Texas Fishing Forum

Transmission Service

Posted By: Len B 1

Transmission Service - 06/18/20 12:15 PM

Ok, took truck to dealer for 80,000 mile service and brake recall. Talked me into fluid exchange on truck for warranty. After $900 drove home seemed to be ok. Hook trailer up go to tourney out of town, get there fill truck up and go to ramp, starts lurching high rev jerk jerk shifts hard jerk jerk, make it to ramp unload park truck. Come back in load boat drives ok. All wknd runs ok back and forth to ramp. Head home runs ok with a few hard shifts in trans. Get home back boat in garage unpack truck go to pull out and turn around starts revving and jerking again even in reverse. Head to dealer next mornin couldn’t get a mile from home starts again turn around and barely made it home. Call dealer they send tow truck. Dealer calls and says they drove it and drives fine no codes. Now the flame is getting higher on my back side, told them there’s a full tank of gas and toll tag get on highway and drive it like ya stole it. They call and said the mechanic said it had to go to trans shop, imagine that, then have to wait 2wks to look at it back up, the flame just got real hot on my a— can’t get loaner til they diagnose it. Rent car for transportation and go over there and start a nice rip. Said no problem til you guys serviced it finally got some attention and said they’ll squeeze it in. Get call later says torque converter shot and shift packs, but not anything they did when serviced, right, see if warranty will cover but had to approve $650 tear down to fix. All I know is that extended warranty from dealer better fix it.
I have never serviced a trans. on any vehicle and drove them with no problems, but service this one and bingo. Last truck 185,000 and towed all over with it wish I never traded it.
Rant over!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Transmission Service - 06/18/20 03:17 PM

Sorry for your troubles.

I think the way in which they are serviced is more of the problem than servicing them. I have always changed the trans fluid and filters on my vehicles, but do not do flushes, just drop the pan change the filter and re fill. Had a 700r4 with nearly 300k miles on it of commuting, towing a 30-foot TT a 20-foot boat and probably the hardest part of its life a stint of 10 years with a high school and college kid at the wheel. That trans was still solid the day I sold it.

If you are going to want to keep it long term and have it be reliable it needs to be serviced.
Posted By: beermill

Re: Transmission Service - 06/18/20 08:43 PM

99% of aftermarket warranties are garbage.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Transmission Service - 06/19/20 03:43 PM

I've heard many stories just like this one. I've never had an automatic transmission serviced and I've never had a failure.
Posted By: horndale11

Re: Transmission Service - 08/04/20 06:41 PM

I'm with Mark C. Bought a used truck with 77k miles and the previous owner had just had the transmission serviced prior to buying. Lasted a week before needing a rebuild.
i don't believe in it.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Transmission Service - 08/04/20 07:29 PM

Sorry for the problems.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Transmission Service - 08/05/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Sorry for your troubles.

I think the way in which they are serviced is more of the problem than servicing them. I have always changed the trans fluid and filters on my vehicles, but do not do flushes, just drop the pan change the filter and re fill. Had a 700r4 with nearly 300k miles on it of commuting, towing a 30-foot TT a 20-foot boat and probably the hardest part of its life a stint of 10 years with a high school and college kid at the wheel. That trans was still solid the day I sold it.

If you are going to want to keep it long term and have it be reliable it needs to be serviced.

I did same on all my Fords. With Toyotas i just do a drain and fill. On the Fords i installed a drain plug on the pan to make it easier. I still dropped pan and cleaned screen or replaced the filter.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Transmission Service - 08/05/20 03:07 AM

I’ve got an 06 F250 that I bought new, but is now an just used as hunting and fishing vehicle. I had always done the flushes as recommended in the manual. At around 125k miles the transmission was still shifting fine and I took it to the dealer for a flush (only place Around with a flush machine). They called me later and asked if I was having issues because it wouldn’t move when they tried to back it out of the garage. I said no. Initially they tried to put it on me, but I was getting hotter by the second. They finally agreed to cover it and broke it down- the torque converter and front pump were fried. It took about 2 weeks to get it fixed- the 1st reman torque converter they put in was no good. A few years later I was talking to a guy that worked there and he told me that a new employee had somehow run it out of fluid.

It drove ok, but never did quite seem the same after that. At 174k miles I tried to pull my boat up a steep ramp and it wouldn’t move, Fluid smelled burnt. I ended up going with a Jasper reman. It may be coincidence, but I’m still convinced it was related to the incident at the dealer. The guy at the transmission shop was adamant about not flushing and dropping the pan/changing filter instead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum