Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter Surge Brake problem

Posted By: M. Massoletti

Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/12/19 03:21 AM

I have a 2009 skeeter with a dual axle trailer. I have recently started having issues backing the trailer especially if it's up an incline. If i'm at a ramp and already on a decline I haven't noticed an issue, only on relatively level ground to ground that is inclined. Since it seems to back fine on a decline it leads me to believe that it is not a wiring issue as far as not grounding properly. Was looking for some other possible issues that could be causing it. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/12/19 11:18 AM

Check and make sure your reverse light are working on the trailer. You may have blown a fuse on your truck.
Posted By: M. Massoletti

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/13/19 08:01 AM

Thanks I will look at that
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/22/19 05:08 PM

If the trailer has been stored for a long while and not used, the brake fluid can go bad and become like sludge, thick as syrup on a very cold morning. I had the same problem with my trailer and brake shop found the problem, took several flushes to get the old fluid out but once new fluid was put in system surge brakes went to working correctly. My trailer had been in my workshop for 2-3 years with no use. Boat hangs in boathouse so trailer idle for long periods of time.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/23/19 02:49 AM

If you have power on the reverse light wire on the plug the solenoid on the trailer could be bad...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 06/26/19 04:42 PM

Have you changed tow vehicles recently?

Our boat is that way. Pulling it with either of our 2004, 2005, or 2006 GM vehicles it doesn't activate the brake cut off when your in reverse. The ram trucks we have a 15 and 18 work as they are suppose to. There is likely an issue with how the wiring on the tow vehicle is set up or you have a burned out fuse, or could be the solenoid I believe on the trailer is bad?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 07/09/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71
If you have power on the reverse light wire on the plug the solenoid on the trailer could be bad...

Hook up the trailer, set the emergency brake, turn the truck key to on and put the shifter in reverse. Best done on level ground. Then check to make sure your reverse lights on the truck are on. Now you can test the trailer connection at the truck to see if the reverse circuit has power. If your wire harness is like mine and has a quick disconnect on a 5 way flat then you can test there. Next thing you need to test is for power at the reverse selenoid on the inner slide. You can can pull the inner slide real easy, if you have power at the selenoid (which is on the back of the inner slide) then you have a bad selenoid.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Skeeter Surge Brake problem - 07/10/19 05:08 PM

I had the problem and it was fixed using Chris B’s solution above
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum