Texas Fishing Forum

REVISED: New Key Fob / Programmer installed

Posted By: Holzer

REVISED: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/01/20 02:56 PM

Sorry, I may have asked this question before but can't recall.

I need another key fob programmed.
I haven't done it yet because I know they have to plug into the computer of the truck to program the fob.

I have a programmer installed and don't want to screw anything up.

Should I have any concerns in having this done?
Disclaimer: I will NOT go to the dealership. So I would like to use a small garage / one of these guys advertising on facebook that do it out of their van.

Thoughts / Concerns?
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/01/20 05:20 PM

Had the same for my Mercury Mountaineer, needed extra fobs made, didn"t want to go to local dealer , took the time, drove to Wills Point Ford, In and out in a very few mins. correctly done and fairly inexpensive. Very nice considerate folks there.

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/01/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor Neil
Had the same for my Mercury Mountaineer, needed extra fobs made, didn"t want to go to local dealer , took the time, drove to Wills Point Ford, In and out in a very few mins. correctly done and fairly inexpensive. Very nice considerate folks there.

And you had a program/chip on your Mountaineer?
Posted By: Mo

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/01/20 07:29 PM

Check with Batteries plus Bulbs.

I saw they were selling fobs when I was in there ( Tyler location ) a few weeks ago. I assume they program them.

Mo

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/02/20 01:22 PM

I must not have articulated my post in the manner I intended.

I don't need any assistance in finding a provider for a new key fob. I can find one within 5 miles of me in 60 seconds or less.

I have a aftermarket programmer installed.
I want to be sure that when the contractor plugs into the vehicles computer to program the new fob, that it doesn't mess with my programmer.

Sorry, I don't know what terminology to use other than program, programmer, chip. You know the thing that can do things like boost your horse power, increase fuel mileage, allows you to delete the emissions, blow black smoke, whatever else those things can do to an engine, etc.
Posted By: DieselP2

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/03/20 01:39 AM

If it’s a ford we will not have to touch the programmer to program keys. Two completely different modules. If it was tuned with an ez lynk they will have to know how to “push” through the initiation sequence. Hope that helps

Wes
Posted By: hopalong

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/03/20 08:37 AM

can you not reset to factory till after they are done?
I use a superchips flashpaq on my f150, reset to stock prior to any shop computer work. tell the dealer as well they may have a work around already.

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/03/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
can you not reset to factory till after they are done?
I use a superchips flashpaq on my f150, reset to stock prior to any shop computer work. tell the dealer as well they may have a work around already.

I don't know I can switch back to factory. I don't see that selection on my tuner control.

I have tried the dealership once. Got the ya,ya, ya, as I expected when telling them everything. But then I broke out my phone and started a video because I wanted proof that if they mess something up that the dealership (dodge) would replace my engine. And then I got a totally different response. It was the "glad you told us about that", we can't guarantee...." So got my keys and left.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: New Key Fob / Programmer installed - 09/03/20 11:27 PM

call whoever makes your tuner, I bet there is a stock setting for shop work.

the flashpaq specifically warns about that with the coyote engine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum