVERAGES 10.3 mpg. I’ve never seen it above 15 riding empty and setting the cruise at 75 mph or so. But, it does out run almost every truck made. There are a few exceptions. A couple Dodge trucks and a couple Fords. Chevy ain’t got anything close…..yet. I’d like to see a GMC with an LT4 with around 750-800hp.,,that could be a riot. And the LT4 truck would still probably get 16-17 on the highway.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum