Texas Fishing Forum

Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights

Posted By: Yankinlips

Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/01/19 07:19 PM

Truck: 2014 Tundra
Trailer: Skeeter/Ezloader
Issue(s):
1 - I've had to disengage the surge breaks on the trailer due to being unable to back up at times. I use that little magnet attachment to keep the pin from sliding back n forth. The breaks would engage and keep me from doing so.
2 - I have back up lights on my trailer that won't work. They do work with other trucks hooked up, just not mine.

Is this a fuse issue, wiring issue?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/01/19 07:58 PM

Does the truck have the flat 5 pin plug? If so could be fuse or the reverse lights are not wired into the truck plug.
Posted By: Yankinlips

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/01/19 08:01 PM

I've checked the fuze box and come up empty. Checking to see if how the truck plug has been wired.

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/01/19 08:05 PM

Should get 12v on the end female plug with the truck reverse lights on....
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/01/19 10:17 PM

From what you are describing you have may a fuse out on the truck. The tundra has one fuse for reverse lights and another for trailer back up. I’ve seen trucks where guys swear the fuses are good because the reverse lights work. But the back up fuse is blown. The bk/up fuse is in the cab. This shows it to be fuse 22 in the cab. Top diagram is under hood box and further down is in cab fuse box

22 is tow back up and 26 is reverse lights

https://imgvehicle.com/toyota/tundra-ii/fuse-box
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/03/19 05:24 PM

You can engage your emergency brakes and turn the key to on without starting the truck. Put the shifter in reverse and test the center pin on the trailer hook up at the truck for power. Just verify that you have a good ground.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/03/19 05:55 PM

I don't think it is something wrong with the truck, I think it is just how it is set up.

Our '04-'06 GM trucks have functioning trailer lighting from the factory and haven't been messed with. They will not work on our boat with surge brakes though. All our other trucks work on them fine.

That is just my experience, those trucks were all factory wired and work with every other trailer that we have that has no brakes or electric brakes, but they will not activate the solenoid to disengage the surge brakes when you back up.

Re: Tundra Issue w/ trailer brake surge and back up lights - 09/04/19 01:18 AM

If the trailer works fine behind other trucks I am sure the problem is with the truck! Either the reverse light wire is not wired to the plug on the truck side or a fuse is blown! As stated before several times check the truck plug, I am sure there is not 12v on the reverse pin when the reverse lights are on....... all those other trailers probably did not have reverse lights or surge brakes with a reverse lockout solenoid so the reverse light wiring was not needed on the truck side. Not uncommon for the factory not to wire reverse lights to the truck plug.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum