Texas Fishing Forum

Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner

Posted By: B.K.S.

Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/15/20 04:27 PM

Anyone out there tow a 20' bass boat with a 4x4 4 Runner? How does it do?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/16/20 05:30 PM

I towed my 375V Ranger for 8 years with 2 different Tacomas with the 4.0. The 375V is 18' and a F&S so a little heavier that a regular bass boat of same length. Also the old Comanche's were not known to be lightweight hulls. I towed my current boat home form LaFayette with my 2013 Tacoma. The only issue I had was the 21 gallon tank. Trips to Texoma would almost require a fill up on the way home. If not then shortly after. I ran 75 on the interstate all the way home. I stopped for gas in Aleandria and did notice a slight bump in MPGs on 93 octane. My Champ weighed in at 4650 without the tongue weight and 45 gallons of fuel. If it were not for the fuel capacity and the fact that I just wanted to get back in to a full size truck I would still have the Tacoma.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/16/20 08:04 PM

I'm sure it would be ok for short trips but I wouldn't plan on driving 75 mph.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/16/20 08:34 PM

I have been pulling a 2003 Champion 188DCX with a 2003 Toyota 4x2 4Runner for almost 5 years with no problems. The only thing I have is a little bit of sway with it being a single axle trailer and the older 4Runner being wind sensitive anyway. No trouble pulling the boat out of steep ramps, actually had more tire spin with a 1/2 ton Chevy truck. Just be sure your trailer brakes are working correctly.
Posted By: KYBluefan

Re: Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/18/20 02:43 PM

Towed our 18' 3" Skeeter with '19 T4R ORP no issues. Left it in manual mode. Wife's uncle towed one of those twin jet engine Yamaha boats with his FJ without issue. Think it was 23'. He did get a Yukon Denali for the longer trips though.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Towing with a 4.0 L Toyota Four Runner - 03/21/20 12:02 PM

I coworker pulls a 19ft pathfinder and his only complaint is his gas mileage, but he is a speed demon. If a recall, he mentioned that his MPG drops to 7 but drives near 70 MPH on the freeway. I recently purchased a 2020 for my wife; with the intentions of towing my 18ft Kenner in the future. I may do it sooner when she's not looking. smile

Go for it but, I recommend to stay under 70 and take it out of 5th gear unless on a straight path. Keep us updated.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum